20g long sump design question

Camps23

I picked up a new 20g long (30x12x12) tank last week and Im looking to install my baffles soon. Im not looking for anything to fancy I like to keep things simple but effective. I have always just ran a drain/skimmer section, bubble trap, refugium (live rock & cheato), bubble trap, return section.
I picked up a bubble magus nac 7 with a footprint of 9.5x8.5. Im thinking of making the return/skimmer section 10x12.Im open to any suggestions on layout.
BTW this sump is for a 50g cube rimless cube Im in the process of setting up.
Thanks

Image001.jpg

i like mine in this order, drain skimmer, return, fuge fed from return pump.
put the bubble trap on the drain side and the more room you have in the return section the better for evaporation, unless you have a top off system.

nemosworld design works also. thats what i had on my 40B,,,but i typically always run my sumps how u designed urs in the graphic there..id say stick to what you know works

So when setup like nemosworld suggests, you need to T off your return to feed the tank and bring water over to your fuge section ? Whats the advantage of this ?

I never understood the return in the middle either where you have to pump water into the fuge. Either pump it in or let it flow in from the skimmer section, it is all the same water. Why complicate things with extra plumbing?

I never understood the return in the middle either where you have to pump water into the fuge. Either pump it in or let it flow in from the skimmer section, it is all the same water. Why complicate things with extra plumbing?

I have never got that one either.

All 3 of my tanks (( 75, 65, 40 )) have 20 long sumps, all have the same design.

From RIGHT to left;
Inflow/skimmer
bubble trap
fuge
single baffle
return section.

For my 75
006.jpg

For my 40 breeder --- the skimmer has since been replaced, but the layout is the same as the 75's.

029.jpg

The purpose is to be able to control the flow rate through your refugium without throttling back the entire system.

the bubble trap is designed to reduce bubbles from getting in your return pump and back up to the display. bubble trap goes before return section, your fuge if done the way i described will not need one.
by the way, there is nothing wrong with your design, i was just giving you an option.

Back