Z's upgrade build

Still in process. Just been busy with work and discouraged to a degree. I am going to see a brand new acrylic tank in Orlando today.

It worked out well. I made offer it was accepted. Thanks. Tank is 90x36x24. Bit of a change but all is looking well. Center overflow trapezoid 3 1.5 inch bulk heads and 2 1 inch. It has not seen water. I am working on getting it home Wednesday. Still have to source sump sold the original 75 to snake1. Also working on figuring out stand and canopy.

Look for

Look for

Anyone have a paint sprayer for sale. Wanted to ask before going to harbor freight. Need it to coat inside stand and want a clean look.

Update:

Update:

Well after one failed attempt to get a tank and many months of intensive work and travel. 5 months later a tank is here. All the way from Orlando.

20160224_184516_zpsgwih60en.jpg

Here are some specs.

Sump/Refuge:
60lx30wx18h
20160224_184530_zpsta9zdiwz.jpg

Tank:
90lx36wx24h acrylic (Cast)
Overflow is a center 28 inch wide trapiziod and has 3 x 1.5 inch drains and 2 x 1 inch.
20160224_184552_zpslic6tsba.jpg

Stand:
90x36x40h

I will be working on stand this weekend and now that I have tank I will focus on selling 210 (Aggressively).
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2532770

I have ordered gate valves and waiting on 3 t5 ballast and canopy.

I want to thank everyone for ideas and support. I will be detailed and hope to have many more updates for the good. I really want to thank Mike for his help and time in sourcing tank as well as the amazing stand. Roger for the many suggestions on lighting.

To buy list:
Tunze Strong algea cleaner.
Big skimmer
t5 bulbs.
and CA reactor.

Until the next update :)

Last edited:
Sweet! Following...

BTW I have a small canister paint sprayer that you can borrow. Great for small projects but requires at least a 10 gallon air compressor...

Wow. Impressive. So, by my calculations, just over 330 gallons. This is a nice upgrade Z. I look forward to seeing it in person one it is up and running.

Good luck!!!

update

update

Update:

So I have been super tied up with work. But making progress. Here is some of the staining I am working on. I will write more tomorrow. I have all plumbing (but missing valves) ballast for 6 x 60 t5. Also water proof inside stand and canopy. Thank you mike, rob, and Jake for all your help. So after $46 worth of different stains. I got to the final color buy mixing 3. So all I have left is to stain once with lighter color maple. Bring out grain colors. Sand and than stain again with my mix of 3. Then I will start work on protection.

Last edited:
That's a pretty good match. If its a water based stain, it will raise the grain when you apply it. To avoid that, wipe the wood down with a damp cloth to raise the grain and let it dry, give it a quick sand with 220 and it wont raise again for the stain.

Todays work

Todays work

Todays Update.

Final coats of kiltz and water proofing are now complete. A total 4 coats. Side are chalked. Next up is elastomeric coat on the bottom 4 inches. I have never done this kind of prep work before. Although exhausting it has been good for stress (I think). Next step is staining. I have prepped all saws and with stain prep. Although the stain I got does not need it.

Also removed protective covering on sump.

Lids on:

Hope to update more tomorrow. I hope to apply stain first thing in AM and seal by noon.

Back