A. thiellei -vs- A. leucokranos

The info is a little dated if not incorrect. Esp the info regarding leucokranos and thiellei.
Don't get me wrong. It is a very useful site for making ids. I just think they should update the info and provide photographs of as many of the species as possible.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10990326#post10990326 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maxxII
Wetsleeves,
Where did you get your Leucs from?

Also, I didnt see you mention it anywhere in this thread, but on page 110 of my copy of "Anemone Fishes and their host Sea Anemones", Fautin and Allen state that A.thiellei is most likely a hybrid between A.chrysopterus and A.sandarcinos.....just like A.leucokronos...

so if this is true, and both are hybrids from the same pairs of parents...wouldnt they be the same fish?

Nick

Nick,
My copy says
"The species was described from two specamins obtained from a pet dealer; their origin is uncertain, although they are believed to have been collected in the Philippines. The species appears to be dietinctive in coloration and morphology (especially a low gill raker count), but until more specamins are studdied, it's status as a valid species is provisional: it might represent a rare variant of another species or a hybrid. No other specamins have been seen since the two original fish were obtained."
My copy was printed in 1994. ;)

WetSleeves,
My copy has a footnote at the bottom of the page, (underneath the photo on pg 110) that say this fish is thought to be a hybrid of A. crysopterus and A . sandarcinos....

Dont know when my copy was printed...I'm at work right now, and its at home. When I get home tonight, I'll check. Mine might very well be a typo/misprint. I've found one earlier in the book.

Nick

There is another possiblity that we aren't considering. Thiellei could simply be misbars of sandaracinos and/or perideraion caused by increased pollution off the coast of the Philippines.

I noticed the oranger fish in my book also looks to be a little pug nosed. This is often associated with poor water conditions in tank raised fish.

FWIW: There is a famous fish taxonimist (Burgess) who has seen several thiellei and swears that they are a distinct species based on gill raker count, scale pattern on the head and a couple other things. Of course he submitted the first species discription, so has a little stake in them being a new species.

Good thought Phil. I still think that they are hybrids, but your idea does have merrit. I never considered that.

WetSleeves,
Just checked my book....its a 1997 revised edition. The footnote is located under the Distribution map in the Remarks section.

Like I said earlier, it could be a misprint though...

On page 27 where it describes E.quadricolor anemones, it shows two pictures....one of a colony of E.quadricolor, and a second labeled, "Solitary form of E.quadricolor", where it depicts a nice H.aurora....and uses the same picture for the following page on H.aurora....

Phender...that is an interesting theory...

Nick

Back