250 mg cipro in 5 gallons or 175 mg of cipro for 5 gallons?

Tango451

Quick question... for cipro if the anemone is in ht with 5 gallons of water, should I use 175 mg or the standard (from Minh's directions) 250 mg (I know he said he uses it in 10 gallons but I only can use 5 gallons)

Also are 2 31 watt actintics strong enough for a carpet in a hospital tank in 5 gallons of water (150 halides isn't working) or I have a 8 t5 unit that I can use wood block to get the center of it over the recycle bin hospital tank)

I use 2 HT sizes depending on the specimen. One is 10g and the other one is 5g.

My preferred is the 5g cube unless I am treating a large gig. 5g 100% water changes are fast and less wasteful, plus I can afford to do multiple water changes per day if needed.

With the 5g cube, I normally start treatment with a 250mg tablet on day 1, but then use 125mg (half tablet) after that at each WC. This dosage has worked several times for me successfully.

Thank you! I just added another 175 mg right after putting him in for 250mg

Here is my set up as of now, if you have any thoughts on anything else I should be doing could you let me know?

Also, if Minh sees this or I know you know as well, when he wrote every 10 hour cycle do a water change... Does that mean leave lights on for 10 hours, do water change, add cipro then leave lights off for 10 hours and then do another water change and add more cipro, etc?

And would 62 watts total of actinic (white and blue) be sufficient or would you put on the 8 t5 bulb unit?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
Also let's just say I wanted to do a water change in 4 hours from starting now (used water from my tank to start and in the process of filling up RO to make my own salt and I want to use that for him), do I add the same dosage for day 1 of cipro (250 mg) as I did let's say 4 hours prior? And if I could do 2-3 water changes daily is that ok/ do I just add the same amount of antiobiotic everytime I do the water change?

What kind of nem is that? A red haddoni? If so, try to get it out of the PVC so that can expand and absorb the medication. I learned the hard way that haddoni can and will attach to the glass when in QT, which is far better than using a pipe or bowl as they don't get enough water movement.

I use 25 mg ciprofloxacin per gallon.
I change water nightly 100% and added medication after water change. Normally at about 10 PM or so. Whenever the anemone deflates I do a 100% water change and re-added medication. If I do this water change in the later afternoon then I just use it as the daily water change and turn the light off that day and skip water change that night.

D-Nak - it is a red haddoni and I am going to do my best to get him out (should be easy) his foot is attached so I'll just peel him off, thank you for telling me this - I never would have known

And Minh, thank you so much (going to follow 25 mg/ gallon) going to do the water change for tonight now using coral sea pro synthetic, water is at 76, might raise it to 78 for him and I put my 8 T5 bulb unit on instead of the atinics to help with light

Here is a pic from now (going to try and remove him before next water change which will be in about 40 minutes once the saltwater is ready)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 0
His foot was on very very tight on the pvc - which I am hoping is a good sign. I got him peeled off, just took a little longer than expected. New synthetic water is in, 175 mg of cipro in, and lights off.

Minh, I remember reading that you were saying light breaks down cipro. Does that mean the medicine works its best at night? Also, is 8 hours of darkness long enough or should it be longer or shorter?

In full sun the 1/2 life of Cipro is 6 hrs I think. Under out light , a lot of the Cipro still around when the light cycle end, unless you go crazy and put him under 1000W MH.
Under full sun after 12 hrs about 25% of the medication is still around.
That is why I recommend that we does one dose at light out. Full exposure to antibiotic over night and then the level decline slowly during the day.

Got it, thank you. I'm going to follow you and keep dosing at night/ water change at night.

Here is a picture from now, lights haven been on for 1.5 hrs so far.

Is temperature ok between 75-78 and averaging 76/77 or should they be higher (79/80)?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0
Back