6435 Gallon Saltwater Pond Build and smaller 12 ft tank...

wow....however, my guess is that in a couple of years it will be a koi pond? too much weather to deal with in Miami.

wow....however, my guess is that in a couple of years it will be a koi pond? too much weather to deal with in Miami.

My thoughts too, I guess we will have to see how stable it becomes, and how many issues it develops. Just the power bill would make us mortals cry...

Did you not see the 100+ thousands dollar filtration system? I bet it stays saltwater for years if the equipment holds up.

Did you not see the 100+ thousands dollar filtration system? I bet it stays saltwater for years if the equipment holds up.

you ever live in miami during a hurricane? i have from andrew to wilma. when it rains 5 inches in ten minutes i have a hard time keeping my pool clean. the thing looks kool, but koi makes more sense and imo would look better when viewing from the top. the whole idea seems silly, but if someone wants to spend money there is always someone who will take it.

it actually looks like a simi indoor pond to me. looks covered. im sure with that much money spent they'll implement so fail safes.

I saw a saltwater pond in a fish store one time and quite frankly it was boring. It was filled with tangs and triggers and other neat looking fish, the thing is, most saltwater fish just aren't that cool looking from above (or below for that matter). The only saving grace of the pond I saw was an acrylic wall built in one side to see into it.

IMO...total waste of money...Koi would be cooler.

EDIT: I did think of 2 things I'd keep in a tank like that: Sharks and rays.

Last edited:
The owner of Wet Works is a an LA (Louisiana...not Los Angeles) local and a pretty awesome guy. Sam invited our club out to a customer's tank where he was asked to rearrange and trim back some of the corals. All the frags he made, he gave away for free. A lot of folks went home with nice sized frags of SPS and LPS.

Amazing ... but as mentioned, it needs to have more depth and a glass side ... IMHO only rays and sharks look cool viewed from above.

it will look amazing either way, but one wont be able to see all the beauty thats in it ...

you ever live in miami during a hurricane? i have from andrew to wilma. when it rains 5 inches in ten minutes i have a hard time keeping my pool clean. the thing looks kool, but koi makes more sense and imo would look better when viewing from the top. the whole idea seems silly, but if someone wants to spend money there is always someone who will take it.

Yeah, he mentioned that freshwater floats on saltwater... and in a purely technical setting this is true, however rain coming down surely will mix with the salt water and lower the salinity before it drains off over the weir.

That said, I had a pond for a time being (100g preformed pond liner) that basically was a temporary holding vessel while I moved tanks. While it does have some cool aspects to it, unless that surface is not moving and glassy still you don't see as much as you can.

My biggest issue with a pond here, even a covered one, would be to keep it warm enough... you're fighting mother nature all the time only to have the electric company thank you for your continued support as a customer :D

Hello everyone!

It is no surprise that many of you have questions and concerns (as well as insults CHSUB) and I would like to answer all of you in as much detail as possible.

Hopefully the following will be a good start . . .

- The concrete will be sealed and after the tile is installed the system will run with only freshwater for 30 days before being drained and then refilled with natural seawater.

- Only 20% of the pond's surface area is uncovered and exposed to rain. A reservoir for mixing a hypersalinity solution is part of the LSS and the solution's addition will be controlled by a conductivity meter.

- The LSS components, with the exception of the heat pump, were all fabricated by MRC Commercial and designed specifically hold up for years in the Miami weather - full sun and rain. Most components are fabricated from EPDM. Acrylic components will be covered with canvas. Yes, just like the ones on your boat.

- I was born and raised in Miami and very familiar with its weather patterns. They of course played a significant role in LSS design. Every potentiality was taken into consideration when designing the system (which had to be done within the aesthetic constraints set by the architect so no added depth or windows were possible). To ensure its success, every aspect of the system was carefully researched and industry luminaries -- names with which you are all familiar -- were consulted.

- Indo-Pacific shoreline reefs are exceptionally vibrant and beautiful communities to view -- from above. They are too shallow to swim in. I have been extremely fortunate to visit examples on the Great Barrier Reef and Raja Ampat. There will be plenty to see and enjoy in this pond, I assure you.

- Electric companies will thank all of us for our lifelong support. While two high-speed pumps were necessary to generate adequate flow through the UVS and heat pump as well as for skimmer recirculation, the other three are low-speed 6250 GPH Dolphins and only draw a bit over 1 amp. The Trane 7.5 HP heat pump is highly efficient and more than adequate to maintain that +/- 1 degree swing we all so love. Year round. Considering this system's volume, its watts per gallon consumption will very likely be significantly less than yours.

Hopefully this has given you all greater insight.

Although admittedly terrible about checking in on and posting to forums, I'll try to make a greater effort to pop in every once in a while to answer your questions and post updates.

Kind regards,
F. Samuel Slobusky
Wet Work
wetworkreefs.com
New Orleans

A brief update video was shot over MACNA weekend by Mr. Saltwater Tank. I'll post the link here as soon as I've got it.

Back