Acropora and normal florescence light ?

guntercb

Hello,

I know this is going to cause controversy, but I am going to be getting a 120-gallon tank (48" x 24" x 24"). I will have a 6" sand bed so the depth will really be 18". Is it possible to keep Acropora in this tank with the following lights:

4 T-12 6500K florescence overdriven with an IceCap660

4 54-watt T-5 actinic (not overdriven) with reflectors

If anyone has had success with acropora with only T-12 can you please let me know.

I am not looking for other lighting suggestions, I just want to know if if it is possible to keep Acropora long term under mainly T-12 lighting?

Thanks,
Chris

i would switch the t-5s to the 6500 and use the t12s for actinic. i think your chances of keeping the acros alive will be better, and imo the t5 actinics arent that impressive.

I agree with the suggestion, but I need to keep my cost down.

T-12s 65k cost about $5 / bulb and T-5 cost about $15 bucks a bulb. So to replace all the bulbs at once would cost $80.

If I switch to T-12 actnics and T-5 65 the bulb cost will be more like $25 for T-12 actinics and $15 bucks for 65k T-5 so if I replaced all the bulbs at once it would cost me $160.

80 dollars is alot easier on my wallet than 160. I am trying to be a frugal reefer. My wallet cannot afford much right now.

Can I do it with 4 T-12 65K and 4 t-5 actnics?

Thanks,
Chris

I would think that would not work. You could get 4 of the Aqua Blue 11k bulbs (T-5), they are bright white/not as yellow as the 6500k t-5 bulbs. I don't think the 4 T-12 bulbs will be enough for sps, but I have never used them either.

--Ray

just wondering why you are getting such a bigger tank if you can't really afford it?....maybe you should wait? You're going to need to upgrade much more than the lights for a 120g. from a 55g.....at least to do it successfully.-imo

Matt,

Don't worry. I am buying a used 120. It is pretty well equiped except for lights and maybe the water flow. But even water flow is pretty decend. It is over 4000 gph. But yes, I am probuably getting in over my head.

Back to the tread. Has anyone sucessfully kept SPS under T-12 tubes?

Thanks,
Chris

sps, yes, acros, probably not.

and i believe the 6500 t-5s can be had for less than $10 apeice.

Someone out there has to have sucessfully kept SPS under T-12s. I currently have a yellow/brown SPS SPS under 3 T-12 tubes that has grown really really well. But it is the only SPS I have. I got the frag for free so I decided what the heck. It has done well. I have had it for about 3 months and it has probuably tripled in size. It was only about 1" when I got it and it is well over 3" now.

Anyone have sucess keeping SPS under T-12 tubes?

Thanks,
Chris

Maybe if you keep asking someone will say yes.

Not to be rude...setting up a 120 can get expensive. Especially if you are going for an SPS tank. You are probably better off putting decent lights on you 55g and getting some frags. Then when they are grown out and you can afford a larger tank you will have nice colonies to transfer over. Thats what I'm doing.

CHECK OUT GARF... SALLY JO'S BULLET PROOF REEF IS A 55 WITH ALL T-12'S...THEY CLAIM IT IS POSSIBLE BUT SHE HAS 6 110 WATT BULBS OVER THE TANK WHICH EQUALS OUT TO BE 12 WATTS A GALLON. SHE ALSO HAS MOST OF THE CORALS IN THE TOP 1/2 OF THE TANK....... YOU MIGHT LOOK INTO LOWER LIGHT ACROS ALSO SUCH AS DEEPWATER ACROS...THEY REQUIRE LESS LIGHT AND HAVE NICE COLORATION.

You can keep some sps, such as pocillipora damicornis and maybe some montioporas, but i cannot see any acro making it under NO lights. You really should try and create as ideal of a habitat as you can for these corals, and for acropora t12s aren't ideal.

and if you do go with this lighting your sps will probably stay at least partially brown.

how about getting 2 6500 t5, and keeping sps directly underneath them as close to the top as possible.

don't go with so many actinics, the 6500k will benefit your corals much more.

I noticed the pricing about your lighting and stuff why dont u just go on ebay and buy a cheap metal halide light at least thats what I did 400 watt MH 15k light with ballast and batwing reflector for 100 smackers shipped :) I tried going cheap but in the long run you wont be able to keep very many sps especially acros and if u are able to keep them they are going to be ugly and brown

I suggest you try 4 54W T5HO with reflectors, with 2 ATI aquablue special and 2 ATI blue+. That sufficient to grow some SPS's.

Back