A few sps brown out

michaelis88

i bought lots of stock of sps in the past months. Before, they were from a friend of mine's tank under Leds but now the color has turned brown. Dont know if its my water or the leds, since all other corals are fine. This has happend ever since I bought them a month ago.
My tank is 6 t5s with 4 blues, 1 white and 1 purple.
65 gallon
all Nitrate phos are at 0 with API test kit. Im going to borrow a high end test kit for that.
alk8
Ca 400
Mg 1260-1300
temp25C
tank 1 year old

I wish all of you can give me some advice and opnions
null_zps7591f488.jpg

null_zps55ae24dc.jpg

now a month after, I have tried to move around these two different spot but seems not stopping. I acclmated very very very slowly, took only 20mins drive from there to my house so....
null_zpsd83feb82.jpg

null_zpsce8f318a.jpg

Relax they are probably just in light shock because led's emit a total different spectrum of light than t5's. Give me time and good water quality and they will be fine

thank you for your reply.
I hope its totally the light shock etc nothing do with the water etc.
do you recommend to start the corals from the very bottom and work the way up, or just leaving it at the top of the tank is fine?

Welcome to leds.

Most of my sps browned under leds, since chanced to t5 everything os gainning colors again, nothing diferent in my routine

weird i got mine from under leds and put them under different leds and they have browned out on me! its driving me crazy, must get to the bottom of this. let me know when you find any change thanks

just did a water test on nitrate and phosphate with salfert
nitrate 2.5ppm
phosphate almost 0 so less than 0.3

My Ca can be low sometimes around 370 I always try to keep it at 400 or 420

Does anyone know flatworm can cause sps turn pale?

just did a water test on nitrate and phosphate with salfert
nitrate 2.5ppm
phosphate almost 0 so less than 0.3

My Ca can be low sometimes around 370 I always try to keep it at 400 or 420

Does anyone know flatworm can cause sps turn pale?

They wont if your system is healthy

One more thing to add is the carbon im using is Chemi Pure Elite and Purgien
these two were recommended by ppl who were using the same tank as me (red sea Max), but I now realize there is a high possible that these two could suck the good minerals out which is causing the problem right now. I dont see much good systems are using what Im using, ppl always use reactor phosban etc.

Can anyone think this can be related to that?

Healthy as in balanced and at proper levels and stable. Also get a maxi jet power head or similar and blow current directly onto the affected corals to see if anything comes off. Wrasses also could help...

Hey Michael,
The tank really looks great! You hit it on the head yourself, once you switch from T5's to LED's you have 2 choices...either place corals lower and slowly bring up over a course of a few weeks or if your LED's are dimmable turn down to 50% and run like that for 4 weeks before starting to increase. When you do increase move in small increments and you should be just fine. Keep up the good work, looks great!

the thing is even something come off, i cant tell if they are dirt or bugs....
i did dip the coral last week to see anything. I did find black things but they are as small as a pinhead, which i cant tell even it has leg or anything. Couldnt even tell if it was moving or not because they are tinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny....

Two things looks like is going on.
1) light
2) different water conditions then were they cam From.

Take it slow and they will adjust and this take time not weeks but maybe a month or two before they start displaying there true colors again. As for the tiny black bugs can you get a picture? And do you see any bite marks?

I changed T5 for LEDS and to have success of it without any brown color was the control of the PAR and the consuming, especially Kh. I made Kh tests daily to control it.

Two things looks like is going on.
1) light
2) different water conditions then were they cam From.

Take it slow and they will adjust and this take time not weeks but maybe a month or two before they start displaying there true colors again. As for the tiny black bugs can you get a picture? And do you see any bite marks?

understood
1. light theres nothing i can do about it. but are you saying this is just light shock or the spercturm? cuz one can be for ever and the other is just timing.
2.water condition for sure is a lot different to each different tanks. do you guys always keep your phosphate and nitrate at 0 or give a tiny bit like 0.3 ppm

for the bugs, i might as well dip it again? to see if anything come off, then i will take a few photos, i try to see if there was any bite marks but i cant tell cuz seems ok to me. I never had bugs issue before so im not experienced at this.

thanks

Back