Zoas vs Lemonpeel Angel

brvheart

All of my Zoa's are closed. They have transitioned from always open to partially open to now all closed, over the course of about a week and a half. The only change in the tank is the addition of a B&W Ocellaris Clown (who I just noticed has Lympho now) and a Lemonpeel Angel. I've spent a lot of time watching the Lemonpeel and he has never nipped any coral in the tank that I've seen. Yes, that's a big caveat, and yes, I know the reputation of the Lemonpeel. I thought I'd give it a shot since most of the research I've done has pointed to much more harrassment of SPS than LPS or softies.

My question is, how long can the Zoa's stay closed before I start running into problems? (as in, death..) I've always had good luck with them and have never had this happen which is why I ask. I would like to rule out chemistry and lighting as possible culprits before yanking the Lemonpeel out.

Thanks!

Well, I would remove the lemon peel right a way!!
Just avoid angels and butterflies in your zoa tank at all costs.
Remove the angel and if the zoas weren't damaged they will open same day!!!!!
Make sure the clown isn't irritating the zoas as well.

Grandis.

I do understand that removal of the Lemonpeel would be an obvious answer. I do want to clarify 'though that the real question I'm asking is how long the Zoas can remain closed before they die.

I'm not 100% sure it's actually the Lemonpeel's fault. I've never seen him nip at the Zoa's or ANY other coral. And as I said earlier, there are a few other things like light cycles, placement, water chemistry I'm troubleshooting first.

I would do the troubleshooting independently of the fish removal.
Zoas can stay closed for long, long time. Months at a time...
How long they will be alive will depend on what the problem is, of course.
You'll need to figure that out.
Please remove the fish and continue the troubleshooting.
Good luck!

Grandis.

Last edited:
Back