$15 rotating Sieo powerhead mod

chinaman4u

Premium Member
I was christmas shopping and came upon this on sale for $15. Orig $50.

sieo3.jpg

I removed the motor. The motor reverses by itself for safety reasons upon hitting a stop. So I used 2 aluminum angles for stops. The swingarm rotates, hits a stop and reverses automatically. By adjusting the angles, I could adjust the rotation for 45 to 180 or more degrees. I cut the one end of a 3/4" pvc to fit onto the end as shown.

sieo1.jpg

I did something similar with a slow timing motor (something like 3 RPM), a pushrod, and an acrylic bracket:

IM002596.jpg

Let us know how yours works! Any chance you have a part number or supplier for that santa?

I got it at Michaels. It a large arts and crafts store. I think all the animated christmas things use a similiar motor. I was looking for a self contained motor with a swing arm similiar to what der_wille has, the reversing thing was a bonus I discovered while fiddling with the display unit.

I would need to make a bracket as well when I install this thing more permanently. But so far its working great.

Took all of 30 min to set this up.

Great idea guys. I thought about building a rotating mount for my maxi-stream mod also using a RC servo motor. But this might be even cheaper.

D.

sorry for hijacking, but i think that you might have a phosphate problem with all that algae in your tank...

I am just coming off of a algea bloom due to old lighting. The algea was much worse.

BTW. The motor is prewired, and theres even an outlet for the powerhead(normally where u would plug the lights in) and its already weatherproofed for snow!

der_wille_zur_macht,
Do you think you could post some links to a motor like that? I've been googling and can't find anything. What did it cost you?

der_wille_zur_macht, please do post a link to where we can get that motor? Also what is the torque rating on that motor. TIA Ted

Back