300g tank build

Went to Las Vegas a few weeks back. Met some amazing reefers out there. Came home with a dozen sticks, only half survived the journey.

IMG_1741.jpg

Last change. Tank pH running about 7.9.
I added a line to draw air from the outside into my protein skimmer. There is an intake vent for my fireplace that I was able to snake a 1/4 air tubing into and run it in my protein skimmer air intake.
After about 2 days it is 8.0-8.1

Attachments

• IMG_1790.jpeg
    IMG_1790.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
In January I lost two of my anthias.

The first tried to be nemo and jumped out of the tank.

The second from injury. I added a algae clip to my tank and the next day noticed two anthias with eye injuries. I took out the clip and watched and waited to see if they would heal. It was a slow process.

During the healing process, I wasn't convinced it was the clip, and decided to try and add it back. The next day one of the previously injured anthias now had his good eye injured. He appeared blind and cowered in a corner and died, there was little I could do to save him.

The second injured anthias is healed with one good eye. He has been affectionately named pirate.

IMG_2867.jpeg

In Iebruary I was able to add about 60lbs of live rock to the tank to fill it in more completely.

I added a blue tang and a regal angelfish from biota. If you buy the biota blue tang beware the blemish can be rather large and looks like HLLE.
IMG_2869.jpeg

A few lessons on the way

1- gave some calerpa to a fellow reefer. He brought over a cut of his monti, super nice of him. I also got aiptasia from it. Which has been annoying to deal with. I have three peppermint shrimp now in my display, 6 atipsia eating nudibranch in the sump, and using aiptasia X to spot kill ones I see.

Should have dipped that monti.

2- When I put my blue tang in my tank he immediately developed white spots. Looked like ich, which I felt was highly unusual as he was a captive bred biota tang. He went into quarantine and did TTM and watched him. Looked great and went back into the display and immediately the spots reappeared. The spots lasted two days and disappeared. I am convinced these spots are not ich and perhaps ther are things we attribute to ich that are not ich at all.

3- chemiclean works really well on cyano.

Next project

I am going to try this thing

A few lessons on the way

1- gave some calerpa to a fellow reefer. He brought over a cut of his monti, super nice of him. I also got aiptasia from it. Which has been annoying to deal with. I have three peppermint shrimp now in my display, 6 atipsia eating nudibranch in the sump, and using aiptasia X to spot kill ones I see.

Should have dipped that monti.

2- When I put my blue tang in my tank he immediately developed white spots. Looked like ich, which I felt was highly unusual as he was a captive bred biota tang. He went into quarantine and did TTM and watched him. Looked great and went back into the display and immediately the spots reappeared. The spots lasted two days and disappeared. I am convinced these spots are not ich and perhaps ther are things we attribute to ich that are not ich at all.

3- chemiclean works really well on cyano.
To ease your conscience, dipping doesn't control aiptasia.

Back