265G show + 125G sump - Reef Tank project in a constant evolution

The only thing about variable water levels in the sump is that skimmers tend to be very sensitive to water levels and will foam and overflow all over the place. You must keep the water level stable at least in the skimmer section.

Dave.M

Yes the first and second section is stable the third one is variable and thats why I dont know How to use it effectively.

Put the reactors over there. The skimmer section will be crowded. Crowding in the sump makes it difficult to do maintenance. Making it less likely you will do the maintenance. Everything is going to need to be pulled and cleaned approximately every six months. Make it easy on yourself.

Put the reactors over there. The skimmer section will be crowded. Crowding in the sump makes it difficult to do maintenance. Making it less likely you will do the maintenance. Everything is going to need to be pulled and cleaned approximately every six months. Make it easy on yourself.

Ok good to know I was not sure that reactor can go in my third section, So cuzza What else is needed in there?

What type of tank are you setting up? Soft corals, LPS, SPS, Mixed reef? Heavily stocked, low stock?

Describe the type of reef you want as that will dictate whether or not you want to add some other equipment.

I dont really know yet But for sure its not gonna be a try in try out I will read and make sure stuff work together. But I want colorfull Minimalist, Mixed reef, Low stock prefer having invert, and small schooling fishes. A the top one big guy but I want Passive tank. I love the polyps and the clams to.

In that case I don't see you needing much more. You'll have the room for a ATS, Bio, Pellet reactor, etc. if you decide to increase your stock levels or have nutrient export issues.

But at this point there's not much else I would put in the sump.

In that case I don't see you needing much more. You'll have the room for a ATS, Bio, Pellet reactor, etc. if you decide to increase your stock levels or have nutrient export issues.

But at this point there's not much else I would put in the sump.

Ok thank you so much.

Blackshark
I am just wrapping up a new 420 tank with a 180 sump. Started with sump under the stand.... the more I looked at it all jammed tight I went to plan b...or more of back to plan A... moved sump in basement... spread out everything... makes cleaning and automation easier...when you move water from one end to another over weirs... it eliminates micro bubbles... just my .02

Last edited:
My sump-isms:

1. Thumbs up on a basement sump. Makes lots of things possible that an in-stand does not; whole lot less swearing too :)
2. Socks are pointless IME
3. My sump goes: settling/heater/reactor chamber, clam refugium, chaeto refugium, bubble trap, then return/ATO.

You too! And there I was thinking , 'I'm special'. :lol:

Well yes you are all kind of special I spoted guys that seam to have similar build or with good experience. I hopethat someday I will be able to share back all the experience you transfered to me.

ÃŽ was just kidding ....

BTW, meant to ask, how are you doing those cool sump drawings? Some kind of architectural/rendering program.

Blackshark
I am just wrapping up a new 420 tank with a 180 sump. Started with sump under the stand.... the more I looked at it all jammed tight I went to plan b...or more of back to plan A... moved sump in basement... spread out everything... makes cleaning and automation easier...when you move water from one end to another over weirs... it eliminates micro bubbles... just my .02

My sump-isms:

1. Thumbs up on a basement sump. Makes lots of things possible that an in-stand does not; whole lot less swearing too :)
2. Socks are pointless IME
3. My sump goes: settling/heater/reactor chamber, clam refugium, chaeto refugium, bubble trap, then return/ATO.

Dont have a real basement, only a service basement (3 feet high) -_- tomorow I will take a picture of my space under the tank its not so bad. My solution is my loop to the garage with 2X 1inch pvc pipes. but again its only a restricted space in a closet. So I need to take decision on what go in the garage an keep it simple. so quarantine and refugium thats it. I have a tiny house with a monster tank XD

I have to agree with some others to allow the flow from one end of your sump to the other is a much simpler design which in turn will make it easier for you to do maintenance. I run a 180 with a 75gal sump and have a very minimalistic tank and have just a couple live rocks in my center ref section. I run 1-7" sock I also have a Herbie. You will find thy do not like socks but that's another whole discussion.
It seems your whole design is based on the fact you have a 12" skimmer (why) there are plenty of 10" or even 8" skimmers that are powerhouses that can handle a tank like you are describing.
Think simple straight flow big open sections that are easy to clean.

I have to agree with some others to allow the flow from one end of your sump to the other is a much simpler design which in turn will make it easier for you to do maintenance. I run a 180 with a 75gal sump and have a very minimalistic tank and have just a couple live rocks in my center ref section. I run 1-7" sock I also have a Herbie. You will find thy do not like socks but that's another whole discussion.
It seems your whole design is based on the fact you have a 12" skimmer (why) there are plenty of 10" or even 8" skimmers that are powerhouses that can handle a tank like you are describing.
Think simple straight flow big open sections that are easy to clean.

Dont you think my last drawing represent that? simple as 5 pieces of puzzle.
considering that I have double Herbie that need to go in the center for a better drop.

Capture%20drsquoecran%202015-05-27%20a%2023.25.00_zpsthutoeco.png

I am pretty focused on skimmer - JNS ConeS Q-6

Only have one last thing not easy to service its the middle sock but by the time this one clog ... gonna take a while. Its really just a back up.

Last edited:
In my experience socks are usually clogged in four days. You will be changing these out twice a week once your tank gains some maturity, so make sure they're easy to access.

Dave.M

In my experience socks are usually clogged in four days. You will be changing these out twice a week once your tank gains some maturity, so make sure they're easy to access.

Dave.M

Hum, dave you think I should onlyremove the third bag? Or instead of a drilled plate I should place 3 hanger side by side ?

I think they should be in a row, yes, but not under the support bar. Is it really a support bar or just a plastic strand that does nothing structural?

Dave.M

Back