72deg okay for Reidi's?

Morgandy

Folks, I've been keeping all the ponies at 74, but at night it is dropping to about 72 - how low can I go safely with them?

thx!

maybe up your day time temp to 76 so it only drops to 74 at night? why is your temp dropping? mine stays at 74 on the tank, have the house set for 65*

I keep H. reidi at 69 F for 3 months during last winter. They were still pumping out fry every two weeks like clockwork. I have seen them go as low as 65 without issue.

Dan

Thanks guys..Dan, I think that was more the question, how low could I really keep them where they wouldn't be uncomfortable. thx!

I think keeping them at the lower range of the temperatures is benifical in that it slows the growth of any type of bacteria.

Some strains of vibrio become non factors at 69 degrees.

Well, I'd like to keep it low in that range. My twin-spot goby, the only other inhabitant, does not seem affected by the cooler temps, and neither do my corals. So, I'll keep any eye on the goby, and if any signs of distress, I'll move him out. I have 3 new catalina gobies in QT, which I'll be putting in with the ponies. The temps will be good for them.

thx all!

Hi Amy!! Catalina's huh?? Cool!!!! You coming Friday? Not sure if we will be able to make it yet or not... but I hope to!!

Hi Lori, yeah, I'm going. I have to sell sell sell old junk for some moola! I'm going to keep the Catalina's QT'd for a few more weeks, but they're going to be lovely additions to the tank! Hope to see you Friday.

Reidi are from Florida and that area, aren't they? What temps in the ocean are they then used to? They've been lowered to 69 and will stay there (I had to move my twin-spot Goby to another tank that is warmer). The Catalina's should be good with the ponies with the cool climate.

Back