1 day old- distressed clam?

mnmsea

118699maxima_clam.JPG

I just introduced this maxima yesterday. he was ok after acclimating him. I put him on the rocks and he fell off. I found him on the sand and righted him. now today, he doesn't fully open. I am distressed! :eek1:

what are the chances that he is going to live? I only had the MH on for a couple hours today.

what are your water param's?
What fish and inverts do you have?
How did you acclymate it?
What additives do you use and how do you dose them?

temp is 79
salinity 1.025
ph 8.2
no ammonia, nitrites, nitrates

acclimated by suspending bag in the tank and put about 1/2 cup tank water in and 1/2 bag water out over 45 minutes before taking it out and placing in the sand.

should i not have the lights on?

alk- normal

fish: 2 ocellerus, 1 bengaii cardinal, 3 chromas, 1 royal gramma

i do the two part calcium B-ionic...i'm checking the calcium now.....

Lighting?

My experience with clams is that they open up within minutes of being put in the tank. I'm assuming you inspected it closely for pests?

it has an apistasia on the shell... i didn't think that would cause major distress! of course, how do I deal with that??? i guess, I will worry about that later...if the guy lives....

oh..lighting. I have 250W 10,000k MH only on for a couple hours today. compact flourescent for about 7 hours....

what is the alk reading in dkh/ppm or meql

You should scrub the aptaisia off with a toothbrush, there is a chance it may be the culprit.

do you have any crabs or shrimp?

i have peppermint shrimp, a cleaner shrimp and hermit crabs...none of them appear to be bothering it. The apastasia must have been on it at the lfs, so I didn't thin it was a problem...yet..

what do you use for alkalinity test? i never tested for mag. what should the alkalinity be? how about the mag? what should the mag be?

I use all salifert test kits.

Here is a good link with lots of info and it has several other links with even more info. Please check it out and read up:D

link

Aiptasia will sting clams and they close up for 6 - 24 hours. Also, aiptasia are able to move 12" - 18", sometimes more during a given day, so you may want to get ride of him before he's gone and reproduces.

Back