125g 2 in 1 Seagrass Reef

Yes, but not on a large scale. I just want to supplement my erectus seahorses' diets with some live food and, if I ever breed them, it'll make the transition to frozen food easier.

I think I'm still going to do that seagrass bed tank, I'll just have to be careful which fish I add so the mysids don't disappear.

The shoal grass is growing again! I don't know for sure, but I think before the dinoflagellates were preventing it from growing and now that they're gone, the seagrass can photosynthesize and breathe.

That's great news! I can confirm that observation too. Coating algae can smother them.

Mini Strombus snails can climb and clean skinny sea grasses. They are the only ones that can do that. Mollies will also help clean the grasses. I did a lot of manual removal to keep my grasses going, before I had enough snails.

Has anyone ever heard of shoal grass sprouting new leaves from an old leaf? It's happening with a few of my plants. See pics.

Now that the dinos are nearly gone, hair algae took over, and that was soon replaced with the current cyano. Anything's better than dinos, of course.

Attachments

• grasscircle.jpg
    grasscircle.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 0
  • grasscircle2.jpg
    grasscircle2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 2
If you compare that to the last tank shot, you can see that the shoal grass has really returned. Before, there were at most 10 plants. Now, I can't really count them. Such a relief to have healthy seagrass again! It was my biggest tank-related concern for months. Next up is getting rid of the cyano, and I expect it'll go away on its own soon, with the help of the ATS.

Last edited:
Your seagrass looks great. I am sure that is exciting to see it reproducing. Congrats...and good luck with the cyano. I am sure you will get it under control soon.

I have not seen my Shoal grass do that. I HAVE seen my Manatee grass do it. Given how similar they look, it wouldn't be that unusual for you to have a Manatee grass or two. Just give them a little squeeze. Manatee grass is round, like a broomstick. Shoal grass I flat, like a ribbon.

Now that I think about it, my Shoal grasses were stowaways.

I'd love to see more of your tank, The Purple12. You've got so much going on! More updates and pics would be great. You and Vlangel are doing something unique, and we could all learn from your experience, like how you manage the 'tightrope' of corals v plants.

Mo deets yo!

Well, I just did a water change and the tank's a little cloudy. I'll take some pics in the morning :D

I can't say there's a large amount of entropy in my tank, but maybe a little... :twitch:

The shoal grass is finally growing, along with the new widgeon grass. That stuff gets tall! It easily reaches the surface after a bit of growing, and I just trimmed it down a lot. I think I read somewhere that widgeon grass can grow on rocks? Not sure if this is true, so I put some in the seahorse tank to find out.

The Johnson's is constantly spreading, but since its leaves are so delicate I always accidentally remove a ton with each water change.

The turtle grass is growing! Most of it died off, but a couple plants remain and are getting taller every day.

I'm not convinced seagrass needs high nitrates to grow. Mine have been under 5 lately (not on purpose, I blame the caulerpa that's spreading like wildfire), and the grasses are doing better than ever. The sandbed is the only other source of nutrients, so it must be pretty rich currently. I've been feeding my fish more lately, and that equals more poop. Any thoughts on this?

On the reef side, the corals aren't growing much and aren't looking their best. I think this is due to the mysterious low alkalinity of around 5.5, and I've started adding baking soda every day to raise it. I use this calculator: http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Hair algae is still persistent. The ATS isn't growing very well for some reason. I think I'll try lowering the photoperiod of the scrubber. I really want to get a tang to eat it, but I don't want to risk it eating the seagrass. Maybe a Ctenochaetus tang would work, but I haven't seen any of those in the local shops.

As for the mysis project, they all disappeared again! I was feeding BBS daily, but they slowly dwindled to 0. The tank was room temperature, it was thoroughly oxygenated, salinity was 1.026, and water quality was good. I might try again, just not anytime soon...

That's great your seagrasses are growing! I didn't know you had Turtle grass too. So you have 4 sea grasses? Impressive!

Your idea that seagrass doesn't require high nitrates is correct. Seagrasses outcompete macro algae by being able to get by with lower nutrients. That's why I think seagrasses are a better match for corals than macro algae, in aquariums.

That makes sense, as seagrasses have roots and macros don't.

Here are the pictures as promised, let's see if this works:

b>

b>

b>

Back