470 Gallon Mixed Reef - nuxx Reef

So your acclimation box is just egg crate? That also seems like a really good idea. And more flow through than a plastic container with holes drilled.

So your acclimation box is just egg crate? That also seems like a really good idea. And more flow through than a plastic container with holes drilled.

I also have one that is made out of plastic, but it's too small.

The Gem is looking like he'll be in there for around 3-4 months, so I wanted good space for him.

I'm not more than likely going to get a Zebra Tang and will need to extend the fish in current QT as well as the Gem in acclimation until the Zebra is out of QT. No way a new Zebra could go in with all the old tangs and the new batch...

Any tips on how to make it out of egg crate?

egg crate and zip ties are your friend! just be careful with cut edges of crate and zip ties as they can cause quite a bit of harm to a fish.

Yeah basically just this. I also made a little trap door on the top with zip tie hinges and used a re-usable zip tie as the "lock" to put nori in each day.

Also I had the box zip tied to the bracing, problem was two wrasses jumped on top and died. Now moved it down about 6 inches into the water with two large PVC spacers. No more issue, the Crosshatches and Bandit even swim on top during meal time haha

The fish seem pretty smart about not scratching themselves. LR and coral can be pretty sharp as well :)

thanks for the update peter. any photos or video of the fish in qt coming up?

No... they are all skittish for the most part and the QTs are pretty dark. Sorry, it's hard for me to get a great look of them as well :(

Just enough to see they don't have any health issues.

No problem, I'll try to update more often :)

Gem Tang's colors look great in his little prison :)

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/185857424" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

I also have one that is made out of plastic, but it's too small.

The Gem is looking like he'll be in there for around 3-4 months, so I wanted good space for him.

I'm not more than likely going to get a Zebra Tang and will need to extend the fish in current QT as well as the Gem in acclimation until the Zebra is out of QT. No way a new Zebra could go in with all the old tangs and the new batch...

Yeah basically just this. I also made a little trap door on the top with zip tie hinges and used a re-usable zip tie as the "lock" to put nori in each day.

Also I had the box zip tied to the bracing, problem was two wrasses jumped on top and died. Now moved it down about 6 inches into the water with two large PVC spacers. No more issue, the Crosshatches and Bandit even swim on top during meal time haha

The fish seem pretty smart about not scratching themselves. LR and coral can be pretty sharp as well :)

No... they are all skittish for the most part and the QTs are pretty dark. Sorry, it's hard for me to get a great look of them as well :(

Just enough to see they don't have any health issues.

No problem, I'll try to update more often :)

Thx guys! What are the dimensions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got a nice acro frag pack from Unique Corals :)

https://uniquecorals.com/

Love their pieces aren't fresh cut and encrusted!

unique_11012016.jpg

Also ordered some new CUC members, should get here tomorrow...

very nice! I was just at Unique this weekend. Those 20-30ft coral "Run Ways" are awesome. all types of corals.

very nice! I was just at Unique this weekend. Those 20-30ft coral "Run Ways" are awesome. all types of corals.

Yeah way too much to look at there :eek1:

I've only been there once, but I'll make sure to stop by again next time we're in LA.

Picked up a few more acros from Unique Corals.

Got 12 more Acros, 2 Torches and a Hammer.

unique_11042016.jpg

Tank today:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/flSMlP6I72E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here are the Achilles and Achilles Hybrid a few days ago:

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/191064780" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

They seem to be great friends now... who knows how long that'll last.

I had a RW20 fall off it's rubber mounts yesterday and 1/4 of the sand got blown around and two rock got knocked over. Took a while to get everything back to "normal"... ugh always fun!

Back