40 Gallon Planted Seahorse Aquarium

Coralline Cluster (Clowns trying to get the attention)

Attachments

• corallinesmall.jpg
    corallinesmall.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 2
This is amazing! I really want to build a seahorse tank, but it may be a while before I get around to it. I really need to get better lighting for my main tank before I branch off into seahorses and all that that entails. What kind of lighting are you using on this tank?

I have 2x Fluval LEDS... The first one is the marine&reef LED and the other is their LED that is designed for freshwater planted aquariums.. The combination of the two seems to do very well.. The marine & reef seems to promote the colors as the planted lights provides the growth rate..

I need to provide updated pictures.. Tank is looking so much more full as everything is growing out and ive added several new macro species.. Over 35 total macro varieties!

What spectrum lightinging are you running on this tank. I got Blue Hypnea but it doesn't look line what you pisted. Are you using a cell phone with no filter for the pictures?

This is a cool shot that shows the top right section of my tank. The closer shot allows your to see the true color and variety of macro in my display

Attachments

• novembertopright.jpg
    novembertopright.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1
I always wanted a tank like this....

I always wanted a tank like this....

Hi, Finz:

Are u using a skimmer in your refugium? Is the fuge reverse lit from the main tank? How long do you keep the lights on each 24 cycle? Can't wait to see what your tank looks like with things grown out a little more! awesome!:wave:

No skimmer. And yes the HOB fuge is on a reverse light schedule for the most part, although there is some overlap. The displays lighting is on for 12 hours and the fuge light is run 14 hours (+1 hour on each end)

I do not dose with calcium. The levels in my salt are high enough and I do not have enough things drawing out the calcium... So water changes serve the function of adding my calcium

Aside from that I do supplement with Alk, Magnesium, and Iodine. Then I add the occasional Phyto & ZooPlex for the filter feeders.. That's about it.

Bad News: I have slowly stripped this tank clean of macro algae.. The only macro left in this tank are a select few that have adhered to the live rock over time... This tank no longer has any seahorses....

Good News: All macro and seahorses have finally been added into their upgraded 75gallon aquarium that offers them a lot more space... As well as provide me with a lot more rock space to introduce and cultivate more macro algae! I have not added any of the fish from the 40 gallon into the new tank to create a more traditional seahorse tank.. The fish will be remaining in the 40 while I throw around the idea of converting it back into a reef tank.

I hope to have pictures of the new tank posted very soon!! Below is a just a photo of the tank I upgraded the seahorses to prior to setting it up. (Disregard the equipment that is in the aquarium... None of those aqueon products are being used on this tank :)

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 0
Very cool, Carmen. That will be an awesome seahorse display tank and I look forward to seeing it!

Here ya go!

Still waiting for it to clear up 100%, but looking great so far

Let me know what you think

Attachments

• upgradedtank.jpg
    upgradedtank.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
Back