115g FISH ONLY TANK!!!g FISH ONLY TANK!!!

Kizzy911

Decided to make my tank a FISH ONLY tank,
Ofcourse I need some suggestions.

I've been told by my LFS that I can stock up the tank with a bunch of fish.
Heres what i have in mind:

-Harlequin Tusk x1
-Lionfish x1
-A tang? (need recommendations, i've been told not to)
-One-spotted fox face
-Maybe 2 dwarf lion fishes
-Triggers (Niger? Need recommendations)
-Puffer fish
-eel of some sort?
Need more suggestions on fish ! Cool fishes? Aggressive fishes are fine also!
How many fishes can i add in a FOWLR tank?

I was thinking of doing no live sand since it's expensive and it will be easier for me to clean a bare bottom tank
Will also put Rock, Does it matter if its Live Rock or Not? Was also thinking of putting some decorations and stuff.
Feel free to chime in.
it's going to have a 30 gal sump and a skimmer
Lights will be metal halides.

What are the dimensions of your tank? Im going to assume that it is four feet. Ill respond again differently if you tell me its something else.
Looking at your stock list you have some issues. Triggers and puffers will nip lions to death. Niger trigs are better than other triggers but honestly when it comes to triggers you never know. Next that list has a huge bioload. I think it is best to split that list into two list to move forward.
List 1-pred tank
Lionfish-volitans get huge and may eat dwarfs, antenetta would be perfect
Tuskfish-great fish but maybe too active for a four foot tank
Eel-snowflake, skeletor, or chainlink could work
Dwarf lion- just get one. Fuzzy dwarfs are easiest
Tang-bristletooth tangs work best in smaller tanks bit a yellow would also work
List 2 aggressive tank
Puffer-a toby would be your.best bet in a 4 ft tank.
Trigger- lagoon trigs such as huma huma or rectangle are slow growing and a small.one would work for a long time
Foxface-i dont know anything about them. Im pretty sure they would work though
Tang-see suggestions above
To the aggressive you can also add some damsels if you like. I would skip the decorations as they will just get covered in algae. Bare bottom is great if you like it, but if you like sand i would get sand; it isnt haed to maintain. If you have the halides then use them, otherwise there are more cost effective and efficient lighting out there like leds and t5s. And if you can fet a larger sump. The bigger the better. Oh yeah, base rock is fine, but i would get a piece of live rock to add to the base rock to get some worms.and other dentrivores in guy your tank

That's a lot of fish for 115 gallons. Some recs:

-Stick with dwarf and/or Antennata lions, volitans/miles get huge.

-Snowflake/Zebra moray or similar will be alright as long as you provide sufficient hiding places. Be extra careful that your rockwork is sturdy if you're going bare bottom. You don't want any rocks sliding and causing an avalanche.

-A larger toby puffer would be the best puffer choice. I say larger because those lions can swallow fish a lot bigger than your think.

-For a trigger, stick with a Xanthichthys trigger (i.e. Blue Throat). They stay smaller and are much more docile.

-Harlequin Tusk is out - definitely needs at least a 6ft tank.

-A bristletooth tang and/or a foxface would probably be ok.

-Pick six of these fish total and make sure you have an oversized skimmer! :thumbsup:

Oh, and I've kept numerous triggers and lions together with no issue. But then again, others have had the opposite experience.

Lions and triggers I've mixed with no issues:

1) Rectangular trigger + Dwarf Fuzzy lion

2) Volitans lion with the following: Niger, Pinktail, Picasso, Hawaiian Black, Blue Throat

I've had a lot of success with a dog face puffer, porcupine puffer, snowflake eel, niger trigger, yello tang, ocellaris clown. must have a lot of places for eel to hide and make sure the top is covered so they can't escape.

I've had a lot of success with a dog face puffer, porcupine puffer, snowflake eel, niger trigger, yello tang, ocellaris clown. must have a lot of places for eel to hide and make sure the top is covered so they can't escape.

But what size is your tank? I don't think you can keep all those fish successfully in a 115 gallon tank.

Oh, and I've kept numerous triggers and lions together with no issue. But then again, others have had the opposite experience.

Lions and triggers I've mixed with no issues:

1) Rectangular trigger + Dwarf Fuzzy lion

2) Volitans lion with the following: Niger, Pinktail, Picasso, Hawaiian Black, Blue Throat

I like this post.

Note on my post above: both times they were in large aquaria. Mix #1 was a 200g reef, Mix #2 was a 700g fish only.

Back