acro growing out of the water

Reef Dog

Hi all,
I have been keeping marine tanks since the early 90s, but now have a "problem". My problem is that one of my acropora has grown so big that it is shading one whole side of my tank & is growing out of the water in several spots. I did wish to move it down lower in the tank & have broken off a lot of the dead undergrowth that no longer gets light. Unfortunately for me, the acro has grown onto the overflow part of the tank quite high up, so moving it without damage to it, the tank or the surrounding corals seems improbable.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks all.

How is the coral doing? What did you decide to do with it? Any photos?

I can see the “shading” of others as a concern but “out of the water” that’s interesting.
I would think it wouldn’t go that far as the coral needs the polyp and polyp must remain at least wet.
This crazy coral below grew to the water surface, then started to grow outwards.

3ECFD6DE-4D2D-432D-9BBC-6659F0606611.jpeg

I can see the “shading” of others as a concern but “out of the water” that’s interesting.
I would think it wouldn’t go that far as the coral needs the polyp and polyp must remain at least wet.
This crazy coral below grew to the water surface, then started to grow outwards.

View attachment 32371061
I had corals do the same.

I’ve seen tips grow out of the water but not continued growth. I too am curious how it’s going?

Back