a new chapter in my reef keeping that's long overdue. a NEW tank build.

CMcNeil

Its been a while since I've had a reef tank going and the itch is making me crazy.I'm going to keep this build simple and not but building a lot of things like I've done in the past.I might build the stand out of starboard but it has to be cost effective or I'll just buy one or make one from wood.the only other things I'll be building will be my overflow box and sump.here is my list of tank and equipment I have planned but a few items may change depending on my funds.I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck without skimping. I know that sounds like a contradiction but my plan is to spend as little as possible and get the best quality equipment I can afford.the tank will be a mixed reef of SPS/LPS with SPS being dominant.here's my list for the build.

Tank-Deep Blue 20" x20" x16" non RR
Lighting-Aqua Illumination Prime
Return pump-Tunze 1073.02(this may change)
Flow pump-Vortec MP-10
Protein skimmer-Eshopps s120 but I'm still highly considering the Bubble Magus NAC 3.5
ATO-Tunze nano osmolator
Controller-Reef Keeper lite
Heater-Ehiem 100w
Sump-10 gallon tank with glass baffles I install
Top off tank-10 gallon tank

The skimmer and return pump are the only two things I'm up in the air about.I know the Tunze pump is reliable and quiet but it isn't cheap so I'm up to suggestions. Same for the skimmer,I know the eshopps s120 will be a great skimmer and perform well but the price is a little higher than I want to spend so that's why I'm considering the NAC 3.5 but again I'm open to suggestions. LMK what you all think and offer me some return pump and skimmer suggestions.this will be a slow build as I will be buy one or two pieces at a time as funds allow.

Glad to see you are getting back into it. You were a big source of help and information for me (and many others) when I first got into the hobby. In regards to the skimmer I ran a BM nac 3.5 on my SPS dominant 40g breeder and it worked great. I think it's your best bet for the money. Tagging along on your build.

Chris, i still have your elos stand that you custom built. You are welcome to have it back for free.

Wow I don't even remember what it looks like but if it is at least 20"x20" footprint then I'd be more than happy to get it back.can you check the dimensions and post a picture in this thread for me?I really appreciate the offer, if it fits then that would save me time and money.

Glad to see you are getting back into it. You were a big source of help and information for me (and many others) when I first got into the hobby. In regards to the skimmer I ran a BM nac 3.5 on my SPS dominant 40g breeder and it worked great. I think it's your best bet for the money. Tagging along on your build.

Thank you for the kind words and I'm glad I could help however I did.the BM 3.5 is about $80-90 less which could basically cover the cost of some other piece of equipment like the ATO or 2/3 the cost of the controller.the sicce syncra pump was the other one I was thinking about getting. I know its less than the Tunze and basically the same pump.

According to your post.

Stand measures 23 1/2" front to back and 24" wide.the op piece measures 25 3/4" front to back and 26 1/2" side to side.

Attachments

• IMG_3737.jpg
    IMG_3737.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3736.jpg
    IMG_3736.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 0
Welcome back chris, funny w the stand, looks like it might work, we all seem to have a little of your handy work in our systems

One prime will not cover your whole tank. They are only good up to 18×18 and that's from AI in an email I got from them.

According to your post.

Stand measures 23 1/2" front to back and 24" wide.the op piece measures 25 3/4" front to back and 26 1/2" side to side.

Could you confirm the top dimensions.ad long as its 20x20 it Will Work great and I'd be glad to have it back.thbanks again for the generous offer.

John from FAIOS told me they cover a 20x20 footprint and all SPS will be at the top.

It is a awesome light I was just saying what I was told by AI when I asked about that light on my biocube29. Also if you do get that light get with crazy eye on his mod of the arm if you are going to us it.

It is a awesome light I was just saying what I was told by AI when I asked about that light on my biocube29. Also if you do get that light get with crazy eye on his mod of the arm if you are going to us it.

Thanks for the info and I will contact crazy eye when I get it to find out about the mod.

The sicce cost more than the Tunze and puts out less water.

I did not know that the Sicce cost more than the Tunze.however the Sicce has a few more pump sizes and at that point maybe cost less. I need to do a little more research to see what's best for me.I really only need about 300gph at 3ft head.

Yes u r correct what they say 18x18 but I have seen it. It will cover the full 20 x20 no problem is long as u hang it a foot or so above tht tank.

Glad to c u back Chris!

Roger

John from FAIOS told me they cover a 20x20 footprint and all SPS will be at the top.

Just picked up a black AI Prime from John for my 29g biocube. No problem with coverage that I can see. This little light is pretty bright and although I havent tested it with a par meter I dont think I'm gonna have any problems growing SPS in any area of the tank.

Welcome back chris, funny w the stand, looks like it might work, we all seem to have a little of your handy work in our systems

How is my old Reef Savvy treating you Sam? I'd love for you to post a picture of it if you have it running.

Yes u r correct what they say 18x18 but I have seen it. It will cover the full 20 x20 no problem is long as u hang it a foot or so above tht tank.

Glad to c u back Chris!

Roger

It feels good to be back Roger.I see you have the red dragon acro,that one is high on must have list. Maybe when I'm ready you can hook me up with a nice frag pack.

Just picked up a black AI Prime from John for my 29g biocube. No problem with coverage that I can see. This little light is pretty bright and although I havent tested it with a par meter I dont think I'm gonna have any problems growing SPS in any area of the tank.

Awesome, what's your overall impression of the light?did you get the tank mount or hanging kit?AI's website claims 500 PAR at 12". My tank is only going to be 16" tall so I think I'll be able to grow any coral anywhere in the tank.

Back