Zoa question.

I had my big tank inactive for about 6 years. I kept water in it and everything going all this time. I did not monitor water temp, salinity, nor any lights since there was nothing alive in it. Or so I thought. I had a rock with a colony of Zoa's on it that my daughter found. She started a nano saltwater reef about 6 months ago and was looking for some rock to put into her tank and found this rock with what I thought "use to be" a colony of Zoa's. they were completely closed up and white. I told her what they were and she put them into her tank. about 2 weeks later they started opening up! There are about 20 heads and brown and they look to be as healthy as they were 6 years ago! I never would've believed it. I know this sounds a little hard to believe but it's true. Has anyone else seen this?
My salinity was around 1.01, temps went into the 60's, and no light at all.
I am in the process of getting my tank back up and running. Had to rebuild 3 of my pump motors and replace my protein skimmer motor and I drained everything and just about finished with the cleaning process and then on to filling it back up. Wish me luck!

Back