2Tall 185g - Build

Looks incredible, I really like your rock work...Can't wait to see what type of coral and fish you put in there.

It does not look like you will need an MP60 but if you go that route make sure you hear one in action first. I got one about a week ago and I would be returning it if it were not for the fact that my tank is in the wall. When I go in the wall to work on the tank its pretty loud IMO.

Thanks Jan!

Yes, don't think I will need the MP60.
I have heard they are louder than MP40's and considering my 2 MP40's on my 55 are louder than my Dart, skimmers and Eheim 1260... One of my MP40's took a good week before it quieted down, Ecotech told me they may need time to break in, so maybe your MP60 will quiet down in time??

Installed one 800w Finnex Titanium heater controlled by a Ranco thermostat. Even when I install a controller RKE?? etc, I will still use the Ranco Controller as my heater fail safe.
Back in the day, I lost a 90g full of turquoise discus from a bad 250w Ebo Jager...never want that to happen again!!

The cycle is moving right along at day 11:
NH3: 2.0+
NO2: 2.0+
MO3: 10.0

Cycle Update for anyone interested in this amazing transformation:
I think its amazing anyway...AND its the only time you will see your test kit colors so vivid - you hope!:twitch:

Day 14:
NH3: .5-
NO2: 5.0++
NO3: 10.0-

Check out post #44 on page #2 of this thread; that is not the original picture I posted! Also picture #3 on post #48 They changed to pictures I have never seen, What the heck??

Last edited:
Check out post #44 on page #2 of this thread; that is not the original picture I posted! Also picture #3 on post #48 They changed to pictures I have never seen, What the heck??

different photos using the same file names as your original photos.

How's the Snapper flowing? Any noise beyond your Dart?
I shoulda' caught the thickness issue with your MPs.......
Which got me thinking about an algae magnet for 1" acrylic. T

What is the total weight of the rocks you have sitting on the PVC ? Esp. the one sitting at an angle ?

Total weight is about 75-80 lbs. The weight distribution is spread out across the bottom base PVC pipe AND the rock under the angled part of the column.

The angled column is not PVC'ed to the PVC base like the main column is, rather epoxied into a drilled hole and that rock is well epoxied to the main column and adds support to the whole structure as it sits on the bottom and not on the PVC.

The PVC supporting the angled column is almost straight up, I drilled angled holes it the rock instead of having the sole support relying on the PVC.
The structure is actually balanced rather well and has very little movement at the top when moving by hand. The main column is PVC'ed to the PVC base.

My first idea was to make a kind of shish-ka-bob with the PVC and just slipping drilled rock on in a stack; this was too unstable and had a lot of flex. So, I epoxied much of the base pieces together, placed that part in the tank first, then slipped on the per-fitted remaining top pieces. This made it easier and safer getting it into/out of the tank.

Sorry, "PVC'ed" best explained it...:eek:

How's the Snapper flowing? Any noise beyond your Dart?
I shoulda' caught the thickness issue with your MPs.......
Which got me thinking about an algae magnet for 1" acrylic. T
Hey T!
Going to use the Snapper on the close loop, I'm still doing some figuring on plumbing for that - want to make sure its safe. It will be a killer CL with the Snapper! It is a very quiet running pump!
A good algae magnet will come in time, for now I retrofitted a very strong universal magnetic power head mount with felt on both sides, works rather well for now anyway.
:beer:

Day 21:
NH3: 0.00
NO2: 5.0
NO3: 10.0

NH3 is gone, now waiting for the NO2 to drop.
Gettin closer!

Day 25
NO2: 0.25

NO2 almost gone, should be ready for its first visible life - will probably do 4 snails and feed the tank for about a week, then add some cleaner shrimp and wait a few more weeks, then will add the first fish which will probably be a pair of clowns.

I still have to build or buy a lighting system; need to figure out if LED will handle this depth with decent par or if I will need to do the dreaded MH. Going to plumb in my new skimmer this week (ETSS 600 downdraft) and finalize the CL.

Yepe-Ki-Yay, it almost ready!!

How much clearance is there above the tank? If you go MH and have strong circulation, you will see coralline the fastest IMO. Two large Lumenarc type reflectors would accommodate your 25/45 footprint rightly nice:).
You should consider access, as tall as you are, your array should be able to swing out of the way. It could also be raised upward or on a trolly even better.
I'm excited about your lighting quest! T

Last edited:
T,
I really like the swing out idea, thanks!
I believe top to ceiling clearance is 28", still wanting to do LED, but not quite sure yet. I am going to get a temp MH for now until I get it figured out.
Stay tuned....:crazy1:

Day 25
NO2: 0.25

NO2 almost gone, should be ready for its first visible life - will probably do 4 snails and feed the tank for about a week, then add some cleaner shrimp and wait a few more weeks, then will add the first fish which will probably be a pair of clowns.

I still have to build or buy a lighting system; need to figure out if LED will handle this depth with decent par or if I will need to do the dreaded MH. Going to plumb in my new skimmer this week (ETSS 600 downdraft) and finalize the CL.

Yepe-Ki-Yay, it almost ready!!

Say Bugs713. I've been checking into possibly doing a DIY LED lighting system before I have to replace the T12 vho bulbs I have. I've been checking through the DIY forum here and found this pretty incredible thread. The link is to page 13. Check out post #317. I'm only on page 15 or so of about 25 pages. This thread has two guys in Sweden experimenting with LED. Very detailed and excellent stuff. Post #317 shows a test one of the guys, Lassef, did in a 14 foot deep tank.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2128756&page=13

I went to Fry's ellectronics yesterday to see if they had any of the components listed in these LED builds. Not really much at Fry's at all. These guys are going through eBay. The links to specific parts are included throughout the thread but you do have to take notes or bookmark (I do anyway or I cann't locate it later...). Plus there's videos of how to do it, as well.

Bottom line, to answer your question about will LED go deep enough. It looks like LEDs have surpassed MH in penetrating.

Another neat thing is they are using multichips instead of individual LEDs. So they are compact and easier to build. They wattage ranges are pretty wide, too. From 10 on up to 252 watts. Kessel's new A350 doesn't put out that much.

Got pretty excited when I started reading that thread. Guess it may show here. Sorry if I hijacked your thread.

BTW - been following your thread and I sure like the way you did your rock build.

Cheers!

Your gonna like what you see! You have more room above than I had pictured, plenty of swingin' room. T

Say Bugs713. I've been checking into possibly doing a DIY LED lighting system before I have to replace the T12 vho bulbs I have. I've been checking through the DIY forum here and found this pretty incredible thread. The link is to page 13. Check out post #317. I'm only on page 15 or so of about 25 pages. This thread has two guys in Sweden experimenting with LED. Very detailed and excellent stuff. Post #317 shows a test one of the guys, Lassef, did in a 14 foot deep tank.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2128756&page=13

I went to Fry's ellectronics yesterday to see if they had any of the components listed in these LED builds. Not really much at Fry's at all. These guys are going through eBay. The links to specific parts are included throughout the thread but you do have to take notes or bookmark (I do anyway or I cann't locate it later...). Plus there's videos of how to do it, as well.

Bottom line, to answer your question about will LED go deep enough. It looks like LEDs have surpassed MH in penetrating.

Another neat thing is they are using multichips instead of individual LEDs. So they are compact and easier to build. They wattage ranges are pretty wide, too. From 10 on up to 252 watts. Kessel's new A350 doesn't put out that much.

Got pretty excited when I started reading that thread. Guess it may show here. Sorry if I hijacked your thread.

BTW - been following your thread and I sure like the way you did your rock build.

Cheers!

Thanks for the link!
I read much of that thread and others before I did my first DIY LED's on my 55g. Those multi chip sets look interesting and I will do some more research on them. My initial planning was to do a 96/3watt Cree build, but still need to do a lot more reading and figure out which way to go. Will probably do a temporary MH for now if I can find one on the cheep side.
Thanks!

Cycle is done!
Went to The Aquarius yesterday (Great little reef store with great people!) and got 2 Electric Blue Hermits and 3 Banded Trochus snails. My BC8 was also getting way over grown with Dragons Breath macro, so I dropped in a big clump.

Put the skimmer online 2 days ago - an ETSS 600 down draft that is quite different than any other skimmer I've messed with! Still getting it dialed in, which will take a few days and the micro bubbles should go away then also. This skimmer came with a Iwaki 20RLXT, but I hooked it inline to my return manifold with a gate valve and seems to be functioning great, just got to wait for it to break in. I have plenty of available flow and the Snappers produce decent head pressure which this skimmer needs. So hopefully one less pump needed!

Will get the CL online probably tomorrow. If all goes well with this CUC, next weekend will get 2 cleaner shrimp. Then will wait a few weeks for the first fish.

5dsysz.jpg

11uxd89.jpg

2zf7plv.jpg

Closed Loop up and running and adds some nice flow to the tank. I plumbed in an Iwaki 20 for now, but still planning on using the Snapper for that. Must have another bad bearing in the Dart as it started squealing last week, so I hooked up the Snapper and will order new bearings for the Dart. I am going to try the Barracuda again and see if it is too much flow. The Snapper is just a little too weak.

I got two cleaner shrimp from Reef Culture yesterday and they look so small in this tank! Livestock is now: 3 Snails, 2 Crabs and 2 shrimp. Water parameters are great with only NO3 showing a bit.
Diatoms are starting to fade also with the help of the CUC. The Dragons Breath macro I placed late week is doing really good, will leave it in the DT for now.
First fish will probably be a pair of clowns followed by 3 or 4 schooling Bannerfish AKA Poor Man's Moorish Idol; the Bannerfish are more reef safe than the Moorish Idol from what I've read. Still deciding and researching on which fish.

Lighting:
I am currently using two old 36" Coralife actinic fixtures, but have decided on doing a DIY 72 LED and a 400w MH mix. Will also make the complete system swing out for easier maintenance access to the fixtures and the top of the tank. (Thanks for the idea T Man) Will modify a flat panel TV wall mount bracket for the swing arm.

Stay tuned and thanks for following along!

ofzy10.jpg

se7la1.jpg

34snul3.jpg

2j0yyqf.jpg

Last edited:
Back