300 DD Build

So i just went to dose some mag because the water is a bit low(1215 ppm). I calculated what i would need to dose to get to 1300 and it looks like id need 258 tsp. Lol. Is there a more potent magnesium powder I could get? Right now im using seachem Reef advantage and i would need to use 5 whole bottles to reach 1300

Probably... but honestly it's not good to raise the Mg too quickly anyway, just like with most of the other parameters. I recommend just buying the two-part from BRS. It will probably take about 2 gallons of solution dosed over a couple weeks to get you up to 1450 or so (personally I recommend having it above 1400). I just went through this very same thing! The change in the display was quite noticeable. Everything looks a lot better, the rock is cleaner, and the corals are a bit more colorful. It also allows the Ca levels in the tank to maintain at a higher level.

Agreed on the ATO... once I added mine it was a whole different ballgame. And the skimmer was more efficient as well.

Probably... but honestly it's not good to raise the Mg too quickly anyway, just like with most of the other parameters. I recommend just buying the two-part from BRS. It will probably take about 2 gallons of solution dosed over a couple weeks to get you up to 1450 or so (personally I recommend having it above 1400). I just went through this very same thing! The change in the display was quite noticeable. Everything looks a lot better, the rock is cleaner, and the corals are a bit more colorful. It also allows the Ca levels in the tank to maintain at a higher level.

Agreed on the ATO... once I added mine it was a whole different ballgame. And the skimmer was more efficient as well.

I was planning on doing it over the next week or so, but either way im gonna have to go out and get probably 10 bottles of this stuff just to get the tank near 1400. I guess its what ill have to do, plus mag is pretty stable once you get it where you want. I use reef crystals, youd think the mag level would be a little higher.

Added the tangs today. They're loving life in the big tank and are healthy as can be. Dimilin seemed to do the job on the Hippo tang.

39111590994_cccf929284_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_6271 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

25948539328_c914c50cbe_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_6266 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

39111593834_be068afd88_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_6269 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

25948537708_374a8a6a0b_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_6270 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

25948544108_a0df6a767c_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_6254 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Picked up this Ora "Verde"
28042991999_f92ce3b52d_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_6272 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

I was going to ask about this fish... thought that's what it was. Looks like a nice tang assemblage.

I might try and sneak in a Purple tang. Only thing id be worried about is aggression from the YT, but the fish are used to being in a 40 gallon qt so maybe theyll be willing to allow another tang member in the main tank. Lol. I may get a Sailfin too that way i have 3 Zebrasoma, which seems like what needs to be done in most cases to spread out aggression.

So the Hippo is a no show today and I just noticed the Powder blue scratching on a rock. Looks like im about to be in a world of sh*t with this tank. Of course after 2 months of non stop treatments with different medications.

Nevermind just found the hippo in the overflow! I checked earlier but clearly not good enough. Hopefully the Powder just had something on him irritating him.

I put a small purple in my tank with a yellow that had been in there for a few years. I’ve always had at least 5 tangs in my bigger tanks but the only one that ever made a stink was the Sohal. My purple and yellow hangout all the time and I love it

I put a small purple in my tank with a yellow that had been in there for a few years. I've always had at least 5 tangs in my bigger tanks but the only one that ever made a stink was the Sohal. My purple and yellow hangout all the time and I love it

Thats great to hear! I was originally going to get the Purple at the same time as the rest, but they were out of stock.
The hippo still looks great and none of the tangs have scratched since i saw the Pb the one time yesterday. So im pretty sure he just had something irritating him and the missing hippo made me over react :rollface:
Thats what im hoping atleast..

Ive got some more coral coming at the end of this week so ill be sure to post some updates.

Thats great to hear! I was originally going to get the Purple at the same time as the rest, but they were out of stock.
The hippo still looks great and none of the tangs have scratched since i saw the Pb the one time yesterday. So im pretty sure he just had something irritating him and the missing hippo made me over react :rollface:
Thats what im hoping atleast..

Ive got some more coral coming at the end of this week so ill be sure to post some updates.

Just keep an eye out for more scratching. If it's flukes, at least you can dose prazipro in the display.

Just keep an eye out for more scratching. If it's flukes, at least you can dose prazipro in the display.

Ive treated them with prazi at double the dose twice and treated with plenty of other medication while in qt.. If they have anything im going to have to catch them all and most likely treat with another medication(Ive treated with Dimilin, Cupramine , prazi, clout, and a few antibacterials) while the tank sits fallow. Given that I treated with all those, I dont see how they could still have parasites,but then again I always have bad luck haha

Ive treated them with prazi at double the dose twice and treated with plenty of other medication while in qt.. If they have anything im going to have to catch them all and most likely treat with another medication(Ive treated with Dimilin, Cupramine , prazi, clout, and a few antibacterials) while the tank sits fallow. Given that I treated with all those, I dont see how they could still have parasites,but then again I always have bad luck haha

This was my understanding as well. Sometimes the fish just rub a time or two. We are generally hyper-sensitive to these movements because we've all been burned in the past. It is probably just one of those moments. :0)

This was my understanding as well. Sometimes the fish just rub a time or two. We are generally hyper-sensitive to these movements because we've all been burned in the past. It is probably just one of those moments. :0)

That's what i'm hoping for. Its good to be a bit paranoid when you have a bunch of money invested in something.

Here's a pic I just snapped of them before lights out. I had to use flash because the camera doesn't really pick anything up under actinic lighting.

28120255729_4bbf2bfde4_c.jpg
[/url]20180125_195426 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

Skimmer putting in work

28120256689_8d22eb5b96_c.jpg
[/url]20180125_195452 by ldubz123, on Flickr[/IMG]

If you go with jebao, then get the PP20. The 15s won't be strong enough. 2 MP40s also won't be strong enough. You'd need MP60s. On mine, I've got 2 of the PP20s and added two Tunze 6105s. The korallias are pretty worthless on larger tanks. I also know this from experience. :0)

For your skimmer, why not just remove the drain line and empty the container manually? This eliminates the potential for overflowing your collection bin. For me, it's not a big deal to do this manually (I actually plugged the drain on mine) and allows me to assess the performance of the skimmer on a daily basis. And you can tell more about the system itself based on the funk in the skimmate.

I have a 215 gal tank (72" long x 24" (front to back) x 28" top to bottom) and have 2 x PP20's on the side walls pointing towards each other and 2 x Tunze 6105's on seasweeps on the back wall next to the towers. I do have the PP20's dialed back a little but the Tunzes are full throttle.

I have a 215 gal tank (72" long x 24" (front to back) x 28" top to bottom) and have 2 x PP20's on the side walls pointing towards each other and 2 x Tunze 6105's on seasweeps on the back wall next to the towers. I do have the PP20's dialed back a little but the Tunzes are full throttle.

Did you do the mods yourself or buy the actual pumps that go on the sea sweeps? I do like that functionality. You must get some terrific and random flow.

Sounds like you've got a good amount of flow. My uncle has an old powerhead that oscillates that i may try and get from him(cant remember the brand). I've been running the PP20 on Else mode. I was wondering, when in else mode, does the speed button do anything? I've had it on the lowest setting but I don't know if that even matters in this mode(id assume it doesn't but itd be good to know for sure).

On another note, I was planning on getting some more live stock this week but ended up ordering everything yesterday so it'll be here on Tuesday. I've got a bunch of stuff coming including the Purple and Desjardini. :lmao:

Back