30 Cube Foam Rockwall Reef Tank

Nice pluming. I decided to just do soft plumbing for my 55. Xenia has opened up this morning and looks much better. Had to put it as my profile pick[emoji23][emoji23].
49f2ffd2500c196eb629f628d11bdeca.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The Xenia that I got was pulsing but it isn't anymore[emoji848]. I think they just have to heal themselves before they return to normal state.

My previous tank didn't have a sump. I had the hob skimmer, heater and canister filter which I left empty because it was a major pain to get to, behind the foam wall with a mp10 on the right side glass.

I too am not big on cleaning filters, but I will be running at least a filter sock just to keep the water clearer than the previous tank. Baffles I'm still on the fence about. Going to see if I need them before I buy some. I tried looking, but didn't find much..

I won't have the socks till after Christmas as Santa is hopefully bringing me some. Lol

I found this sock holder on eBay for only $10 and it's really nice solid acrylic that comes in either clear or black.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/112245252417

Xenia make a better pic than nothing! Haha
I can't recall what made my Xenia pulsate. It might be higher lighting?

I have nearly convinced myself that I'll do some type of wall for my next build. The scape is pretty clear in my mind how the back wall would integrate into the out-croppings (as it were). Anyway, I have to pay attention to how this is done! And then practice on a small scale at some point!

Sam's technique is the best I've seen. He's got a thread on it. You've got the best rockscape I've seen. Combining what you two do would make my head explode.

Hahaha

That combination would get flagged for sexual content!

Plumbing is all done and no leaks so far. Standpipe is very loud, but going back to Lowe's tomorrow to make a durso for it.
Not enough flow from the return nozzles with the tall head height and in line UV. Soo, either need ½" loc-line or a bigger pump.. decisions!

a71305e13d545a17d7abd5094152f05b.jpg

2/3 monty. What are you doing for lighting this time?

I started to make a suggestion on your plumbing, and decided I had no business. I'm not qualified! And who wants a plumbing suggestion right after they finish their plumbing? Not me!

Would your return pump be strong enough without the UV inline? If so, maybe you could just buy a smaller (cheaper) pump to feed the UV on a closed loop in the sump. A bigger return pump is an easy fix, now that you're rolling in it. It'll likely be louder, but it's in the fish room, so you're gold!

See how I did that? Those weren't suggestions. They were suggestions OF suggestions. Totally different…

Yep, that stand was a major pain in the balls this past week, but it's mine and I like it. It's also costing me extra because no one mounts their tank on top of a 4ft stand..

I just found, and bought, a new rio+ 2500 pump on eBay for only $35 so that'll help.
I currently have a Rio+ 1700 that came with the setup. It's rated for 642gph, but 180gph with a 6ft head. The new one is rated for 782gph, which isn't much more, but 375gph with a 6ft head which is more than double the current flow.
I don't need it to blast the sh*t out of everything because that's what I've got the mp10 for. Lol
One nozzle is for surface agitation and the other as a crossflow to hopefully randomize some flow with the mp10. I'd rather have too much flow and be able to reduce it with the ball valve than not have enough. So if the 2500 isn't enough, I'll get the 3100 which would be overkill. (1700,2100,2500,3100).

I considered adding another pump just for the UV, but I'm limited on plug space and the plumbing I don't want to redo. Lol
I have an eheim 1250 collecting dust I could use..

Lights will be the 16" Evergrow IT2040 (ReefBreeders knockoff) I recently bought. I'm in a pickle as to how I'm going to mount it.. hence you only getting 2/3 monti. Lol

Definitely not rolling in it. Lol With the University out for a month and a half and new flight classes requiring letter grades instead of pass/fail at the end of each semester, not much goes on during Christmas break. I've got a big lull in $$ till classes start again end of January.. it is nice being full time and getting the base pay and not having to work for it. Haha
Plus the wife left her job beginning of November in pursuit of a career change. Come January, I'll be married to a cop! I gotta work on my pig jokes! Haha
The house move is running my wallet dry too..
When work picks back up and the wife starts getting paid I'll be back to rolling in it! Back to the frivolous lifestyle of What can I stick an LED into?!

It sounds like you've got your plumbing situation figured out. You can't adapt your old light-mount setup to this one? I'm sure you'll come up with a b!tchin' setup.

I'm in a similar boat on the cash flow. My wife and I are in biz together. Typically, this time of year is the lowest income time for us, so our Christmases are rather modest. So I get creative, with DIY solutions and old, outdated equipment. I'm cool with that.

As I recall, you and I met in the DIY section on RC. I dare say we have done some pretty innovative projects!

Sam's technique is the best I've seen. He's got a thread on it. You've got the best rockscape I've seen. Combining what you two do would make my head explode.

Ha Ha! Flattery will get you everywhere. :0)

Speaking of pig jokes, here's a dandy (Dad joke alert!): What do you do when your pig gets sick? Make an appoinkment with the vet. :0) I'm here all night.

I'm sure it's not, kampo. Haha

The old track mounts were screwed into the side of the stand, which I've replaced, and can't get it back on like I had it due to the new top piece of the stand. It would be too wide for the smaller light anyways.

8cfb98b796a779bdd67ce465e76f08df.jpg

I think I'm going to do some sort of single arm up the center of the backside somehow. Nope.. scratch that. I now have bulkheads in the way. Argh!
Speaking of bulkheads - the return is actually leaking. Maybe 5 drops a day. I couldn't hand tighten it another 3/4 turn so it wasn't super tight (threaded pvc). None of my gluing has leaked though! I just finished unscrewing the bulkhead a little, then twisted the threaded portion 3/4 turn so it's tight now. So far no leaks!
Back to lighting - I've been thinking along the lines or having two bent legs coming off the ends and some sort of angle bracket for the rim. Idk..

I think I found your foam mud bank thread back in the day!

Thanks, McPuff! I'll be sure to rework that one for the Mrs :D

When I had some leaks w/ the return I used a monkey wrench to tighten it up but just don't squeeze it too hard or it will completely burst (like it did to me[emoji23][emoji23])then you will have a big problem.

Been there. Haha
I over tightened one of the threaded elbows and busted it. Luckily I didn't bust the bulkhead!

Still no leaks :D

Straightened up the mess all over the floor, which made the wife happy. Mixed 30g worth of salt in three batches so tomorrow morning I'm going to add some sand and water from the 26g to start the cyle!

Also went to Lowe's and picked up some more pvc fittings to make my durso standpipe. Very easy and straight forward. I added a little piece of eggcrate to prevent a hermit from venturing up into the drain and finished it off with painting the cap black. Just enough room!
It's unbelievable how much quieter it is. It went from loud, echoing gargling to barely a faint trickle.

4b0a6c6e2c9800af1403f9cb1dffee75.jpg

ba06250216303e5278a8e912806da35b.jpg

6b6b3e8465befb30c168b1405e26fea4.jpg

da93664f44b5e1c65e1dc8bee2df5e51.jpg

Thanks, SurfCastinRI!

If you've got the money, it's well worth it. There's nothing quite like flying!

Here's a picture I took of a Boeing 737 coming in to land doing a parallel approach next to us into Charlotte-Douglas International in NC.

6381699445c21d5946ee231762c54906.jpg

Today I added a few cups of tank water and a few handfuls of sand from the 26. I'll be out of town till next Wednesday. So not too many updates for the next week!

Nice photo. Pretty slick.

Reminds me once of a time years ago I was coming back from Thailand and I was stuck on a C130 back to Okinawa, Japan. Our chalk in the C130 took off first and I forget just how much of a head start we had...but the chalks behind us, each in either a C5 or C141 each caught, and passed us :( Few of us on the C130 just had to chuckle looking out the port hole window waving has they all passed us.

Hats off to you for doing what you do. I always think it is something amazing and wish it was something I did. I've always wanted to fly helicopters. No regrets I guess but wanted to say thanks for sharing.

Back