64Ivy's Reeftank. The Crash, The Rebuild, The Saga.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Every so often, I feel the need to respond to the, "I think he's out of the hobby now" rumors that seem to pop up here and there.

Have you thought about buying another Sohal?

No way. Even in my tank, Attilla, at 14", began to look cramped. Became very uncomfortable to look at. So I can't imagine what the last few years must've been like for the fish.

Awesome again! Now that didn't take that long, did it?

Sure felt like it from my end. :lmao: Before the crash, I would regularly host some of our local elementary schools and the Boys & Girls Club for field trips. Having to suspend those for over two years hurt nearly as badly as the episode itself.

Is that an ORA Red planet in the pict before last? How long did it take to grow that big?

Yes. Nearly two years.

what's been going on over there?

Oh, rage, grief, depression, resolve, work, more work, patience...the usual. :)

Awesome tank! I lost my tank during Hurricane Gustav, and I guess there can be a silver lining in that it does provide an opportunity to do something different. I think your new tank is every bit as good as the original, if not better. Well done and thank you for sharing!

Holy Cow! Just amazing. I remember your TOTM, the crash, and now to see this has any of the struggles reefkeepers face put in perspective. Inspirational.

Fantastic looking tank.
Love the mature colonies, did those all start from frags two years ago?

Except for one maricultured piece which was about 3-4", all the rest began as 1-2" frags. The 'Incredible Hulk' acro on the extreme upper right, in fact, came in as a chip so small that I actually complained to the vendor. Anyway, the lesson learned here was that loading up a tank with so many frags for visual interest in the beginning creates a huge problem once they really start to grow in. I spent more time removing corals this past year than I did adding them the year before.

64Ivy -I am blown away. As someone in the last day or so said, "nice comeback"
I am still recovering from a '09 crash while on vaction. I am currenty playing with some frags in a fishroom that I built, and am getting ready for the start of a 450 ish in wall. What do you do with all your equipment? some pics of that would be nice.

Last edited:
Figured it might be time for an update. ;)

Dec.-'10-Reeftank.jpg

IT-FTS-Left-10-10.jpg

IT-FTS-Right-10-10.jpg

IT-Idaho Grape-Detail-10-10.jpg

ORA-Scripps-12-10.jpg

IT-Red-Planet-10-10.jpg

IT-Monti-Cup.jpg

:eek1: WOOWWWWW!!!!!! You're tank looks incredible. I see you were the TOTM in '03, you should try again for 2011.

Beautiful! I have a question about that maroon coral - I see it has white around the edges. Is that new growth? I have the same coral and have white all around the perimeter. At first I thought it was bleaching but I do see polyps.

Is that the normal way this grows? I also don't know what coral it is, so if you have the name that would be great.

What do you do with all your equipment? some pics of that would be nice.

With all of the 'Architectural Digest' worthy fish room set ups I've seen on this board, I sometimes feel a little self conscious posting mine. But it seems to work and since you asked:

An overview. In this shot, you can see my auxilliary (LPS) tank, my kalk reactor on top of the sump, my 120W UV on the back wall and my carbon and GFO reactors on the floor below the 'catwalk'. Not shown are the ozonizer and biodenitrator.

Back-Room-Overview-12-10.jpg

This is a FTS from the Rear. Shown here is the tubing for both upper and lower returns, the three controllers for my 6 Tunze 6200 powerheads and the meters for both the CR (not shown) and kalk doser. Also shown above are three Sfiligoi Infinity Twin 400W MH Pendants.

Back-Room-Tank-Rear-12-10.jpg

This is the RO/DI used for top off (kalk) water which is stored in the Brute trash can in the back. The main RO/DI is a 5-stage Spectrapure located under the sink (not shown) The Hammerhead pumps, by the way, are two of three used for returning water to the tank.

Back-Room-RO-DI-12-10.jpg

125g mixing tank and the rear of the manual, dormitory sized washer-dryer used for cleaning filter socks.

Back-Room-Mixing-Tank-12-10.jpg

Closer shot of the kalk reactor/doser and the H&S skimmer (A-250-2x1260). Above can be seen 2 of 6 Sfiligoi ACLS Ballasts used to run the lights.

Back-Room-Kalk-Doser-12-10.jpg

Beautiful! I have a question about that maroon coral - I see it has white around the edges. Is that new growth? I have the same coral and have white all around the perimeter. At first I thought it was bleaching but I do see polyps.

Is that the normal way this grows? I also don't know what coral it is, so if you have the name that would be great.

The coral is sold as an ORA Red Planet and, yes, it is a tabling acro. The white growth edges seem to be normal with this piece.

pretty cool :thumbsup:

It is always nice to see how people have things set up.
a couple of quick quesitons;

Do you have a work space next to the 40gal?
How much noise gets through into the viewing room in front of the tank?
How do you control room temp/humidity?

Your lighting fixtures are something that I had been thinking agbout for my new set up. How do you like the double 400's . I saw the same type at HOF when I was talking with Alex a few weeks back. Do they give a good spread?

pretty cool :thumbsup:

It is always nice to see how people have things set up.
a couple of quick quesitons;

Do you have a work space next to the 40gal?

Not as much as I'd like but yes. It's where I do my testing, mix my fish food, and, when combined with the little stool, where I take my naps.

Oh yes, there's a sink over there too.

How much noise gets through into the viewing room in front of the tank?

A lot, unfortunately. In fact, because I neglected to run any air conditioning back there, I have to keep the door to the viewing room open most of the time to avoid overheating the entire space. Good thing it's all in the basement and not near a sleeping area or else the family would have go.

J/K

How do you control room temp/humidity?

Temp: I cannot, other than leaving the viewing room door open
Humiidity: Vented to the outside. Fortunately, I had the foresight to do THAT.

Your lighting fixtures are something that I had been thinking agbout for my new set up. How do you like the double 400's . I saw the same type at HOF when I was talking with Alex a few weeks back. Do they give a good spread?

I do like them; especially their ability to slowly ramp up and down like LED's. At 36" deep, I had very little choice than to go with 400's but a true benefit is that they have given me the ability to grow several species of coral, including acros, directly off the bare bottom. The spread is great for me; the only area of the tank that is 'darker' is the extreme right side and you could only tell that with a meter.

definetly diggin the tank its sumthin to shoot for myself. what is the purplish lookin thing on the end that really makes the tank pop

Very nice Ivy!

Reminds me what a man of unlimited funds, superb physical endurance, and maximum scientific knowledge can do.

Well, at least a rich guy with a bunch of time and patience :)

Congrats on the rebound!

Last edited:
I really like your Tunze Set-up. Sorry to hear about your loss, I had to sell my 180 reef about 6 years ago, and that sucked! But good for you for getting right back into the hobby :)

Back