Acropora and normal florescence light ?

Lighting is a often debated issue here, spend some time reading, then read some more!! :)
IMHO, do not try acros under such poor lighting. Spend the money (you would have spent on acro) to get better lighting.

I'd run the opposite direction - white bulbs on the T-5's, actinic T-12. Might cost more, but unless Acropora grows on trees there - the cost is minimal compared to the price of the livestock you want to make thrive.

Just my opinion.

It can/has certainly been done. I honestly think that you should consider what MiddletonMark and others are saying, as you will be better off in that case.

at the least try replacing two of the t-5's actinics with 6500's. that should help and try that, if itworks post the results here, it is always cool to see someone try something new. remember a dsb,skimmer, and mh were new at sometime and i'm sure that someone told people not to do it.

Everyone, Thanks for your input. I think I will hold off from making this tank a SPS tank. I will look at setting it up for LPS or softies. I like the sway of the softies anyway. I just really like some of the color of SPS. But you guys are right, I don't want to do something that leads to failure. I guess little pockets and SPS don't mix. (-: Maybe I will get one MH and grow some SPS on one side of the tank.

I stilll have to figure out how I want to set up the tank. I am just doing my research. But one thing I know I need to keep cost low. OK keep your laughter to yourselfs. (-:

Thanks,
Chris

if you want to keep costs low, try some diy live rock, and keep an eye on the used equipment forums here on reefcentral, you can usually find some great deals.

Just keep your eyes out for local deals on equipment and the selling forum. You can build a tank for 2,000 or 10,000 with the same exact equipment. Just like a car, 2 guys can be driving down the road in the same car but one paid the depreciation of the new car and the other guy bought it 1 y/o for 10 grand less. There's no shortage of people in this hobby that keep changing thier equipment looking for that "better" bulb or ballast or skimmer or,,,,,,,,,,,

Low light IME didn't kill the Acropora/Montipora/Pocillapora I grew under PC. I have played around with this a bit - and with good water quality/flow - I don't doubt you can keep them.

But they didn't thrive like I'd like ... and they already grow slow enough to sometimes think `top speed' is a bit slow ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7258101#post7258101 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MiddletonMark
Low light IME didn't kill the Acropora/Montipora/Pocillapora I grew under PC. I have played around with this a bit - and with good water quality/flow - I don't doubt you can keep them.

But they didn't thrive like I'd like ... and they already grow slow enough to sometimes think `top speed' is a bit slow ;)

See, I did too, to an extent (and still do, sort of). anyway, I completely agree. Most of the time, light is not the killer of Acropora sp., etc., however (like many other animals) light is often blamed for an untimely demise. The ones I have do well. In some situations, they may not grow very fast, but not at a crawl, either. Overall, I am impressed at how much can be kept under lower lighting. Sure it may not bust the sides out of the tank with growth (at least not some of them :D), but you can still get decent coloration and growth with fluorescents.

Somehow missed page 2 when I posted ... but couldn't agree more about keeping an eye on local/here used forums. My skimmer, lighting, Tunzes ... all used :)

Not every seller is a good one, but there's a lot of great deals on good equipment, just have to be first to respond.

I have to think that the Stuber Acro was grown under low wattage NO considering it was like 20 years ago..
How much PAR could a tank full of NO put out? Knowing that would settle it.
I'll keep my MH till then () : )

Cheers,

grimmjohn

I ran 8 NO bulbs on my 120 for about 3 years until one of the ballasts fried then I was down to 7. Here is a picture from 2001.
scott300225End.jpg

Thanks,

Scott

Uh... cutsupremetrib your pretty anal tell your wife what to do not others on the board...if I want to type in capital letters who cares get a grip bud!!!!!

but if you write in all caps expect some people to not read it.

you could always not capitalize.

That is considered an internet crime. I'll agree and I don't read either usually. It means your mad about something and unless someone is in the mood to read drama they won't read it. But sometimes I like drama too! :lol:

also the over use of exclamation points drive me mad!!!!!!!

My Boss does this !!!! and it really gets annoying!!!!

Not everything needs to be so dramatic.

bye!!!!

Well my apologies to all who find this annoying....I did not realize that capitalized words were so terrible but now I know so I will keep it in lowercase........ I guess it is just habbit everybody at work uses capitalization so it has just flowed over to my home habit. My apologies again.

Back