29g AGA build/journal

wow i subscribed to this thread a long time ago, and just today connected the name to new age reefs and finally looked at your location. nice tank! i've been following since the start. i like the open scaping, its gonna look great in a few months.

Looks outstanding! Great design and setup all around. Tank has epic written all over it.

Thanks for stopping by Graham. Be careful, I'm a betting man. What are you putting up?

My tank is no comparison but we can play for pink slips I suppose :lol:

I'm gonna ask for at least the 7 ball though!

100_4127.jpg

wow i subscribed to this thread a long time ago, and just today connected the name to new age reefs and finally looked at your location. nice tank! i've been following since the start. i like the open scaping, its gonna look great in a few months.

Haha, nice to see you over here. Thanks for following along.

Too humble... your tank is looking awesome! I love the coral/invert selection. That maxi-mini is nice, how much does it move around on you?

Thank you. It's actually a rock flower nem and it has never moved. It's foot is burried in a hole in that rock and it seems to be quite happy. Hoping to find more that I can place around it.

Really looking forward to watching you tank grow in.

Benny, few quesitons...

1.How has your coral responded to the LED's?
2.How blue is your setup? Would you consider it 14 or 20k?

I'm just beginning to research the LED side of things and plan to keep mostly acans. I don't know how they'll fair under LED's.

Benny, few quesitons...

1.How has your coral responded to the LED's?
2.How blue is your setup? Would you consider it 14 or 20k?

I'm just beginning to research the LED side of things and plan to keep mostly acans. I don't know how they'll fair under LED's.

Well I don't know if I'm qualified to answer either question (or if my answer will provide much value), but I'll try my best based on my limited experience with LEDs.

1. So far I've had a Sarcophytum, Rhodactis, birdsnest, trumpet, and green Montipora cap., under the LEDs. All of them have shown growth but the coloration has not been the best (except for the Rhodactis which glows a bright green). From what I've seen and read, I'm confident you can keep most corals alive and growing under LEDs, as long as everything else is in check (water quality, flow, etc). But I have yet to see deep, vibrant colors like I've seen under MH, T5s, or even PCs. I think this may be due to the limited spectrum given off by the two colors of LEDs in the PAR30 bulbs. There are an increasing number of people out there messing around with different colors of bulbs, trying to find the right combination for growth and coloration.

2. Color temperature seems to be a pretty subjective measurement, especially depending on the light source, but I'd say it's closer to 14K than 20K. It does have a slight blue tinge, but not overly so. There is definitely some fluorescing going on in the Rhodactis, but not as much as you'd see under pure actinics.

I actually have two frags of acans lined up that I will be adding within the next week. I'm hoping to see some good colors from them once they acclimate; for the most part the acans I've seen look better under bluer light.

FWIW, all of the pictures in this thread were taken in RAW format and then processed to match the color temperature as closely as possible. I would say it is pretty close, but probably a little more blue in real life. Hope this helps.

Just read the entire thread and I must say that you have a beautiful set up. Super clean and the rock work is outstanding. I'll be sure sure to keep an eye on your tank as I am sure it will be even more amazing once the corals grow a bit more.

A few more additions. If anyone cares to ID these past genus level, be my guest.

Pocillopora sp.
pocillapora.jpg

Acropora sp.

acropora.jpg

Favites sp.
brain.jpg

Xenia sp. (in refugium)
zenia.jpg

I love that flasher wrasse, I really want to get one.

Yeah he is a fun fish. If you have the room, I would suggest also getting a female McCosker's or another Paracheilinus male. I've noticed that my McCosker's has flashed a lot less since getting him and I sense this is because he has no reason to (no female to impress and no males to intimidate). He does flash when he sees his reflection in the glass though. :bigeyes:

Back