• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330057759.040213.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330057759.040213.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330057748.975111.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330057748.975111.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
I think it's slowly getting worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know what that is but it doesn't look good. Is the Achilles in QT? If not, I don't know how you are going to treat that.......Soak his food in garlic and vitamins and see if that helps but if that is progressing quickly I would think you would need to do something about it.

What size Achilles have better survival rate than in let say 300g reef setting.
I'm shopping for one and like to get some advise since they can be finicky.

Here in NY you can purchase an Achilles from certain LFS for anywhere from $95 to $150 for 3" to 4.5" however in order to get that price you need to take delivery as soon as the LFS gets their delivery. Which means you are taking a chance also no guarantees on these fish. If you purchase from Liveaquaria the prices are double (dependent upon the size) HOWEVER they give you a 14 day guarantee AND the fish is already eating. I've had good luck with their livestock...their delivery is always packed well and like I said I have acclimated their fish in the afternoon and then later that night fed them and they ate like pigs immediately (I'm talking about multiple species).

I think it's slowly getting worse.

Okay....read back a few posts and I see he is in QT. I would agree with most that you should keep a close eye on him and as was suggested soak his food with vitamins etc. Hopefully it will turn around.

No treatment. Just fed well and seems to be healing up. Appears to have been a scab from an injury. I think he lost his scalpel. He'll go in my display tank this week. Eating well, no other signs of disease. He's actually starting to be aggressive with the clown I keep in my QT.

Attachments

• IMG_2357.jpg
    IMG_2357.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2359.jpg
    IMG_2359.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
He did lose his scalpel on that side. I pointed out in my previous post where you could see the wound from it in the pictures.

Great to hear that he is doing better! The infection from the lost scalpel does appear to be clearing up quite well looking at the past and current pictures, and the resulting swelling looks as if it has gone down quite a bit too. I always prefer to let a fish fight off an infection on its own rather than resorting to antibiotics if the fish is healthy enough. Hopefully he'll now have a long and happy life in your tank. :)

For those that have had their achilles for a little while, I'm wondering what kind of growth rate to expect?

Are they about 1" per yr?

Mine is about 4.25". I've only had my AT about 2 months.

For those that have had their achilles for a little while, I'm wondering what kind of growth rate to expect?

Are they about 1" per yr?

Mine is about 4.25". I've only had my AT about 2 months.

My smaller ones are growing at about that rate, but my big one is just getting wider. I think my big one is pretty well maxed out at 9+"

just sharing my experience

purchase my AT on dec 10
feeding on pellets since day 1
badly infected with ich for the first 3 months

mar 11 - sep 11
ich, on and off, but improving

sep 11 - mar 12
totally ich free

mar 12
ich strike back, due to the death of eightline flasher wrasse

hopefully it will be ich free again, soon

just sharing my experience

purchase my AT on dec 10
feeding on pellets since day 1
badly infected with ich for the first 3 months

mar 11 - sep 11
ich, on and off, but improving

sep 11 - mar 12
totally ich free

mar 12
ich strike back, due to the death of eightline flasher wrasse

hopefully it will be ich free again, soon

How are you treating your ich infection? Or are you introducing new fish to the DT with out QT? Ich would not be transmitted just due to the death of a fish unless that fish was a non-QT'd fish and the catalyst for the infection. AT's are really susceptible to ich, but I've had great success treating it with Cupramine in QT without over stressing my AT's. Too many successive ich attacks and treatments can lead to other issues with the fish due to their sensitivity.

I used the bucket method. Not one sign of ich during transfers or QT. Scared the bejesus out of him when I caught him to put him in the DT, still no signs of ich days later. My first time using the bucket method but I'm sold on it.

I have finally pulled the trigger on my first achilles tang. He is sitting at the fish shop waiting for me to get off work. I am adding him with a chevron. Both are juveniles. They are going in a established 300 gallon reef with a 30 gallon surge device. I hoping that the flow is enough to make it happy. He is eating pellets at the store, and hopefully he continues to do so in my tank.

I am debating on the acclimation process. Normally i just float bags for a hour or two and release them in the tank.

THere are not many fish in there at the moment, a copper band butterfly and a yellow goby. I lost most of my tank in a long term power outage this winter.

My water temps this time of year is 75-76 and my salinity is 1.028. The temps should be pretty close by the time i get them home (1 hour commute) should i drip acclimate them as well? the shop runs 1.025.

heres my 4.25" achilles and 5.5" PBT. hardly any aggression to note of yet between the tangs.
they both stay on their side of the tank 95% of the day.

sorry for the poor quality video and cloudy water. i've been soaking a lot of zoecon/selecon.

the AT favorite food is actually PE mysis.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/P4oGqNK0pio" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

heres my 4.25" achilles and 5.5" PBT. hardly any aggression to note of yet between the tangs.

sorry for the poor quality video and cloudy water. i've been soaking a lot of zoecon/selecon.

QUOTE]

Out of curiosity how big is your tank?

QUOTE]

Out of curiosity how big is your tank?

his signature says 180G

Back