I did a DIY thing and it works!!

STLTim

So, a couple weeks ago a snail decided to break everything by getting in the plumbing and clogging up my Stock overflow. Since I had to take apart my plumbing anyway, I decided to switch to the Herbie method on the overflow and hard-plumb things with unions this time.

For the record, I would have loved to do a Bean Animal setup but could not do that due to the fact that my aquarium only has 2 plumbed holes and I would have had to drill a 3rd. The tank is the Marineland Rimless 93 cube.

I decided to also reconfigure the baffles my previously terrible DIY sump which really wasn't working with my new skimmer anyway (Bubble Magus Curve 5) as I couldn't easily get the water level to 7" without a stand. The Baffles were siliconed in crooked and were coming loose after 6 years of use. The glass tank was an old 20g (standard) tank given to me by a family member who kept freshwater fish in it. So the size was irregular compared to the popular 20 Long DIY sump. I ripped out the old baffles and went to the hardware store and began shopping. I decided to design my new sump similar to one of those fancy Trigger systems sumps as best I could. I got pretty close, but not 100%.

I used Tinker Cad to design. Here's a screenshot of the design:

attachment.php

Anyway, it's been curing for a week and it finally got wet today. I'm so excited at how quiet and nice it is I had to share! It's SO MUCH QUIETER

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 3
Nice! Did you cut the baffles yourself out of acrylic?
Thanks! Yes, I did. I used 1/4" acrylic sheets from menards (cheapest there). I started with a jigsaw and quickly found that it was terrible, so I went and got a triple carbide 80T blade for my table saw. What a difference!

anything for cut outs, I used a router instead of the jig saw as it kept breaking the acrylic.

I used LocTite aquarium safe silicone. It only took about 1 and a half tubes. I bought 3 of them. I just felt more comfortable with it saying aquarium & FDA safe vs going off of popular threads on off the shelf hardware silicone.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Back