220 Gallon Reef Build in the Caribbean...

Here we go again. New Aqueon 210RR is on island, and on the stand. I am now replumbing and rewiring. Hopefully should have water in tomorrow. The old tank failed on the bottom seam about 1/3 across the front. The tank is supported only from the corners and this is also where it had failed when I bought it used. There just isn't enough support in the primary seal I suppose. I was a little worried about whether the stand may have been the problem, and am still unsure of the tolerances when levelling. Unfortunately a spirit level only tells you so much and the most accurate thing I have (surprisingly) is an app on my iPhone. Of course once I have an inch of water in there it will become apparent! The old tank is being donated to the local humane society for use as a terrarium. I feel that I could have separated the panes and repaired it, but for the sake of my fiancee's sanity I elected to get the new one. At least if this one leaks I can't be accused of doing it wrong!

Glad to hear your back in business... Its been quite an ordeal getting mine which is supposed to finally arrive in Orlando tonight, be delivered to store Monday and maybe I'll get it on Tuesday. So I feel your pain getting started.

Just read your whole thread. Glad you are back in business. Been wanting to visit tortola for a while. I've heard nice things. Try joining the Florida Marine Aquarium Society. They are based out of Miami/ft Lauderdale. They can give you good recommendations on help and other things since it's the closest to you.
Can't wait to see it stocked up. Luckily you can get sand/rock from your areas. Here in FL we can't unless you have special permits , which are very hard to come by.. :(
Very nice how you will have local critters to display what we have in the Caribbean.

A little off topic, how's the cost of living there? Properties?

OK. Have had the sand and rock in for a few days now. Attached some pics of the rockscape as well as a few of equipment in general. Quite a few hitchhikers in there considering it's less than 10 mins from the ocean to the tank, but now the ammonia levels are sneaking up and I'm not sure what will survive the cycle. Current stats are:

Ammonia - 1.2ppm (compared to 0.3ppm three days ago)
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Salinity 1.025
pH - 8.1
Temp - 82 - Contolled by Apex, changes with the season table.

Have my biopellets churning and skimmer is producing lots of skimmate. Have also been changing the filter socks every few days.

Also having some trouble finding a way to get good pictures of the tank with my Nikon... have a buddy who's a pro photographer and will see if he has a few tips.

I also have copepods reproducing and the beginning of some diatoms on the sand bed in the tank already which is kind of cool.

DSC_0015_zps2af70db8.jpg

DSC_0016_zps9c851a49.jpg

DSC_0017_zps47ac241c.jpg

DSC_0018_zps900de803.jpg

DSC_0020_zps26ba17af.jpg

DSC_0022_zps93cac3dd.jpg

DSC_0025_zps63712bab.jpg

DSC_0026_zpsf65887b4.jpg

DSC_0031_zpsb41a03b3.jpg

Thinking about it... Every time I use the bladder in the Jeep I have to clean all the carpets, etc (even a little salt will kill a steel frame). It's definitely still an option, and if the Ammonia levels reach 2.0 then I will do water changes to bring it down. In the meantime I'm going to try to be patient and see how this goes.

Looking great... So jealous of that free live rock and all the hitchhikers. I've got a bunch of dead rock but I'm going to add a fair amount of overpriced live rock. So many people want a sterile tank with seeded dead rock but too much of a sacrifice for me. I've gotten so much good stuff via live rock before and not going to sacrifice it so I'll take the chance and deal with pests if I get them. Finally got my tank and got water going in now and hopefully full up and running with rock and sand by Monday latest. Too bad no fish store to run out too or I'd say get a bottle or two of the instant ocean stuff or continuum bactergen to make the tank safe again. Hopefully that cycle will drop off pretty quick.

Some updated pictures below. Seeing Xenia polyps, emerald crabs, sea hares, all sorts of stuff... Not sure I'll be able to catalogue it all. Some green calcareous algae growing really fast as well. Cycle hasn't finished yet so I'm not going to try and identify everything yet. No sign of Aiptasia, but I'm a little worried about it after reading about it.

DSC_0004_zpsaa30c547.jpg

DSC_0002_zps89bc586b.jpg

DSC_0020_zps13be0dfc.jpg

DSC_0012_zps370f6989.jpg

DSC_0013_zps0262da25.jpg

DSC_0014_zpsd1441523.jpg

DSC_0011_zps91696f6a.jpg

DSC_0010_zps207ba1ff.jpg

DSC_0001_zps1c04d4dc.jpg

DSC_0004_zps9561e3b5.jpg

Sweet! It's looking good. Cool hitchhikers! But beware of the sea hare. They have toxins. I would remove them.
Other than that you have some good ones!

Sweet! It's looking good. Cool hitchhikers! But beware of the sea hare. They have toxins. I would remove them.
Other than that you have some good ones!

From everything I have read they are dangerous. Right now they're sorting out my hair algae issue. I will return them to the sea before they starve, however.

Some pics! There are a few things that have to go as they are not reef safe. For now this is what we have...

Flame Scallop
DSC_0014_zpse62c72ca.jpg

Serpent Star
DSC_0015_zps10425e13.jpg

Cerith Snails (I picked up about 20 of these)
DSC_0030_zps8ba3c0e3.jpg

Margarita Snail (This guy is at least 2" across)
DSC_0038_zpsf925841c.jpg

Blue Legged Hermit (Got two of these)
DSC_0057_zps68add6bb.jpg

Haven't figured out what this is yet...
DSC_0058_zps1d68b35c.jpg

Four-Eyed Butterfly Fish
DSC_0062_zps9b8f5492.jpg

Xenia Polyps
DSC_0064_zps72d7d6f8.jpg

Think this is Halimeda
DSC_0118_zpsefa8593e.jpg

Damselfish #1
DSC_0073_zps8e2cd3f7.jpg

Banded Coral Shrimp (There are actually two in there)
DSC_0074_zpsa29453ae.jpg

Baby Lizardfish
DSC_0077_zps03278d4b.jpg

Arrow Crab
DSC_0078_zps3d7d710f.jpg

Yellow Tang
DSC_0080_zps989abf8b.jpg

I think these are Zoanthids...
DSC_0082_zpsb98b0c23.jpg

Pencil Urchin (about 3.5" across)
DSC_0108_zpsc7003f1e.jpg

Pipefish
DSC_0111_zpsec91913c.jpg

An anemone which is yet to be identified...
DSC_0119_zps9f8086ba.jpg

Current water specs:

pH: 8.19
Salinity: 33.0 ppt
Ammonia: 0 ppm
ORP: 367 mV
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 1 ppm
Phosphate: 0.04 ppm
Calcium: 500 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.0 dKH
Iodine: 0.07 ppm
Magnesium: 1400 ppm
Potassium: 428 ppm
Iron: 0.02 ppm

Pretty sure the zoo's are actually some sort of tunicate. Nice red ones though. Most of what I have ever had on rock were maybe yellow to near colorless. Cool yellow tang... the Caribbean ones turn blue at maturity right?

I know some of the best Ricordia comes from Haiti (think only place left where colony rocks can be collected) but is Ricorda present at all where you are? If its like Florida I guess you just have to know where it is. I went diving off St Croix a couple times on one trip but don't recall seeing any ric, zoo's or shrooms (Bahamas either). Of course when/where I was that was not long after the die off started. I think that was sediment/bacteria that the currents brought from Africa that was blamed.

Zoomonster - I also believe the Caribbean yellows mature to blue later. Not completely sure but I've heard of it. Hopefully someone can confirm or clarify.

Either way, got some nice stuff capt!!

220 Gallon Reef Build in the Caribbean...

Watch the pencil urchin. They can move rocks. And cause your scape to collapse in some areas.

Back