Acrylic fabrication questions? I can help!

What's the temp and humidity you keep?
68F +/- 2degrees. Humidity at 70% max but can vary a little with fluctuations in dew point.

I'll try to adjust accordingly, trying different mixes, or go to last resort, fixing a AC unit in my garage. :dance:
What do you mean by grainy look?
too hard to explain and nigh impossible to photograph. When you come across it - you'll know ;)
And what do you think about Di acetone alcohol?
I don't. I don't know anything about it nor anyone who uses it. But acetone itself, while it will glue acrylic, simply pales in comparison to MC/EDC/AA

James

flush trim routing

flush trim routing

Does anyone use an over sized diameter bearing on their "flush" trim router bit for a first pass when cutting a template or flush trimming a top/bottom so that the final pass can remove less material and be smoother?

If not how do you get an edge with little or no router marks to make polishing easier?

The larger the diameter bit, generally, the less bit chatter and the smoother the finish. But it's near impossible to get a clean perfect finish with a router bit.

Thanks for the reply.
I am using a whiteside 1/2" spiral bit for trimming.
I understand it will never be perfect but I have noticed that if the bit is cutting through a lot of material it will not be as smooth.

So how do I get that smooth finish I get from shaving off a 1/32" when edge prepping, when trimming top/bottoms or cutting with a template?

Tape off right above the joint with blue tape and make the rough cut trim pass. Remove the tape and make a high-speed (but smooth) pass and that takes off the last 1/64" or less of material.

I have a large acrylic tank 96" X 30'' X 52'' tall. Front and back are 1 1/2'' thick sides are 1 1/4'' thick top and bottom are 1''.
Can I cut off the top, reattatch a solid 1'' piece. Cut openings in the back (which will become the eurobraced top) ?????
SO now the tank will be laying on its (original) face.
Is this doable????

Ok I'm making an ATS 3D box

1/4" acrylic

I want the inside to be 6"L x 2"W x 7"H

Is this right?

Base = 6 1/2" x 2 1/2"

Front/Back = 6 1/2" x 7 1/2"

Sides = 1 1/2" x 7 1/2"

My screen will be 5"x5" I want to make it a little longer so the bottom will sit in water. I'm going to use 3/4" PVC pipe I figured I could use a whole saw on the top of the sides.

Thoughts ideas suggestions

I have a large acrylic tank 96" X 30'' X 52'' tall. Front and back are 1 1/2'' thick sides are 1 1/4'' thick top and bottom are 1''.
Can I cut off the top, reattatch a solid 1'' piece. Cut openings in the back (which will become the eurobraced top) ?????
SO now the tank will be laying on its (original) face.
Is this doable????
"doable" ?? yup, but not exactly fun nor easy by any stretch. But yes - doable...maybe.
Assuming the tank is otherwise sound and is made of good material, which is almost likely given the size.
The main issue is to measure the memory in the front, which will become the bottom. If it's bowed - you may run into issues, the severity of which will be mostly determined by the amount of deflection left in the front pane. IF it's bowed, it won't sit flat and much of the strain that the bottom should take will be left on the joints.

I'd stick an 8' level up against it and see how much deflection is in the material. This will tell you just how feasible it really is.

HTH,
James

Ok I'm making an ATS 3D box

1/4" acrylic

I want the inside to be 6"L x 2"W x 7"H

Is this right?

Base = 6 1/2" x 2 1/2"

Front/Back = 6 1/2" x 7 1/2"

Sides = 1 1/2" x 7 1/2"

My screen will be 5"x5" I want to make it a little longer so the bottom will sit in water. I'm going to use 3/4" PVC pipe I figured I could use a whole saw on the top of the sides.

Thoughts ideas suggestions
For making a simple 5 sided box with inside dims of 6x2x7" high, using 1/4" acrylic:

..if you're gluing it, with a lip then routing that off:
(2) pieces 6.75 x 7" front and back
(2) pieces 2 x 7" ends
(1) piece 6.75 x 2.75" bottom

If trying to flush-glue it:
(2) pieces 6.5 x 7" front and back
(2) pieces 2 x 7" ends
(1) piece 6.5 x 2.5 bottom

HTH,
James

For making a simple 5 sided box with inside dims of 6x2x7" high, using 1/4" acrylic:

..if you're gluing it, with a lip then routing that off:
(2) pieces 6.75 x 7" front and back
(2) pieces 2 x 7" ends
(1) piece 6.75 x 2.75" bottom

If trying to flush-glue it:
(2) pieces 6.5 x 7" front and back
(2) pieces 2 x 7" ends
(1) piece 6.5 x 2.5 bottom

HTH,
James

Flush is what I was trying to figure out.

Thanks

Hey guys

First post and first build. I’ll be building this tank (60x18x20high) and then converting an old beat up glass 48x12x12 into a sump. I’m undertaking this project because most teachers like myself don't generally have the big bucks necessary to buy a system this size. Luckily, I have an exacting carpenter with 50 years experience as my helper (Thanks Dad). While he has a ton of experience virtually non of it is with acrylic. Being so inexperienced we'd like to over build to account for small mistakes. I'm ready to order my supplies but before I do, I'd like your opinions.

Tank will be 60 x 18 and 20 high. The top will be a 3 inch euro brace with one 3 inch cross brace. Local acrylic supply will be doing the cutting and polishing. I'm pretty much just gluing this sucker together. The quote I got is for 1/2inch acrylic. Was going to use plain old Weld-On4.

Some old posts in conjunction with the manufacturer's data sheets make me question if WO4 is really better than WO40. I've chosen 4 because it what everyone seem to be using with great success. After the tank is completed, to really over build, I'm contemplating using WO40. I plan to build a jig so the seams sit on a 45 degree angles with the floor and pour some WO40 on them so it runs 1/4 to 3/8 up each of the sides. (it would look similar to the silicon around a bath tub) When I saw this it was mainly to repair old tanks but stated it could be done with new tanks as well to increase seam stability.

1)1/2 inch is good ?

2) 3 inch euro brace with one 3 inch cross brace?

3) Thinking about changing the top piece to 60.25x18.25 to account for any of the angles not being perfect 90s and routing off the extra. Too much or too little margin for error?

3) What's best for a newbie - Stick with weld-on4 or add additional chemicals and mix? If so what exactly (you guys loose me with the acronyms) and how much do you recommend?

4) The WO40 after - Stronger? Weaker? No effect?

5) Suggestions for a stronger more idiot proof build of this size?

1)1/2 inch is good ?
for 20" high, that's good

3" perimeter, and a 6" cross brace every 24", in this case, since you are at an odd length of 60", make the perimeter 4" and one 6" crossbrace and that is probably good. Actually you are probably good with 3 & 6, James might comment to be sure

3) Thinking about changing the top piece to 60.25x18.25 to account for any of the angles not being perfect 90s and routing off the extra. Too much or too little margin for error?
You will want more than that. You need to have the front, back, top and bottom panels cut with minimum 1/8" overage in the appropriate areas. This means that the left/right pieces are cut to the inner dim with no overage, then for the front and back panels, the top and bottom edges have no overage (and these match the vertical dim of the end panels precisely) and ten the left/right edges have overage for flush trimming (1/8" + 1/8" = 1/4", and you can have MORE and that is OK as you will trim it off), then the top/bottom have 1/8" overage on all sides (so 1/4" extra for flush trimming all around, or more).

3) What's best for a newbie - Stick with weld-on4 or add additional chemicals and mix? If so what exactly (you guys loose me with the acronyms) and how much do you recommend?
WO4 is pretty decent but you can easily find a small amount of Methylene Chloride (make sure it is as pure as possible) and then some Glacial Acetic Acid and mix 95% MC and 5% AA, but if that's a total PITA then just use WO4.

Don't listen to **anyone** that doesn't build tanks. I don't care if you are talking to a company rep direct at Cyro, they don't know the real world. you do not need WO40, in fact, you're more likely to have a failure if you do. James has written up a very excellent explanation of this, in fact I think he posted it recently again in this thread. Search back for posts by "Acrylics"

After the tank is completed, to really over build, I'm contemplating using WO40. I plan to build a jig so the seams sit on a 45 degree angles with the floor and pour some WO40 on them so it runs 1/4 to 3/8 up each of the sides. (it would look similar to the silicon around a bath tub) When I saw this it was mainly to repair old tanks but stated it could be done with new tanks as well to increase seam stability.
Your choice of course, but this is IMO not necessary. If you build the tank properly in the first place, and set it on a flat level stand with proper support and 2x 3/4" plywood sheets (no foam) the tank should last you a long, long time.

Read back in this thread quite a ways, ask questions, learn the pins method, and tackle a small project first. Like making a small sump or pico tank, just out of 1/4".

Learn edge prep, how to use a router table (passing the material between the bit and the fence is something that most experienced woodworkers would NEVER consider...but it is a necessity here).

Make sure your euro cutouts have 3" minimum diameter (1.5" radius) on the inner corners

When you say this
Local acrylic supply will be doing the cutting and polishing.
1) rough cut edges are not good to work with. So you need to have any edges that are going to be bonded to other edges cut with enough overage so that they can be routed to weldable quality edges. Flush trim edges don't matter. End panels must be square, as perfectly square as you possible can get, if not perfectly square, they need to be off by the same amount (i.e. double-stick-taped together and routed at the same time)

2) polishing.....I bet they are thinking of flame polishing. Don't.

for 20" high, that's good

3" perimeter, and a 6" cross brace every 24", in this case, since you are at an odd length of 60", make the perimeter 4" and one 6" crossbrace and that is probably good. Actually you are probably good with 3 & 6, James might comment to be sure

You will want more than that. You need to have the front, back, top and bottom panels cut with minimum 1/8" overage in the appropriate areas. This means that the left/right pieces are cut to the inner dim with no overage, then for the front and back panels, the top and bottom edges have no overage (and these match the vertical dim of the end panels precisely) and ten the left/right edges have overage for flush trimming (1/8" + 1/8" = 1/4", and you can have MORE and that is OK as you will trim it off), then the top/bottom have 1/8" overage on all sides (so 1/4" extra for flush trimming all around, or more).

WO4 is pretty decent but you can easily find a small amount of Methylene Chloride (make sure it is as pure as possible) and then some Glacial Acetic Acid and mix 95% MC and 5% AA, but if that's a total PITA then just use WO4.

Don't listen to **anyone** that doesn't build tanks. I don't care if you are talking to a company rep direct at Cyro, they don't know the real world. you do not need WO40, in fact, you're more likely to have a failure if you do. James has written up a very excellent explanation of this, in fact I think he posted it recently again in this thread. Search back for posts by "Acrylics"

Your choice of course, but this is IMO not necessary. If you build the tank properly in the first place, and set it on a flat level stand with proper support and 2x 3/4" plywood sheets (no foam) the tank should last you a long, long time.

Read back in this thread quite a ways, ask questions, learn the pins method, and tackle a small project first. Like making a small sump or pico tank, just out of 1/4".

Learn edge prep, how to use a router table (passing the material between the bit and the fence is something that most experienced woodworkers would NEVER consider...but it is a necessity here).

Make sure your euro cutouts have 3" minimum diameter (1.5" radius) on the inner corners

When you say this

1) rough cut edges are not good to work with. So you need to have any edges that are going to be bonded to other edges cut with enough overage so that they can be routed to weldable quality edges. Flush trim edges don't matter. End panels must be square, as perfectly square as you possible can get, if not perfectly square, they need to be off by the same amount (i.e. double-stick-taped together and routed at the same time)

2) polishing.....I bet they are thinking of flame polishing. Don't.

Thank you soon much !!

I'd pretty much echo what Floyd said. 3" euro-brace with 6" cross-brace would be great.

Have all parts routed (machined) to size (NOT SAW-CUT) with tolerances +/-.005" this is not difficult at all for anyone decent. Do not accept a flame polished edge, your chances of crazing go through the roof if gluing flame polished edges.

I'd strongly encourage you to *not* pour WO40 over a glued joint. The propensity for crazing goes *way* up.

Don't use old WO4, just toss it. Get new stuff

Please please please get good material. Do not shop by price as not all acrylics are made the same. The two best are Polycast and Plexiglas G. Anything else is essentially garbage for our purposes.

For a little tutorial, look up a thread I started a few years ago called "DIY Tank, step by step" or something to this effect. I haven't started many threads so should be easy to find, you'll get pretty much all the basics in the first coupla pages :)

HTH,
James

Hey guys

First post and first build. I'll be building this tank (60x18x20high) and then converting an old beat up glass 48x12x12 into a sump. I'm undertaking this project because most teachers like myself don't generally have the big bucks necessary to buy a system this size. Luckily, I have an exacting carpenter with 50 years experience as my helper (Thanks Dad). While he has a ton of experience virtually non of it is with acrylic. Being so inexperienced we'd like to over build to account for small mistakes. I'm ready to order my supplies but before I do, I'd like your opinions.

Tank will be 60 x 18 and 20 high. The top will be a 3 inch euro brace with one 3 inch cross brace. Local acrylic supply will be doing the cutting and polishing. I'm pretty much just gluing this sucker together. The quote I got is for 1/2inch acrylic. Was going to use plain old Weld-On4.

Some old posts in conjunction with the manufacturer's data sheets make me question if WO4 is really better than WO40. I've chosen 4 because it what everyone seem to be using with great success. After the tank is completed, to really over build, I'm contemplating using WO40. I plan to build a jig so the seams sit on a 45 degree angles with the floor and pour some WO40 on them so it runs 1/4 to 3/8 up each of the sides. (it would look similar to the silicon around a bath tub) When I saw this it was mainly to repair old tanks but stated it could be done with new tanks as well to increase seam stability.

1)1/2 inch is good ?

I'm having trouble finding 22 gage applicator bottles. I tried amazon but they don't seem to carry that size for some reason. They have a ton of 25 and 18 gage. I was told to use 22 gage for weldon 4.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Back