!! 300 gallon water change onto basement floor

jeremyjoslin

Catastrophe has struck. Screw closed loop circuits and their ilk.

It happened like this...

My hammerhead pump in the basement driving my closed loop circuit blew a seal last week. I turned the pump off and locked off the ball valves on either side of the pump. The seals arrived in the mail today, so I disconnected the union ball valve x 2 and removed the pump. Worked on the pump for a bit and realized unscrewing the impeller was a two person job so I left it until tomorrow.

Walked up the stairs and heard a loud pop and a waterfall. Rushed downstairs and water was pouring like a fire house from here:

Later I would find these pieces that blew out of the valve from the pressure:

Looking up into it:

Luckily I have a large drain from my basement out of the bottom of it out to our yard (our house is on a hill). Still, 4 inches of water is a lot when it's your entire basement:

The entire tank drained in a matter of 2-3 minutes. I was thinking it only drained half of my tank as I thought the pipe fitting that broke was on the intake side which was located half way up my tank (in my disaster planning stages, I was somewhat comforted by the thought of failure on this circuit as only draining half the tank).

But in the heat of the moment (I dove into the gushing water trying to hold it back with my palm completely helplessly and insignificantly), I was mistaken. It was the side that returned water to the tank bottom and so it drained the entire tank minus 3 inches. I didn't know until I came upstairs.

All 15 or so fish and my few corals!!!!

I dove into action grabbing fish with my hands and carrying them down to my sump (70g plus inline 40g refugium). At least I have a temporary holding cell for them!

Could you imaging going from a normal life to a 300g tank being emptied with all its livestock in it???????

I've grabbed what I could and now have an empty tank in my living room

Tomorrow is dump day for all the sand, LR, PVC, and destroyed items in my basement. This tank needs to go... sledgehammer anyone?

By the way, here's a link to my once pride-inspiring build thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2211695

This tank is for sale as of right now. I'll start a clean thread with the sale.

Why not plug the closed loop and keep using it. I don't use it on my *******. I just sealed it

I concur.

You can silicone glass patches over the holes in the bottom of the aquarium. They will be just as strong, especially with the pressure of the water pressing down on the patches.

Really sorry. It hadn't even occurred to me that a ball valve could fail like that. I agree with the others that you could close off the loop.

Wow that is every every aquarist's nightmare. I spill anything more than a few drops on my floor and I go into rush mode to clean it up...300g of water and I'd likely just go jump off my roof. Keep your head up and don't make a rash decision. The plus side is that the failure didn't cost you a new living room floor and you did manage to save the majority of your livestock. Those are notable bright sides. I'd consider what everyone else is suggesting by either plugging up my closed loop and going with the traditional powerheads or upgrading your plumbing to Schedule80 on any of your lines that see that much pressure.

How long have those valves been in operation?

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear, but on the good side at least it was all drained onto concrete vs the livingroom floor. When you get it all cleaned out, can you post some pics of your drains and return holes. And what about check vaulves on the from th sump return lines? Then some sort of over flows for the drains?

Why not plug the closed loop and keep using it. I don't use it on my *******. I just sealed it

That sounds kinda dirty the way the word was redacted....

I haven't found many accounts of this route holding up long-term. Curious as to your experience.

I concur.

You can silicone glass patches over the holes in the bottom of the aquarium. They will be just as strong, especially with the pressure of the water pressing down on the patches.

That's what I hear (and don't get me wrong, I STRONGLY considered doing this in the beginning), but does it really hold up well for 300g tanks? I've seen no evidence.

Replace the hammerhead pump with another brand- seal the closed loop bulkheads - rock on

Actually my ire with the tank started from day 1 because the floor bulkheads are crappy 1/2 inchers and after filling and draining about 6 times when setting it up, I still had one that leaked just enough to notice. Sealing a bulkhead off is not an option. Patching the glass might be.

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear, but on the good side at least it was all drained onto concrete vs the livingroom floor. When you get it all cleaned out, can you post some pics of your drains and return holes. And what about check vaulves on the from th sump return lines? Then some sort of over flows for the drains?

All holes and plumbing is documented in my build thread. I think you might be thinking that something different happened than what actually did.

It was the closed loop circuit that failed at the low point... returns and drains all work fine and are plumbed according to industry standard.

Man, this sucks! I know you're frustrated, but don't give up. I had a 120 crack on the bottom and dump many gallons onto my dining room floor. I was ready to sell it all and never look back. That's great that you save so many of the fish.
I would definitely silicone thick glass pieces over the closed loop holes. How deep is the tank and what diameter holes do you need to cover? 1/4" glass is probably fine, but if you went with 3/8". It's all about the pressure which is proportional to the depth below water surface. This will definitely work long term, trust me, I'm an engineer ;)

1" is definitely no problem for a glass patch. I'd probably use 3/8" just so if something like LR sits on them they will be more durable. Finding 3/8 glass might be a little tough - probably have to go to a glass shop to get squares cut. Should be cheap though.

I'm being persuaded...

I've been wanting to go bare bottom, too. If I put in the 6 patches, the bottom will look bad. Guess I could put in a piece of "cutting board" plastic on the bottom? Any other way to make it look un-ugly?

Back