Z's upgrade build

bigzman

Build thread v2.0. :). As some of you are aware I have been trying to upgrade my 210 gallon (formally mixed reef) for the last 2 months. I have asked mods to close my last build thread. First attempt was a 300dd but this time around with much support and many great ideas, I have decided to go with my original desire of a 8 foot tank. At this time the dimensions I am looking to get is 96x36x30. I am leaning toward acrylic and also a new sump 72x20x20.

Thanks to Mikes design drawings and ideas, I am looking build an overflow to support 4500 GPH.

Last tank was slated to be a sps tank not sure yet if that will continue. One thing i am sure of is my desire to keep some nice fish. Also upgrading to an auto water change system. Roger I will most likely need some help on this.

Unlike last thread I will wait until tank arrives before ordering additional items.

Thank you all for following.

Very nice. Where are you getting the tank from?

Edit: FYI there is a dialyseas for sale in the used section right now. Great price too in case that's what you were planning.

Sorry forgot to write. Short distance of tape on floor marks what was going to be 300DD compared to my current 210. The longer distance is what new tank will be. Total Length of wall is exactly 10 feet. Still looking into builders.

I followed the last build, and I am definitely following this build can't wait to see this one!

Not sure if you ordered your tank yet, but check out www.CustomAquariums.com. They built my 96x30x24 starphire. Anodized aluminum rim, no cheap plastic. They do push their patented H2Overflow, but I just had them drill holes to make my own acrylic overflow. Great quality and they blow away any competitors price in the market. 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of the common names.

They do build a lot of tanks so expect to wait, but I think you can pay to have your tank expedited. If you use their stand you get a lifetime warranty (I didn't). Shipping is included on their online pricing.

No problem. I'm surprised more LFS don't use them since they have a retail program. But fortunately you can deal direct which is nice.

Good deal! You always really wanted a 8' tank, anything less and you would have regretted it. ;) Are you considering glass? I'm terrified at the thought of how easy acrylic scratches.

+1 on cuzzas tank, I've seen it to, very nice.

Yes glass is a candidate but after seen Mikes tank and the amount of options one can do with acrylic I am tempted. Yes I am scared of scratches but it's all about care.

Robthorn, sorry should have completed thought. Options for acrylic and glass are near but glass side it's expensive from quotes I am seeing acrylic cost less per option.

Any updates? I had the exact same tank in acrylic about 7 years ago and it was awesome. The only issue was reaching the bottom back corners but I'd do it again if I had the funds.

Z for auto water changes, I've been using a liter meter for years. Works great. Can also add an extra pump for fresh top off. If your not familiar with it, you can come look at my set up. I've got dual 50 gallon barrels in garage I draw from.

Any updates? I had the exact same tank in acrylic about 7 years ago and it was awesome. The only issue was reaching the bottom back corners but I'd do it again if I had the funds.

Sorry no update at this time. Tank order is being placed.

Z for auto water changes, I've been using a liter meter for years. Works great. Can also add an extra pump for fresh top off. If your not familiar with it, you can come look at my set up. I've got dual 50 gallon barrels in garage I draw from.

Thanks I might take you up on that.

Back