A Reef in the Sky

Getting on board a sweet build
Welcome on-board...

forgive me if this was asked and answer previously Andrew, but... IF, in the event the small pump (located at the bottom of your overflow) needs to be cleaned or replaced, how do you approach doing so?...
it looks to me to be an extremely "tight space"... :(
No problems at all... I took some pictures to help explain.

I elected for 'slip' bulkheads to allow easy removal of the CJ standpipes. More room now :) *Note the space to the right of the small pump. This is used to slide the pump out of the piping.
Overflow1.jpg

Pump removed
Overflow2.jpg

The components
OVerflow3.jpg

The internal overflow was placed where it is so I could lean over and access this area. Any further into the tank and I wouldn't be able to reach it :hmm6: Hope that helps.

Man, this built is something else! I applaud you for thinking outside the box. There several awesome ideas here for others employ and build on. Really great work :thumbsup:
Thank you. Hope the ideas help others. I'm fortunate I had a great builder that was willing to try and ask if unsure.

I love the clean look of this tank and stand. The light lowering/lifting winch is amazing. I would guess this idea will be standard equipment on all the extreme builds soon. The best part is when you lift the light, it still shines on the tank so you are able to see what you are doing inside the tank. Genus.
Thank you for the kind words. Hopefully some ideas can be used. I just did exactly what you mentioned, raised the lights to take the pictures above (expect I turned the lights off)

oh silly me... :p
to think, I almost thought you hadn't "thought through" an aspect of your build... :eek:

shame on me..!!! :lol:

Once again, your vision is just astonishing and a pleasure to follow Andrew :)

regards,
Craig :)

Amazing tank build. I can't wait to see this tank fired up. Andrew, will you post a pic of your I~Zeo reactor showing how the top plate attaches to the cylinder. TIA.

Andrew,
in your 1st post where is that beautiful sunrise picture from?
it gave me a flashback when i was in Maui, Hawaii Mount Haleakala sunrise.
it's breath-taking to witness that moment...just curious where your inspiration originated from. thanks and congrats!

So if the sunrise/sunset inspired your build, are you going to try and place all of the bright yellow and orange corals at the bottom rockwork, then the red above that, then all of the blue above that, and then all of the purple at the top??? :)

Or you could reverse it (i.e., put the yellow/orange corals at the top)...

I didn't really think you were going to LITERALLY go for the sunset/sunrise look, but it would still be an interesting color scheme.

I've been following since the beginning and seeing the end of the design phase / final product is really impressive. That tank/stand is a piece of (modern) art in itself. Well done!

oh silly me... :p
to think, I almost thought you hadn't "thought through" an aspect of your build... :eek:

shame on me..!!! :lol:

Once again, your vision is just astonishing and a pleasure to follow Andrew :)

regards,
Craig :)
lol... thanks Craig. Out of interest... someone on the Hong Kong forums thinks that the small pump check valve will not work because the back flow pressure will be low. :confused: Good point, but I think there will be enough pressure to trigger the check valve since the piping is at the bottom and the weight of all the water will be substantial. Of course, will test it.

Amazing tank build. I can't wait to see this tank fired up. Andrew, will you post a pic of your I~Zeo reactor showing how the top plate attaches to the cylinder. TIA.
Thank you... me too. No problems regarding the pics.

Showing the unit dis-mantled. This design keeps the cylinder pressurized (filled with water covering the stones when the pump is off for 3hours)
I-Zeo1-1.jpg

Remove the plastic screw and slide the white plate up to access the chamber to add the stones.
I-Zeo2-1.jpg

A close up of the plastic screws
I-Zeo3-1.jpg

Hope that helps

Andrew,
in your 1st post where is that beautiful sunrise picture from?
it gave me a flashback when i was in Maui, Hawaii Mount Haleakala sunrise.
it's breath-taking to witness that moment...just curious where your inspiration originated from. thanks and congrats!
Thank you Santi. It was taken over India in during summer. Sunrises are certainly great.
The concept of 'A Reef In The Sky' will be reveled later on... and it's nothing fancy.

So if the sunrise/sunset inspired your build, are you going to try and place all of the bright yellow and orange corals at the bottom rockwork, then the red above that, then all of the blue above that, and then all of the purple at the top??? :)

Or you could reverse it (i.e., put the yellow/orange corals at the top)...

I didn't really think you were going to LITERALLY go for the sunset/sunrise look, but it would still be an interesting color scheme.
I had planned on placing corals depending on their colours but with the island concept I have, it will be difficult. At one stage I had though of placing them per colour similar to a rainbow but that would just be too difficult.

I'd be happy if they just survive and grow.

I've been following since the beginning and seeing the end of the design phase / final product is really impressive. That tank/stand is a piece of (modern) art in itself. Well done!
Cheers... I wanted to try to design and create a setup that looks modern. Glad you also think so. Thanks

I'll be the first to say it... this is a future Tank of the Month. You've surely got our attention, can't WAIT to see it up and running! :D

Andrew,

Thanks for the pics of the Zeo reactor. In the first pic, you show a top down perspective of the main cylinder. Can you post another pic to show how the top flange is connected to the main cylinder from below.

This thread just blows me away - awesome
Thank you.. glad you like.

I'll be the first to say it... this is a future Tank of the Month. You've surely got our attention, can't WAIT to see it up and running! :D
Thank you Cali... I'll be happy if I can keep the corals alive though

Beautiful work :inlove:
Thanks

This thread is Priceless !!
Glad you like... I enjoy updating and posting pics/info!

Andrew,
Thanks for the pics of the Zeo reactor. In the first pic, you show a top down perspective of the main cylinder. Can you post another pic to show how the top flange is connected to the main cylinder from below.
No problems... I took this picture showing what you wanted to see. It seems that the top flange has been routed so the cylinder slips inside and is then glued.

I-Zeo4-1.jpg

The tank is coming along nicely. Will you be using LED's for moon lights?
Hi Ricky, thanks. Maybe, but this will be down the track though. I do have those spare blue LEDs that were pictured earlier.

Dosing

I will be using the Profilux x4 Dosing Unit to keep the Ca, Alk and Mg within limits. The other dosing pump will be used for the ATO. Custom containers will be built soon plus a stand for the units.

BothUnits2.jpg

After much reading, questions and price comparisons I have decided to go with E.S.V B-Ionic. Since it's not available here in Hong Kong I'll be purchasing it from the US.

EV1115_1.jpg

EV1115_99.jpg

EV2170_99.jpg

These x3 items plus the basic 4 zeovit products should keep me going a while then I may venture into individual KZ supplements for tweaking.

Salt

I have been receiving inquires regarding where to get Reefers Best Salt (RBS) here in the Asia area plus the dimensions of the boxes. I get mine here in HKG and here are the specs for those concerned

Weight: 20kgs
Size: Width 34cm, Height 25.5cm & Depth 25cm
Wrapping: transparent plastic bag and tag for authenticity (problems here in Asia of counterfeit items)

RBS1.jpg

RBS2.jpg

Test Kits

Decided to get a couple of extra kits for clarification plus some of mine are nearing their expiry date.

What I plan on using (Primary & backup/conformation)

No3: La Motte & Salifert
Po4: Hanna & Salifert
Ca: Salifert & Elos
Mg: Salifert & Elos
Akl: La Motte & API

I also use B-Ionic for all my dosing Ca/Alk/Mg. I think it works great. I recently added a kalk stirrer but just for pH. I still rely on the B-Ionic for my tank's demands. I have always used it from the very begining.

Back