610 dead fish in Hawaii garbage

This incident has many repercussions for us Hawaiian hobbyists because it adds fuel to the movement by a Maui snorkeling tour company to get collection for the aquarium trade completely banned. We already have the strictest rules anywhere about what we can have in our aquariums because of the prohibition on collecting/importing.

If there IS a reasonable explanation for why someone had that many dead fish, I really hope that person comes forward. Otherwise, everyone will just think the worst (of collectors AND hobbyists).

Ugh Snorkle Bob, right?

Jay, don't forgot the "darkside" of aquaculture as well. Hatcheries cull fish all the time. It's not uncommon some of the larger farms to cull tens of thousands a year.

I think not culling some fish is worse than culling them. I feel when you take out natural selection you need to do a little artificial selection from time to time with fish that would not have made it in the wild.

I do agree overall that folks often jump to the conclusion that it was some nefarious fishing method or irresponsible wholesaler. I have easily seen 610 fish die in thread on RC and other sites, just usually not more than 10-15 at a time. I also acknowledge that when you get a healthy fish, you have to realize there were a certain % of shipping losses you are not seeing to include in your personal stake of what you helped remove from the reef.

This quote from the article was news to this "ignorant" reefkeeper, I was under the impression that mortality rates upon arrival or within a week to a LFS were over 50% because transport caused such stress. Does aquiring Ich within a week or two of arrival constitute a "healthy" fish ????

"We work very hard to keep all fish alive and very healthy. Nearly all fish collected arrive to the hobbyist alive. If care is not taken, collectors do not get paid."

I would of assumed collectors get paid when the big wholesalers cut them a check, not when the hobbyist buys the fish at a LFS......No ??

In the time it took you to write those 3 words, tens of thousands of fish were trawled up by commercial fishing boats.

I know this from shrimpboat experience in Mexico. My goodness...no one here who ever eats shrimp should have the nerve to comment....least of all those enrolled in eco-therapy as a soul cleanser.

For every kilo of shrimp we took, we would shovel over the side 15 shovelfulls of misc. broken, busted up fish biomass. Often I would find cortez angels, anglerfish, little rays, seahorses, butterflys, wrasses, triggers, snappers etc.[ not to mention odd deepwater gorgonions, purple corals, a dead turtle etc.]

I think this early experience taught me a lot of what extreme tokenism we "good guys" often practice.
The selective way in which we propose one virtue to conceal our other faults in attempt to trump another.

Oh, its the ol "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at people who keep aquariums thing."
Steve

I know this from shrimpboat experience in Mexico. My goodness...no one here who ever eats shrimp should have the nerve to comment....least of all those enrolled in eco-therapy as a soul cleanser.

For every kilo of shrimp we took, we would shovel over the side 15 shovelfulls of misc. broken, busted up fish biomass. Often I would find cortez angels, anglerfish, little rays, seahorses, butterflys, wrasses, triggers, snappers etc.[ not to mention odd deepwater gorgonions, purple corals, a dead turtle etc.]

I think this early experience taught me a lot of what extreme tokenism we "good guys" often practice.
The selective way in which we propose one virtue to conceal our other faults in attempt to trump another.

Oh, its the ol "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones at people who keep aquariums thing."
Steve

Agree 100%

It's sad that all those fish died, BUT only a small percent of fish killed are due collection; most die because of the fishing industry. What angers me more than 600 fish in this article are the fact that all the people commenting on the article and "trying to make a difference" are attacking the wrong guys. If they really wanted to help save the ocean then their efforts would be concentrated on the fishing industry and not attacking us hobbyists.

I'm sure it was a wholesale shipment. Wholesale companies don't care who they sell to, as long as they sell. This person should have never been aloud to buy those fish in the first place!

There's absolutely no information, to back up that this was a wholesale company, who sold these fish to anyone. For all we know, this could be a collector, who'd experienced minor fish deaths, over a period of time, and stored the dead fish in his freezer. In fact, if I remember the article correctly, there was mention made about it appearing these fish had died at different times, and had been frozen.

It could also be due to a major piece of equipment malfunctioning. There are those of us who would have LOTS of fish, coral, clam, anemone, etc. death, if we had something as simple as a heater malfunction.

It is also the people who buy fish from hawaii, who support this kind of stupidity./QUOTE]
Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. I know a lot if not most of the retail aquarium fish caught in Hawaii is exported to other states and even countries. The power of the internet has produced opportunities never thought of. Don't blame the hobbyist either. I believe there are opportunities for aquaculture all over the world for replenishing what some mishaps may happen. The technology is there but it seems the desire hasn't caught up just yet??

most interesting thread though

Back