470 Gallon Mixed Reef - nuxx Reef

Spotted this rarity while in Cabo... too bad I didn't realize the camera was at an angle...

Other than that, not too much going on...

Here's a video of the tank today, one thing I've noticed is that the coralline in taking off since the GHA has gone away. Also added a small/cheap bounce mushroom to the tank today after being in QT. It started closing up in QT, so after 30 days and 4 dips I decided to move it.

On the fish QT tank end, I added two fans to help pull out more air from the tank. These are very loud, but they were the only ones I could find that run on USB to simplify things. After the next fish gets out of QT, I'll rewire in quiet fans. Also going to add netting under the fans to stop a fish from getting chopped up if they get crazy and try to jump.

I've decided I no longer want to have such a large frag tank that I really don't even use. It's currently for sale, and I'll replace it with a smaller frag tank that'll just serve the purpose of 30 day invert and coral QT. I'll also use display water for water changes and run a Kessil so the environment is as close to the display as possible.

Oh no! Well, that's a very nice snack for a very nice fish. :headwally:

It actually came back on the other side of a rock... found a big mushroom a few days ago the same color as the bounce. Wondering if it'll end up bouncing :lmao:

One of these guys should be arriving early next week :thumbsup:

Getting it from Jordan at Among The Reef (jordan@amongthereef.com), really who I'm using for all my rare fish now :)

gem01.jpg

gem02.jpg

gem3.jpg

He just imported a large batch of fish from Mauritius. The Gems were an unbeatable price and also not the more common ones from Madagascar or mainland Africa.

I'm a little worried about how the Black and Yellow Tangs will treat him. I used an acclimation box and then a huge mirror when I introduced our large CBB. The first CBB was killed from intimidation from the Black and Yellow. After the acclimation box, the second (current) CBB was also getting beat up, but the huge mirror kept the Black and Yellows constant attention, and now the CBB is just fine.

What is the purpose of having an airstone in the QT? With those pumps already pushing a lot of water, especially since they are pointed at the surface, it seems the airstone will not do much... unless it's more for aesthetics or to help calm the fish??

What is the purpose of having an airstone in the QT? With those pumps already pushing a lot of water, especially since they are pointed at the surface, it seems the airstone will not do much... unless it's more for aesthetics or to help calm the fish??

Can't hurt :)

Mainly just whatever I can do to help I will. Some meds will lower the oxygen in the water a lot, so having two extra air pumps makes me feel better about it.

Also have the MaxiJet injecting a bit of oxygen into the water as well.

I'm over the top of filter media as well, running a ton of MarinePure spheres.

With such expensive fish, I really don't mind adding a bit more equipment to the tank.

My mate caught one on the Tuesday before last. I dived there a day to late. I wanna catch one so bad. Oh awesome set up man.

My mate caught one on the Tuesday before last. I dived there a day to late. I wanna catch one so bad. Oh awesome set up man.

That's awesome! I really want a Zebra Tang as well :)

I was born in Cape Town BTW!

I'd love one for my tank!! Maybe one day I will have one. :D

Corey

I'm sure you will. If you would have asked me even a year ago if I'd have a gem and a few other fish I have in the tank now I'd laugh at you... just takes meeting the right person :)

Got the Gem Tang in yesterday and after about an hour of acclimation I had "issues" getting him into the tank. :facepalm:

First he got stuck in the bag, then he got stuck in the container I used to drain out the bag's water...

Tore his dorsal fin a bit, but it'll grow right back in no time.

He ate nori in the first few minutes and a mix of frozen, pellets and flakes in the evening :)

Here's a video of him eating mysis and formula 1 and 2 flakes soaked in Selcon and Vitachem.

Thanks so much to Jordan at Among The Reef again biggrin.png
jordan@amongthereef.com

Very nice, love your QT too, got some really large pipe and some smaller pipes for an assortment of hidey places.

Yeah hid so well this afternoon I couldn't find him. Gave me a heart attack. Moved a piece of pvc and he popped out and started eating lol

Was nervous because I just started Paraguard.

Back