300 DD Build

When i first got them i let them settle for a few days then did 2 rounds of prazi and was feeding metro soaked food while doing this. Now they're on the 20th day of cupramine and im dealing with whatever this. I dosed another round of prazi last night as a last effort just so i can hopefully avoid using clout. I feed 3"x5" of nori every morning and its usually gone in 2 hours and i stuff them full with a bunch of other stuff the rest of the day haha.

Sounds like you're doing it right. Only thing I would add is TTM to ensure you don't have ich. It's easier on the fish than cupramine and I'm not sure if copper is 100% effective on eggs.

Thanks for the insight on the lights. Sounds like the marsaqua wouldn't be an upgrade for what I already have. I'll keep an eye out for another (maybe more industrial) solution. Have seen one option recently that has me curious (21ledusa).

Sounds like you're doing it right. Only thing I would add is TTM to ensure you don't have ich. It's easier on the fish than cupramine and I'm not sure if copper is 100% effective on eggs.

Thanks for the insight on the lights. Sounds like the marsaqua wouldn't be an upgrade for what I already have. I'll keep an eye out for another (maybe more industrial) solution. Have seen one option recently that has me curious (21ledusa).

Cupramines done good for me but thanks for the suggestion. I dont think Cupramine is effective on the eggs and i dont think any medication really is for that matter. You need to wait till the parasites come out of their cyst form and the copper nukes them. Im about to dose clout tmrw morning and hopefully that helps the hippo out with whatevers going on. Whatever it is, its not ich

The lights arent too bad but yea i doubt they would be much of an upgrade for you.

I believe you already answered this on page one but did you do a power failure test and see how much water returns back to the sump? I thought I ready you did plan to run it that high. I accidently had mine running hot, err, high and during my check ended up with water all over the place. Glad it was in the garage :)

Nice build so far - good luck with the 300DD. That was the tank I was more or less getting but ended up going smaller with a 240 but similar height and depth. So many options with aquascape. Thanks for sharing!

I believe you already answered this on page one but did you do a power failure test and see how much water returns back to the sump? I thought I ready you did plan to run it that high. I accidently had mine running hot, err, high and during my check ended up with water all over the place. Glad it was in the garage :)

Nice build so far - good luck with the 300DD. That was the tank I was more or less getting but ended up going smaller with a 240 but similar height and depth. So many options with aquascape. Thanks for sharing!

My return pump has actually come disconnected from the plumbing a few times because the ratchet clamp i use doesnt work very well. The sump easily held the water..... but the skimmer overflows once the water rises which is what got me a couple weeks back. Filled up my skimmate bucket and overflowed 5 gallons all over the place. Now i have the bucket sitting in a tupperware just in case it happens again.

Im loving the dimensions of the 300dd !

What PH's are you using for flow? and what type of tank are you setting up for? SPS, LPS, mixed? Do you happen to know the Par under lights at the bottom of tank? Just curious cuz I'm in the middle of setting up a 210 gal now.

What PH's are you using for flow? and what type of tank are you setting up for? SPS, LPS, mixed? Do you happen to know the Par under lights at the bottom of tank? Just curious cuz I'm in the middle of setting up a 210 gal now.

I just have two koralia 1500s but im either getting 2 mp40s or rw15s soon. Its going to be mostly sps.
Sorry i have no idea what par the lights are puttting out.

I just have two koralia 1500s but im either getting 2 mp40s or rw15s soon. Its going to be mostly sps.
Sorry i have no idea what par the lights are puttting out.

If you go with jebao, then get the PP20. The 15s won't be strong enough. 2 MP40s also won't be strong enough. You'd need MP60s. On mine, I've got 2 of the PP20s and added two Tunze 6105s. The korallias are pretty worthless on larger tanks. I also know this from experience. :0)

For your skimmer, why not just remove the drain line and empty the container manually? This eliminates the potential for overflowing your collection bin. For me, it's not a big deal to do this manually (I actually plugged the drain on mine) and allows me to assess the performance of the skimmer on a daily basis. And you can tell more about the system itself based on the funk in the skimmate.

If you go with jebao, then get the PP20. The 15s won't be strong enough. 2 MP40s also won't be strong enough. You'd need MP60s. On mine, I've got 2 of the PP20s and added two Tunze 6105s. The korallias are pretty worthless on larger tanks. I also know this from experience. :0)

For your skimmer, why not just remove the drain line and empty the container manually? This eliminates the potential for overflowing your collection bin. For me, it's not a big deal to do this manually (I actually plugged the drain on mine) and allows me to assess the performance of the skimmer on a daily basis. And you can tell more about the system itself based on the funk in the skimmate.

I was looking around this morning and saw the pp20s and ordered 1 to test it out. I got a tunze ato too. Yea the koralias arent doing much so im looking forward to this new pump.

The skimmer came with a foot long tube with a plug at the end. I took the plug out and lost it haha. Ive been meaning to find something to plug it off with but been lazy. Any suggestions? Id like to plug the actual cup not the tube. I might just put a bunch of superglue in the hole :lolspin:

This morning I ordered a midas blenny and a trio of ochrestriped cardinalfish off divers den. Got a few acros and montis too. I had my eye on a pink plate coral but was waiting on that check that wouldnt clear. Cleared today and of course the plate just got sold. They still had it last night. It should all be here tomrw.

I was looking around this morning and saw the pp20s and ordered 1 to test it out. I got a tunze ato too. Yea the koralias arent doing much so im looking forward to this new pump.

The skimmer came with a foot long tube with a plug at the end. I took the plug out and lost it haha. Ive been meaning to find something to plug it off with but been lazy. Any suggestions? Id like to plug the actual cup not the tube. I might just put a bunch of superglue in the hole :lolspin:

This morning I ordered a midas blenny and a trio of ochrestriped cardinalfish off divers den. Got a few acros and montis too. I had my eye on a pink plate coral but was waiting on that check that wouldnt clear. Cleared today and of course the plate just got sold. They still had it last night. It should all be here tomrw.

Maybe try some reef safe epoxy?

Maybe try some reef safe epoxy?

Good idea ill probably do that.

My package from live aquaria is supposed to be here in Delaware at my doorstep by 1030. I check my tracking and it says its still in Louisville, ky due to a mechanical error. I kid you not,everytime i get an overnight package shipped with ups, there is some sort of delay. Says its scheduled for tomorrow...

Just get a rubber stopper from the hardware store to plug the hole in your skimmer collection cup. That's all I have done. That way, if you ever sell it someone else can make the decision to use it or not.

As for the night mode, it can be disabled by simply not using the light sensor. I would suggest controlling them via apex if you've got one. It just requires you to purchase a harness that would allow for control of 2 pumps. Then you can set it to a night mode yourself. You'll also gain greater control of the pumps themselves. The jebao stock controller only goes from about 40-85%. With apex you can get close to 25% min (don't go lower) and 100% max power. I would honestly suggest you to check out the Selling forum for used Tunze 6105 controllable pumps. Can usually get a pair for $200 - $300. These are MUCH more reliable and will probably last a lot longer too. And if you can get them used, the price difference isn't much compared to new PP20.

Just get a rubber stopper from the hardware store to plug the hole in your skimmer collection cup. That's all I have done. That way, if you ever sell it someone else can make the decision to use it or not.

As for the night mode, it can be disabled by simply not using the light sensor. I would suggest controlling them via apex if you've got one. It just requires you to purchase a harness that would allow for control of 2 pumps. Then you can set it to a night mode yourself. You'll also gain greater control of the pumps themselves. The jebao stock controller only goes from about 40-85%. With apex you can get close to 25% min (don't go lower) and 100% max power. I would honestly suggest you to check out the Selling forum for used Tunze 6105 controllable pumps. Can usually get a pair for $200 - $300. These are MUCH more reliable and will probably last a lot longer too. And if you can get them used, the price difference isn't much compared to new PP20.

Plugs a good idea but i dont know where id get one to fit that tiny hole. Ill check around online or at home depot.

I already ordered one pp20 so im stuck with it haha. Ill look into the tunze, but i figure the pp20s are so cheap that if they break, i could go through 3-4 of them and still spend less than i would for one tunze(unless i bought used like you were saying). I dont have an apex but i want to get one at some point. Just a little too expensive for me right now.

My Divers Den order ended up getting delivered today while the stuff I ordered from Live Aquaria (cleaner shrimp, midas blenny, and a bunch of snails/hermits) is STILL sitting at a Ups warehouse in Kentucky.

Sorry for the blurry pics, my camera was acting up so I had to use my phone.

Blue Bottlebrush Acro
38737796555_1738efa81e_c.jpg
[/url]20180111_120013 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Forest Green Acro
27856317229_43b90cf14f_c.jpg
[/url]20180111_115204 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Pink Polyp Montipora
25762902328_363c00cc39_c.jpg
[/url]20180111_115216 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Pink with green polyps
38925860254_d7f26534ae_c.jpg
[/url]20180111_115918 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

The trio of Ochre Striped Cardinals. They are A LOT bigger than i was expecting.
38925854104_7e36712363_c.jpg
[/url]20180111_115327 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

I added the PP20 today and put the koralia 1500 on the back wall. The pump was noisy at first but quited down after a half hour. Tanks flow went from roughly 4200 gph to roughly 10000 gph. My lps certainly dont like all the flow but this is going to be an sps tank afterall haha. Gotta find a new place to put my plate coral because the thing was getting blown away.

24806219037_9a1475ab20_c.jpg
[/url]20180113_190522 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Today's new additions

Ora Purple Plasma
39719394782_1e59b84308_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_6232 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Blue Polyp Montipora
25879583538_3b046b623b_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_6235 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Ponape Birdsnest
38852728935_e7e987bcb6_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_6236 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Installed a fan in the canopy. I believe the brand is "Zhayne".
39751180011_6b7cb52269_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_6241 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

39042092914_3dab316fcb_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_6242 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Might need to make this exhaust hole a bit bigger
39751179771_9eae5f3834_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_6243 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Finally got an Ato installed. Got the Tunze Osmolator.
39719350162_de2e1ef697_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_6244 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

So i just went to dose some mag because the water is a bit low(1215 ppm). I calculated what i would need to dose to get to 1300 and it looks like id need 258 tsp. Lol. Is there a more potent magnesium powder I could get? Right now im using seachem Reef advantage and i would need to use 5 whole bottles to reach 1300

Back