100 Gallon rock cleaning/curing station

Ted_C

I built out and got my rock cleaning / curing station setup. Currently running around 250 pounds of pukani rock through this thing. I got some rock from another reefer - so I figured it would be a good idea to run it through a thorough kill + clean + cure.

2016_05_22_Rock_Station_1.jpg

2016_05_22_Rock_Station_2.jpg

There's two TUNZE TURBELLE STREAM 6085 pumps down on the bottom + a LITTLE GIANT - 2-MDQX-SC INLINE pump for recirculation.

All of the rock rubble is in the filter sock.

Right now - it's bleaching (two gallons of heavy duty pool bleach).

I'll move it out back next week for the muriatic acid bath (dont wanna mess up my garage floors)

After that - it'll be curing with lanthanum chloride drips twice a day.

overall, I dont have an enddate goal in mind. My tank build is still in flux as I think about how I want to do things.

I was going to do: 2 days bleach bath (tapwater) / 2 days of rinsing (Tapwater) / powerwash (tapwater)
dry for 1 week
1-2 hour muriatic acid bath (Tapwater) / 2 days of rinsing (tapwater + baking soda) / powerwash (tapwater)
dry for 1 week
Then let it soak in Saltwater (RO or maybe RO/DI) for a month or two with twice a day lanthanum chloride doses. It might go up to 3-4 months depending on how my build progresses.

This past long weekend - I moved all of the rock and equipment into the back yard for the muriatic bath. I only ended up using around 4.2 gallons over the course of 3 hours. I'd slowly add a gallon over a 10 minute time frame, let the bubbles dissapate, then add another. The rock rubble in the filter sock came out after the first gallon.

I had to change filter socks out and clean them once every 20 minutes or so. Lots of particulate came off.

Now the story is getting the plumbing done in the garage for a water mixing station.

2016_06_01_Rock_Station_Muriatic_1.jpg

2016_06_01_Rock_Station_Muriatic_2.jpg

2016_06_01_Rock_Station_Muriatic_3.jpg

Thanks Roger - you know how I like to think things through and do the best I can.

Man - it's so damn expensive though getting everything needed. I think I'm spending around $2000 a month on "Stuff"

Thanks Roger - you know how I like to think things through and do the best I can.

Man - it's so damn expensive though getting everything needed. I think I'm spending around $2000 a month on "Stuff"

Yes u r. I feel u. U saw my new setup exspencive

also go ahead and pressure wash all those rocks!

I did that before I put them into the muriatic acid bath.

Even after the bath - I noticed alot of keratin still on the rocks and some clam meat that was still hanging on. Picked every rock clean with needle nose pliers after the bath.

I pressure washed mine after the acid bath, it helped get a lot more crap off of them.

Exactly!! You would be surprised to see what comes out of small holes and also you notice the rock looks slimy and brownish after a acid bath, pressure washing all of that out of cracks is a big deal

Looks like a nice setup, us just get so worried about acid, and making sure every bit is out of every little crevice before tank ready

Water mixing station set-up

Water mixing station set-up

So with a major outlay of cash last week (and a lucky 10% sale at spectrapure for Memorial day) - I was able to pick up everything I need for my 2nd water mixing station.

Started last week by plumbing in the drain side of the laundry tub. I wanted a way to tee off the standpipe I had for the laundry for the laundry tub drain. I'm a pro at PVC - but this drain plumbing isn't quite like gluing pvc together - as it has those compression fittings. Also, the existing standpipe already had a trap - and I couldn't use the supplied piping as that would result in a double trap. Easier than I thought with a trip to home depot. Ended up using an end outlet to make it work.

On Saturday - it was working on the copper soldering. I already had feeds in the garage outside the wall for the laundry - so I didn't think it was going to be as hard as it turned out. I had a 3/4" tiny outlet for the cold water and had 1/2" for the hot water. For some reason, the previous homeowner tied into the hot water to feed the refrigerator ice maker. I had switched it over to the cold with the funky contraption / garden hose wye you see on the valve on the right in the pics below.

The hot side went in like a breeze. the cold side - i probably spent a good 4 hours soldering and re-soldering. I had a lot of trouble getting the solder to stick to the 3/4" x 1/2" 90 / pipe. 2 trips to home depot to replace bent fittings. Turned out to just be a cleaning issue with the pipe I guess. Got it to stick around 9 PM that night. That made for a long long day.

Started plumbing up the fresh and saltwater containers on Sunday. Finished that up on Monday. Got them from Glenn Industries (of course). He's down on automobile blvd just off of Ulmerton (South of St Pete / Clearwater airport).

the spectrapure came in on Tuesday night - so I started getting that ready.

Glued foam to the back steel plate to dampen vibrations. Drilled all the bulkheads required for the fresh water tank (two floats, one flush, and one input). The input has a redundant float valve to stop the water from overflowing.

The glue was set by wedensday night - so I mounted everything up and started making water.

Water mixing station: Overall
2016_06_09_300_Water_Station_3.jpg

My crappy copper work:
2016_06_09_300_Water_Station_4.jpg

Spectrapure UHE 100:
2016_06_09_300_Water_Station_2.jpg

Plumbing for the water mixing station:
2016_06_09_300_Water_Station_1.jpg

Nice set up for sure.
You might want to reconsider evaporating that much bleach inside your garage in the future. Highly corrosive which I am sure you already know.

You might want to reconsider evaporating that much bleach inside your garage in the future.

I don't understand. I didn't evaporate any bleach. The bleach ran for a day and i rinsed with tapwater twice over two days. Moved it all out back for the acid bath. It's been sitting out back since memorial day.

Looking good! What kind of float did you use for the lower freshwater float?

Spectrapure provides two floats with the UHE 100 - the lower float is one of theirs. I think the lower float controls two things: one is turning the unit on when it's dry. Two is allowing the system to draw from the 3/8" to perform an auto-flush.

The upper float (provided by spectrapure) should turn the system off when it's wet.

The emergency float I have - stops the water flow but doesn't shut down the UHE100:
http://www.amazon.com/Ideal-H2O-HLF...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

The water station looks awesome Ted.
Thanks! It's my second one.

Back