A new lens. Spring has sprung?

Reef Bass

colors and textures
I finally got a chance to stick my new 400 on my 6D, or more accurately my 6D on my 400, and click off a few. Very happy with the results. This is a test shot, not an art shot.

I wanted to capture the petals on the tree's flowers from behind, glowing with the lowering sun striking their face. The pic is very busy as I was shooting up through some branches and there were lots of competing things.

I am very impressed with the sharpness of the lens. When I zoom in on the original shot, as opposed to the resized and compressed jpg here, the texture of each petal in the focal plane is beautiful in its detail. The stamen of the flowers are obvious and distinct.

The bokeh is beautiful. This is at f9, so it's not as creamy as it would be wide open (f5.6), but I love what I see, especially on the right side of the image.

What's really wrong with this image is that it's January and this tree is blooming.

If you look at the blossoms on the three outside corners, yes, at 5.6 it should really show it's stuff. Not bad as it is.

What's really wrong with this image is that it's January and this tree is blooming.

:sad1:

spring?? not in the NE, cold as h-E- double hockey sticks. and Jordan, your portfolio on flik'r is outstanding. good to know my 7D at least has the potential to take some good images.

Jordan, that owl shot is da bomb!!!!

+1! How much do you have to pay the owl for that fly by? ;)

Thanks Jesse and Ken, that owl shot is actually the result of dumb luck, I drove out almost 2 hours one way to see this reported Great Gray mere days after getting the 400L. My father in law had the foresight to send a monopod along with me, but really, I had no idea what I was doing with the lens, or really my 7D for that matter. As luck would have it, there were a lot of people nearby who had spotted the owl making finding it easy, the weather was cold and sunny (good conditions for that lens), and then it flew out into a field and flew back at an angle directly at me (I was a good distance away, and it was as if it honed in on me with missile lock, see below). Anyhow, I thought this was the first of many great BIF shots of this calibre with this lens - little did I know, that was a heck of an encounter, one not to be even remotely repeated since! I didn't realize at the time what I had, I've had lots of good shots and fun with that lens, but that capture is a cut above all others I've managed since. Anyhow, that shot alone was worth the price of my 400 - it is framed and hangs in the hallway between the kitchen and main entrance of my home. :)

Ken, you're going to have a blast with that lens, it is long enough to get some great pictures while on the move, but short and light enough to not be a burden. Looking forward to your pics in the weeks and months to come. :beer:

Bestof2012-2.jpg by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

spring?? not in the NE, cold as h-E- double hockey sticks. and Jordan, your portfolio on flik'r is outstanding. good to know my 7D at least has the potential to take some good images.

Thanks! The 7D is a great camera, I kept it specifically to pair with the 400 5.6 despite getting the 6D just after Christmas. The extra reach of the crop body is nice in a lot of situations.

Spring? Thats crazy! We're having a good old fashioned winter here in southern Ontario.

The 400 5.6 is a great lens, I never move it off 5.6, it does create some beautiful bokeh:

Bestof2012-17.jpg by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Bestof2012-1.jpg by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Common Loon by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Algonquin Moose by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Just wish I had more time to get out and use it these days.

While all of these images are good or better, the Owl shot is awesome!! Wow!!!

The owl, and moose are my favs.

But, man....that owl pic....absolutely ridiculous shot. Great timing...

Jordon those are TRULY amazing shots. I've always admired your reef photography, but the sheer beauty of those shots is just spectacular! The 2nd shot is...what can I say...WOW...that Owl has his sight locked on you with his piercing eyes...Amazing dude!

Wow...not much else to say. I snapped off a few pics of a snowy owl we've had in the area the last few weeks (and by area I mean NE Wisconsin and it's been one of our coldest winters on record). Is that a 400mm lens you're using? Mine is a 300...but I'm thinking I may need to go longer. These are without a tripod as well. Hopefully these links work...

1796580_10152065807374713_1746892948_n.jpg

1912092_10152065807424713_739523771_n.jpg

Back