A ~19,000 Gallon Aquarium

Rent a gunite machine and it will save a lot of time. You can make the base out of styrofoam. The weight of the cement will make sue it doesn't float away on you.

GuniteMachine.jpg

took me a long time to get through this but great tank. I bet it is fun to actually be able to snorkle in your own tank.

I can't wait to see this when it is done. I've been reading over this thread for weeks when I get the time. Gets me pumped for my new project!

Any Updates?
Sadly no updates. I am travelling and won't be back until mid December. I hear this is more fish (mostly Angelfish).

took me a long time to get through this but great tank. I bet it is fun to actually be able to snorkle in your own tank.
I love the fact that I can snorkel in my tank.

I can't wait to see this when it is done. I've been reading over this thread for weeks when I get the time. Gets me pumped for my new project!
I think it is never done. I'm hoping for relatively stable though :)

Some minor updates. I got the water test results a while ago but couldn't post it because I was there and they were here .. :)

Anyway, here is the results:
water-test-2010-10-27.jpg

Here are my thoughts:
pH: a bit low, but I have active monitoring for this and it usually over 8 so I'm not worried.
TDS: WAY TOO HIGH. I thought this might be the case but didn't think it will be this high. My initial plan was to have continuous water changing with a small pump to make sure the TDS remained constant. That didn't work and I don't seem to do that enough water change. Also, I've never came around to installing and calibrating the salinity probe. I think I should now and hook up the water change pump to it: when it gets higher than a certain level, the pump will start to get it down.
Calcium: A bit high. I've read that the acceptable range is 350 - 450 mg/L.
Ammonia: A bit too high?
Potassium: WAY TOO HIGH. I've read that the acceptable range is between 350 to 450 mg/L.

I can read the numbers but I can't interpret them. Any input? Also, how do you think adding a skimmer help with all of this? Sadly, I've learned that the maids decided to throw excess food into the aquarium and it has been going on for some time. It has finally stopped but I think it took a toll on the tank.

The TDS seems very high. I'd expect a number closer to 35ppt. Have you used a refractometer or other method to cross check this?

Back