40 Gallon Planted Seahorse Aquarium

Doing all the live plants have you noticed a difference in nitrates? Just curious as I'm thinking of including some in my setup

Doing all the live plants have you noticed a difference in nitrates? Just curious as I'm thinking of including some in my setup

Absolutely. I have changed my approach to filtration as well. With the amount of algae I have between my tanks n refugiums, I have difficulty maintaining levels of nitrate for my plants. I have run into situations where I don't have enough nitrates to maintain growth of my plants.... So I have decided to go filterless.. I now run my tank off of sand, liverock, power heads, macro algae, and my refugium which does pass through carbon before returning to tank. I'm sure some may think this is crazy, but its working!!!

I love it and so will your seahorses. I bet your rock work is also partly responsible for lower nitrates. A year ago I was very surprised to learn that denitrifying bacterias can live inside rock as well as DSBs. It makes sense, especially in dense rock. With so many aquarists moving toward a minimalist scape, they are giving up that benefit, but then I guess that is what reactors are for!

I love it and so will your seahorses. I bet your rock work is also partly responsible for lower nitrates. A year ago I was very surprised to learn that denitrifying bacterias can live inside rock as well as DSBs. It makes sense, especially in dense rock. With so many aquarists moving toward a minimalist scape, they are giving up that benefit, but then I guess that is what reactors are for!

Yeah... and I stuffed this tank with rock.. There has got to be over 200lbs in it or damn near close to 200 lbs.. Still leaves more than enough swimming room for the ponies

Looking good! I love your Blue Hypnea; it looks much better than what I see on Diver's Den, occasionally.

At what temperature you keep this set up at, I heard that sea horses need to be kept at 72 deg water temp

Very nice tank. What is your current clean up crew?

My original seahorse tank was heavily stocked with macro algae, but my emerald crabs just ate everything they could get their little pinchers on, and of course, leaving the bubble algae remaining in the tank untouched.

Such amazing success with no mechanical filtration. Nice job.

I will try to get one posted. Honestly I've had a minor hair algae outbreak in a few spots. So dang tough to combat algae in an algae tank :)

Overall the tank is looking great, but a few eye sores if you look real closely.

I will try to get one posted. Honestly I've had a minor hair algae outbreak in a few spots. So dang tough to combat algae in an algae tank :)

Overall the tank is looking great, but a few eye sores if you look real closely.

The tank looks great Carmen! Very nice, I am sure your seahorses love it. I am fighting some cyano myself in my pony tank.

Back