6435 Gallon Saltwater Pond Build and smaller 12 ft tank...

At last! We are currently in Miami Beach completing the LSS installation for the pond. It will be 100% operationally capable before our departure on 5/27.

Perhaps I missed it in this thread, but what's the plan for pesticides and fertilizers being sprayed nearby and overspray reaching the pond? Or when a neighbor paints their house? Or when the county does a mosquito control spray that bombs the area? Also, the idea that freshwater from precipitation is just going to sit on the top of the saltwater and get skimmed off is flawed. That waterfall and all the pumps will surely mix the water up. No different then when we make artificial seawater for water changes.

I'm not trying to sound like Debbie downer, but for the sake of what sounds like mostly imported reef fish I fear this won't end well for them. My research on these types of setups that aren't using natural sea water pumped from the ocean usually don't end well or last long term. The only ones I've seen with any limited success are using native species and go to great lengths to eliminate precipitation, runoff from structures and excessive sunlight that feed algae blooms.

I hope I'm wrong. It definitely is a cool project.

What No One Thought Of

What No One Thought Of

This project has not been without its challenges, to be sure. Many of the concerns expressed by Reef Central members were the same questions we asked ourselves when we first began designing this craziness. All of the issues that have been mentioned were given considerable, extensive thought, and designed into the system's mechanics after much discussion with familiar names in the industry with a great deal of large system display experience. Torrential downpour salinity corrections, toxins, excess waste, nutrient controls, etc., all far exceed what would be recommended normals for a system of this volume. Wet Work undertook this project and approached it in a manner that satisfied the aesthetic requirements of our client but we made clear that we would do nothing that would give those requirements precedence over the animals' health. That was our primary concern, as it remains, and always is with all of our projects. But, admittedly, we did forget one thing, as all of you did, because it is not mentioned in one comment in one thread on any forum about this project.

BIRDS! :eek:

We did post a few rough HD videos of the operational system on our Facebook page. When we return to convert it to seawater in several weeks and have more time, we'll shoot a much more polished update video. We just thought you'd like to see something :)

facebook.com/wetworknola

Thanks everyone for your interest in this project. We appreciate all of the observations and concerns, and believe me, if we didn't think of it already, we certainly do take it under advisement, so please, keep 'em coming!

All the best,
Sam

Last edited:
Also, when we have scheduled our return, we will post a notice here inviting anyone that lives in the South Florida area (FAMA and Reef Central members only) interested in seeing the Pond and its systems to drop by. Numbers will have to be limited of course so we'll do the first 100 respondents or something fun like that.

See you then!

This project has not been without its challenges, to be sure. Many of the concerns expressed by Reef Central members were the same questions we asked ourselves when we first began designing this craziness. All of the issues that have been mentioned were given considerable, extensive thought, and designed into the system's mechanics after much discussion with familiar names in the industry with a great deal of large system display experience. Torrential downpour salinity corrections, toxins, excess waste, nutrient controls, etc., all far exceed what would be recommended normals for a system of this volume. Wet Work undertook this project and approached it in a manner that satisfied the aesthetic requirements of our client but we made clear that we would do nothing that would give those requirements precedence over the animals' health. That was our primary concern, as it remains, and always is with all of our projects. But, admittedly, we did forget one thing, as all of you did, because it is not mentioned in one comment in one thread on any forum about this project.

BIRDS! :eek:

We did post a few rough HD videos of the operational system on our Facebook page. When we return to convert it to seawater in several weeks and have more time, we'll shoot a much more polished update video. We just thought you'd like to see something :)

facebook.com/wetworknola

Thanks everyone for your interest in this project. We appreciate all of the observations and concerns, and believe me, if we didn't think of it already, we certainly do take it under advisement, so please, keep 'em coming!

All the best,
Sam

congrats, "can't wait" to see it!!!!:bounce1: and remember, i'm here for any heavy lifting!!!

question: what kind of denitrator (media) is that?

Last edited:
Not my cup of tea, but it's all about the customer. Kudos for trying to tackle such a large project. It's going to be hell to maintain. Ugly salt splash/stain/creep everywhere is the first thing that would bug me.

And that chiller is out of control. haha:spin1:

Good point about the birds. Perhaps some fake owls, ospreys or other birds of prey will keep the real ones away. At least there is plenty of places to hide. Another concern is fish jumping out of the water.

I wonder if monofilament pond netting just below the surface would work to solve both potential problems and if it is below the water line you wouldn't see it.

Incredible Sam, incredible. Congratulations on the very near completion of this epic project!

Back