A nano tank to replace my 140g setup

Hmm, my bleached rock has been curing for a good while now and I'm STILL getting a nitrite and nitrate spike off the scales.... No ammonia though, which is good.

I think the bleach definitely did its job, but there seems to be a LOAD of stuff that is dead and rotting deep inside the rocks that is causing this huge spike.

Yay for killing off the biodiversity!

I wonder if I shouldn't just pick up a box of the caribsea base rock for my nano.

Tyler

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14564576#post14564576 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by melev
Or perhaps some nice clean LR?

PBITAWA. :D

That's an oxymoron where I am. "Nice clean LR" here equates to "valonia and aptasia infested caribsea base rock the LFS dumps into his tanks and sells for 10x the cost". :)

Yup, nothing like a little bleach to clean things up! :) Lol. Bah, I should've just cooked this rock. Oh well, that's life.

Tyler

The Solana 34g, with black stand, and 150w HQI is now on order from Marine Depot. I also picked up a couple koralia 1 powerheads for it.

Now I just have to wait for my paypal payment to go through since I made a mistake and accidentally paid in Canadian $. :) Whooops. :)

Tyler

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14565063#post14565063 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgunn
That's an oxymoron where I am. "Nice clean LR" here equates to "valonia and aptasia infested caribsea base rock the LFS dumps into his tanks and sells for 10x the cost". :)

Yup, nothing like a little bleach to clean things up! :) Lol. Bah, I should've just cooked this rock. Oh well, that's life.

Tyler

Yeah the LR here can be a bit sketchy.

J&L has nice rock if you want to pay to ship.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14570878#post14570878 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgunn
The Solana 34g, with black stand, and 150w HQI is now on order from Marine Depot. I also picked up a couple koralia 1 powerheads for it.

Now I just have to wait for my paypal payment to go through since I made a mistake and accidentally paid in Canadian $. :) Whooops. :)

Tyler

Finally!! LOL I personally think you will be much happier this way.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14571663#post14571663 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reefinabox
Finally!! LOL I personally think you will be much happier this way.

:lol: yeah, I should've just ordered the Solana from the start. I am REALLY looking forward to it. I should be able to pick it up at the border this weekend if all goes well. Yay!

Tyler

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14571213#post14571213 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by WinnipegDragon
Yeah the LR here can be a bit sketchy.

J&L has nice rock if you want to pay to ship.

I should check into their rock I guess. I was really hoping to reuse what I have, but we'll see I guess.

Tyler

According to the Marine Depot website, my Koralias just arrived in Salt Lake City, Utah.
IN TRANSIT 03/11/2009 15:29:00 SALT LAKE CITY, UT US ARRIVAL SCAN

So they're now almost 1/2 way complete their journey!

No word on the Solana; hopefully it'll make it to the border around the same time so I can make a trip down this weekend to pick up.

Hmm, my bleached rock for the nano is STILL pumping out the nitrites faster than the bacteria can process it into nitrates. Upon dumping the reagent into the sample it almost instantly turns pink, without the 3 minute wait.

This is a much more intense cycle than I thought I'd get.

I'm almost wondering if i shouldn't just order a box of caribsea base rock and use that. Start fresh.

I priced out some "real" live rock online and the shipping is a killer. No thanks.

Tyler

Wow, I can sure see why we use an surface skimming overflow to feed our sumps/skimmers. I've been having a hard time keeping the surface of the sump setup stirred up enough to prevent it from skinning over with proteins. I just swapped out my maxijet mod powerhead for one of my Tunze 6101s; that should hopefully keep things in suspension a bit better so the skimmer can pull it out.

Well I expect the Koralias to be at the border tomorrow; that's their official delivery date. I have no idea about the Solana since MD never did give me a tracking number, perhaps I'll have to call them on that.

Tyler

Well I called Marine Depot to track down my Solana and was given a Purchase Order # for Current-USA. I tried calling Current-USA to speak to someone about getting a tracking number for my order, but alas they have one of those really annoying menued phone systems that makes it impossible to actually talk to a human being.

So I emailed them to see if I can get a status on my order so I can try to plan when I'll be picking everything up at the border. Pembina, ND is a tiny little border town and apparently they're expecting flooding this spring. I certainly would like to be able to pick up my order in a timely manner given this. <grrrrrr>

Bah, so much for good timing on the shipping. My Koralias will arrive at the border tomorrow, and the Solana JUST shipped today. Sheesh, I'll be ready to move by the time this thing gets here!

Well, it turns out the Solana is moving quickly. It just departed the shipping depot in Minneapolis, on its way to Fargo, ND. The shipping company expects final delivery to Pembina, ND tomorrow.

So that means probably Sunday I'll end up picking up the Solana.

Not much else to report :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14600969#post14600969 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tgunn
I'm almost wondering if i shouldn't just order a box of caribsea base rock and use that. Start fresh.

I priced out some "real" live rock online and the shipping is a killer. No thanks.

Tyler

caribsea sells base rock? where can I find info on it?

Well, the tank is supposed to be delivered at teh border today, but it still tracks as in route to North Dakota. What horrible shipping service! It's not hard to give a delivery date. OH well, guess that means I wont be getting it this weekend.

In other news, my rock is almost cycled. Nitrites at probably 0.1ppm, and nitrates are 1ppm. So I think the cycle should be about done in a few more days.

Tyler

Back