AEF Solution?

bangai64

I want to share my recent experience with AEF's, and what I believe may be the natural solution to my problem.

I have been battling AEF's now for quite some time. basically weekly dips/baths in Bayer trying to get ahead of the infestation. Just when thought I had it licked, another acro would fall victim to the little monsters. So after a few months of this, i began to think, after many battles, the war was lost, and I would just let them eat what they wanted, and when their food source was gone, I would wait for them to die off and start all over.

So one day, I noticed one of the acros I had put down on the sand bed had a couple of blue legs on it and they appeared to be picking something off and eating it. I couldn't tell what, but it didn't matter.I know their opportunisic feeders, and will eat whatever they find. So it gave me an idea. I took all my acros, mainly frags and put them down on the sand bed and bought more blue legs. It seem its easier for the crabs to maneuver on the bottom to get to the acros, versus on the rocks. Sure enough the next day I noticed a lot of the blue legs on the acros grazing away. Again not being able to see what were eating, but they were definitely eating something. Altogether, I stopped the bayer treatments and figured at this point what do i have to lose. I even went a step further and bought eggcrate and made racks for my acros nd transferred the below with about 100 blue legs. Added 300 to the main tank. You can get a good deal on these off of ebay from the keys. Its been about 7-8 weeks now with no Bayer treatments and all my acros are healthy and doing well. It seems the little guys have done the job for me. Not one acro is stressed or discolored, not the milli's or tri colors, which the flatworms seem to love. When i started this experiment I know that some of these acros ahad flatworms on them because they were sad looking, but ahve fully recovered and are now thriving again. The trick is, to make the acros as accessible as possible to the blue legs and make sure their hungry. Lol!

The milli in the first pic was about dead. Now it's happy again w/ good polyp extension. If you look closely, you can see a blue leg on it.

Last edited:
TAKE MY MONEY!!!!
lol. jk.
But, i like this. I'm going to be setting up a qt system for my corals very soon.
I might wait and see until I actually do get an Acro with signs of AEFW and then add Blue-Legged Craps and do somewhat of a controlled experiment by keeping the craps away from 2 separate, infected frags.
Thanks for this post. Any info on defeating these nasty bugs is great!

Well I don't know if this is it but there has to be a natural predator to aefw of the reefs would be in trouble since they do reproduce quickly. Old if these is it since most in the hobby have blue legs in there tanks.maybe they picking at algae growth from dead tissue?

the blue legs are far more effective when the acros are on the bottom versus on the rocks . It seem most of the time the crabs are on the sand bed and not on the rock.

I did, They stay on for a while and then move on. Now since I released 300 of them in the main tank they are everywhere to include the rock. When I first started the experiment I had a lot less.

Well I don't know if this is it but there has to be a natural predator to aefw of the reefs would be in trouble since they do reproduce quickly. Old if these is it since most in the hobby have blue legs in there tanks.maybe they picking at algae growth from dead tissue?

Blue legs eat more than just algae. They'll eat anything they can get there claws on.

I like this idea for sure. Ive let my blue leg population dwindle over the last 2 years, I think Im going to repopulate. Thanks for sharing!

Back