10g progress!

dime079

i built this tank based on the ac fuge mod thread of reef_dude(thx a bunch man) finally i can say that i am with out any algae break out of any kind :rollface:

tank has been up since march, so 6 months into the hobby and im loving it. thanks again to everyone that has helped me out thus far. finally i'll leave you w/ some pictures.

IM000563.jpg

IM000564.jpg

IM000566.jpg

IM000568.jpg

IM000569.jpg

thanks again!

so you just added the fuge w/some chaeto or something in it? and you had a bunch of algae in the main tank and now its gone? That settles it...i gotta get another hob fuge for my 55 lol. I had one on there but the lip thing that it hangs by broke off, so i havent had one for a while. And now i think about it, all my algae started popping up after that happened.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8086114#post8086114 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sir_dudeguy
so you just added the fuge w/some chaeto or something in it? and you had a bunch of algae in the main tank and now its gone? That settles it...i gotta get another hob fuge for my 55 lol. I had one on there but the lip thing that it hangs by broke off, so i havent had one for a while. And now i think about it, all my algae started popping up after that happened.

well i beleive the algae problem was caused by the TDS in the RO/DI water at one of my lfs, so i went to the other lfs and the problem dissappeared. but over all i think the fuge is great, i have pods everywhere, and these little spiral things all over the sides of the fuge, whatever those are.

those spiral things are likely just that filter feeder worm...i wanna call it spirobid worm but i know thats not it...something like that tho i think. Anyways, i know what you're talkin about...the white ones? Just filter feeders. I've got about a million lol.

I too had tons of pods when i had my hob fuge. I still do, but i see less of the copepods (tho that might be cuz of the algae covering the sand right now :( ) but i see a ton of HUGE amphipods...i'm talkin maybe a third of an inch or more...they were freakin huge for a pod. They scared the crap out of me the first time i saw them. My sixline enjoys chasing them all day tho...or should i say eating them lol.

on mine i didnt do anything to change it really...i just threw in some live sand (about 2 inches?) a few rock rubble pieces, and then a baseball sized clump of chaeto. Worked pretty dang good i guess. I had tons of pods, and like i say, now that mine broke off, i havent seen too many. Oh, and mine was on a 55 btw...it'd be much better on a small tank imo.

i would take a 55g but i couldnt afford the equipment to go into it :) just thought i'd give you guys a livestock list.

royal gramma
false perc.
2 turbos
2 nas.
4 ceriths
green/brown zoos
brown button polyps
green ric shroom
2x kenya trees and....
a green finger leather (that looks brown, but its green when the polyps hide)

oops and of course that candy cane up top. speaking of .... anyone know how / how long it takes those to grow another head or whatever?

its a current usa - orbit fixture
it has 2x40w daylight and actinic, with one white and one blue moon light. got it for 98$ i think.

Back