40gallon build with no live rock.

You could go to ATR and buy a couple of scoops of LR tank sludge (on the far end in the middle holding tank), put your rocks in a bucket with powerhead and pour in the sludge to seed the rocks. I think you will need to add something, fish and corals alone will not get you the diversity, IMO.

In the past, I have ordered some "GARF Grunge" and mixed it into the DSB of the 75 I had in Cali. Within a month, there was so much life in and around the DSB and LR I could not believe it. GARF obtains this stuff from the bottoms of many LR storage tanks, I have been told even Walt Smith sends it to them. It's pretty fortified with life.

On that subject of adding liverock. I want to have a tank that has a little affect to oceans as possible. So hopefully it will be cycling by the next meeting, and i was thinking that maybe i could buy a pound of dirty live sand from as few people that go to the febuary meeting.:D I think that will be just as good or better.

Hey, I got a idea. I can give you a cup of skimmate and you'll get your ammonia spike along with the bacteria. :D

On a serious note. You can go to AZ Sea bottoms and scrape out some of the bottoms of the rock bins. Get lots of critters that way. Might even just give it to you.

I'll give you some sand but my tank is only 2 months old. My rocks move at night with all the pods though.

here's the stand so for. It would be done it my car would stop breaking.
P1230011.jpg

Still needs a front and a door which i started on the top there. might put stained glass in the door. not sure yet. my buddy did that to his canopy and it looked awesome.

I worked with a guy ay a little LFS in Michigan that drained the lizard when he cycled his tank. Has any one else intentionlly relieved themselves in their own tanks for cycleing reasons?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14227118#post14227118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Frick
I worked with a guy ay a little LFS in Michigan that drained the lizard when he cycled his tank. Has any one else intentionlly relieved themselves in their own tanks for cycleing reasons?

I'm not sure that would work? Due to the ammonia source not being consistent, and maybe not enough to measure on a test in a large tank, I would think it might be broken down too quickly. It would be hard to tell if you had an actual cycle.

I have always forced a cycle on the tank with a piece of raw jumbo shrimp attached to some LR rubble.

Homemade rock

Homemade rock

It will be really interesting to see what it looks like with coraline (sp) growth and some corals. Probably will look much more realistic then. But I know we all have to work on a budget these days. I've been adding live rock as I go to a 30gallon-cause I did not want to do a big investment all at one time.

I'm going to use some live rock sludge and the dead cheak from a local fish store. Then next meeting (if my car doesn't die the night befor) I'll buy a little live sand from anybody who is willing for a few bucks. Does anyone think the carbs from vodka would help?

Back