300 Sump - Possible Refugium - thoughts and ideas

Gambit - that's a pretty neat set-up.

Anbosu: yea - it has to be in the stand. the tank is in the living room and has to look clean. I dont want to set it up in the garage as I'll be short on space after I put in my water mixing station. it'll be completely separate from the sump though - if I need to take it down or eliminate it - it should be pretty easy.

I dont think I have a space issue really. my stand height is 38" from the frame to the plywood. the sump is only 16" high - so height wise I think I have plenty to work with.

The width is fine too. I have 26" to work with. Length should be fine too at 24"

Do you have that sump running yet Tom? There's the second question I have about that design - your dealing with water coming out of that first overflow chamber horizontally and there's the question whether you have enough downward force to hold the filter socks securely down. Are you letting any water through that isn't running through your socks?

The provided pic was from about a year ago when the sump was new. ATM the sump is part of a different build and not currently running. However when running there was no issue with bi-pass around the sock. Additionally, there is a few inches between the rim of the sock and the level of the water in the sump. So it would be almost impossible for the sock to float. But even if the water level was higher socks are not that buoyant and even a low flow through the sock would keep it in place.

Dual system

Dual system

Ted,

Not sure if you have explored this but I did and was considering it when Mike was building my stand. I will ask him if he has the cad drawings. We came up with a split design that had a 80gallon deep blue tank 48long x 24wide x18h and a 56 gallon 30long x 18wide x 24 high. 56 gallon would have 2 1.5" bulk heads at the top draining in to section where my return pumps or located in the 80 gallon. I like this idea as I can cut off fuge if I need to up keep.

Gambit - that's a pretty neat set-up.

Anbosu: yea - it has to be in the stand. the tank is in the living room and has to look clean. I dont want to set it up in the garage as I'll be short on space after I put in my water mixing station. it'll be completely separate from the sump though - if I need to take it down or eliminate it - it should be pretty easy.

I dont think I have a space issue really. my stand height is 38" from the frame to the plywood. the sump is only 16" high - so height wise I think I have plenty to work with.

The width is fine too. I have 26" to work with. Length should be fine too at 24"

Socks

Socks

I wish all filter sock holders were removable. That's valuable real estate if you ever want to add a roller.
I had to cut me eshops all up to get my clarisea filter to fit.
Trigger is selling a fudge with a roller integrated. That's great if you need to buy both.......just sayin

Back