Zoas getting eaten help.

Scizzle

So I've last 150$ worth of zoas in the last 1.5 weeks. King Midas, watermelon, my clementines.

I don't know what it could be. A cleaner shrimp maybe. I haven't seen any emerald near them or fish. Is there any pod that eats zoas? I do have 2 cleaner shrimp a peppermint and 4 emeralds I pulled one emerald and I have had 1 cleaner, the peppermint and 2 emeralds for a long time. I pulled one emerald that obviously wasn't it. Any suggestions?

I would check for sponge growing and taking over. This happened to 2 great colonies I had recent. By the time I thought to check for sponge, one colony was 90% gone, and another was 50% gone. I lost over 100 polyps. Flipped the rocks over and saw white sponge growing all over the crevices and up to the back of the zoo mat. It was making its way under the polyps in random patterns and couldnt be seen from the front.

Might not be this, but worth checking for. Do you have other zoos doing well in the tank?

So I've last 150$ worth of zoas in the last 1.5 weeks. King Midas, watermelon, my clementines.

I don't know what it could be. A cleaner shrimp maybe. I haven't seen any emerald near them or fish. Is there any pod that eats zoas? I do have 2 cleaner shrimp a peppermint and 4 emeralds I pulled one emerald and I have had 1 cleaner, the peppermint and 2 emeralds for a long time. I pulled one emerald that obviously wasn't it. Any suggestions?

Have you added any new LR or coral lately. If so maybe nudibranch.

I added zoos from someone. But I dipped them and checked for pests. No sponges, frags are what have been eaten. I have a bunch of zoos but they've been eaten in different areas around the tank. I havent seen any nudibranch. But the zoos look almost scraped off.

What about those tiny star fishes that are white, I forgot what they are called. I had a bunch in my tank, and got rid of them because they was eating my coralline algae, and also heard they eat zoas.....I don't know if you have any, but it's worth looking for...good luck.

Ok so I have a few options. Either it is an emerald crab a hermit crab, a shrimp or my foxface. It has to have the ability to wipe out 10 or less polyps in less than an hour. I left and my frag was fine I got home it was gone. This is dumb and it's ****ing me off. I don't have any stars or spiders or zoa eating snails or nudibranch.
Argh.

i dont know if you have one but i had a long spine urchin eat all my zoa's once. very frustrating after buying a few off ebay and a couple from lfs only to come home and witness the urchin on the frag plugs munching away =( needless to say that wont happen again lol.

I just got rid of my Foxface who acquired a taste for all my zoas that covered the back wall on my 125. Easy way to tell is not to feed him for a couple of days and see if his belly is still fat.

Yeah I'm thinking it has to be a fish. It happens too fast for a shrimp or crab. I'll have to watch the fox.

Got rid of my foxface. I lost another half colony of zoos after not giving him seaweed in the morning before work. That was it shut the lights off and got him and traded him for a mandarin.

fox faces are brutal man it is hit or miss in reef tanks normally it is a miss

if your south florida pm me i have tons of higher end zoa

fox faces are brutal man it is hit or miss in reef tanks normally it is a miss

if your south florida pm me i have tons of higher end zoa

Yeah true.

Sarasota, I'll keep you in mind. I'm holding off on coral purchases for a little while now just in case haha.

Back