Beam Deflection - 15 years and I finally broke down and wrote a how to.

BeanAnimal

Premium Member
I was over on the other forum - and made the mistake of getting involved in a "how long can a 2x6 span for my stand" thread... I dislike those threads. They are full of nonsense opinions, misapplied math and calculators and very hard to provide fast answers in.

I started to write this almost 15 years ago, but never got around to it until this week.

It may have mistakes. I did not build a calculator or proofread yet... I may get that part in another 15 years. So short of somebody telling me that I made a HUGE error in calculations or something is way put of place, it is a finished work ;)

Who are we kidding
1697844198547.png

You two didn't even click the link.
"Beam Deflection"

"Welp.. I have laundry to do... or something other than read that".
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I clicked it. Got about to the calculations and thought to myself, this is why I buy prefab stands lol but looked like a good article though!

Lol - well, I hope it made some sense. I honestly have no idea of these things help people or not.

It made sense, and brought some common sense to things. Like I’m pretty certain I knew a 2x4 sideways was stronger than a 2x4 flat but when building a stand, can’t say I would have thought of that if building a stand

TLAR that looks about right
water bunkbeds
IMG_0939[1].JPG
100 gallons each
180 stand
IMG_4312.JPG

55 gallon stand
2020081719350967-273865840958730094-IMG_2920_heic.JPG

Math is for babies

Just kidding.

Last edited:
In truth very good write up. The end could stir up another long debate on sistering or joining two or more pieces of wood/plywood verse single thicker pieces.

In truth very good write up. The end could stir up another long debate on sistering or joining two or more pieces of wood/plywood verse single thicker pieces.
Thanks.

One or Two - virtually the same for our purposes, even if not joined together at all (assuming the load rests on both). You get the benefit of defects (knots, cracks, bark inclusions) not going the whole way through.

I read it- very cool! Wish I had something that clear about 20 years ago. Especially helpful on your site as a whole were the finely integrated sections regarding bacon.

Last edited:
Back