300g tank build

Sump is nearly finished off

IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1556.jpg

Sump features
1- Returns into a 7 gallon bucket full of marine pure ceramic media.
2- From here it overflows out of the bucket into chaeto and hair algae. These are growing under red and regular day light lights. I have found the most success keeping algae out of my DT if I grow it in my sump. Growing nuisance algae in a controlled area is the best way to eliminate it from your DT. Growing nuisance algae depletes whatever nutrients it needs to grow.
3- There is a pump that feeds the UV lights and my georeef calcium reactor. I really enjoy having a calcium reactor, it is a plug it and forget it. Well you do have to titrate it a bit as your corals get bigger.
4- In the other side of my sump lives the protein skimmer (undersized), I have a larger one on its way, and 2 heaters.
5- The output of the UV lights goes into a second 7 gallon bucket that returns the water back into the DT via an Iwaki pump. Which I am also replacing. Too LOUD!
6. My ATO is a 55 gallon rubbermaid trash can. It received water from a spectrapure RO/DI filter. The ATO is connected to the tank with a float valve, and as the tank needs water it delivers. The ATO has two float valves. When both are down the spectra pure delivers water, and it doesn't stop until both are up. Thus delivering about 30 gallons at a time and decreasing TDS creep. This system is very fail proof except the float valve in the sump, if that fails.....Need to figure something out there.

The fish from the other reefer are still going strong. Living in my 5 gallon TTM buckets with heater and air stone. One more week or so before I will move them to a QT tank for obs.

I received my protein skimmer last week.
IMG_1566.jpg

Unfortunately the base was all busted up in the shipping.
IMG_1570.jpg

Had to take it to a local acrylic shop and have the skilled guy there do some work to repair it. Hopefully it will hold up
IMG_1581.jpg
IMG_1580.jpg

Box 2 was delayed in transit. These fish spent four days in a box. I was pretty amazed at how well they looked when they arrived. Speaks to the hardiness of resilience of captive bred fish.

That’s awesome! I saw a pair that were fairly tiny so it’s good to hear they’re doing well!

Back