25 clowns in a 180?

vthondaboi

Premium Member
I've heard that if you put enough clowns in a tank they won't get aggressive towards each other.

I was thinking about setting up my 180G again and doing a clown tank with a bunch of carpet and rose anemones.

The species would be true percula.

Anyone have any experience or any lins to something like this?

check my little red house. I have 26 in a 210 with 18 BTA's

Skip to the end to see the fishies.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8112690#post8112690 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mobert
check my little red house. I have 26 in a 210 with 18 BTA's

Skip to the end to see the fishies.

wow beautiful tank and great clown pics! i aspire to have a tank like yours some day.

how many would be considered "enough" so they won't be as agressive to each other? how many are usually together in the wild?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8113950#post8113950 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by arcab4
how many would be considered "enough" so they won't be as agressive to each other? how many are usually together in the wild?

I don't know but I think it helps that my clowns have always been together. Definitely helps that none were ever a dominant established mature pair.

Wow, Mona you have a beautiful tank, and the clown pictures look so cute!

not to hijack this thread - but my thought was to have one dominant pair established and add mutliple smaller ones so that any aggression would be dispersed and since there would be a huge size difference, there wouldn't be much of a challenge to the established bigger pair.

we'll see...:)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8116010#post8116010 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by arcab4
not to hijack this thread - but my thought was to have one dominant pair established and add mutliple smaller ones so that any aggression would be dispersed and since there would be a huge size difference, there wouldn't be much of a challenge to the established bigger pair.

we'll see...:)

With Clarkii, it worked until the babies started to mature. Then the parents tried to kill the young adults. There was very little aggression when they were babies. Also, when you add wild caught clowns, you really have no idea how old they are. They could be small adults and clowns can be very brutal to their own kind.

If I were going to try it I think that Mona's model of adding a whole bunch that are from the same clutch and never apart is probably the best way to try. I still suspect that there will be trouble in the long run once there is a dominant pair it is natural for others to grow and either take over or be run off... it is how the fish work. But if you want to go through the whole process once every 18 months or 2 years or however long it takes, there is nothing wrong with in IMO.

Back